All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Property/Neighborhood Review NE Wi

Doohop65

5 year old buck +
I have continued to search for the right property to purchase and came across this today while waiting for a meeting to start.

It is just outside shawano/waupaca county in Marathon county but not by much. It seems interesting but would like some thoughts.

Anybody with insights on the quality of the deer herd and neighbors in this area are appreciated.

It appears to have a little more low ground than I would like but I am only guessing based on the ariels. I may be wrong.

I have a young family (3&4 yr old)and am looking for a property that we can enjoy as a family along with some good friends. I want that hunting camp experience.

Let me know your thoughts.

https://www.uchuntingproperties.com.../marathon/cabin-80-acres-mature-deer-hunting/

Can't answer any of your questions ...but what's not to like. That'd go fast in Missouri.

Looks like a decent spot to me!

Appears to be quite a bit of low ground. Tough to get a feel from pictures. Go take a look. Apparently there were some nice deer on it at one time. The cabin looks great! Good luck!

Since I'm from the hills and hollers of missouri, what is low ground? Flood plane area?

I pulled up a topo and it is on the lower side through the middle but not excessively low. Could be great bedding area.

I emailed the realtor to get an idea if the property is all walkable/dry or if hip boots are needed. If that is the case I am not interested.

Once I get some information back from the realtor I will have a better idea if I want to walk it.

I am still hoping some folks that hunt that area will chime in.

Dont know anything directly about that area but if that is the same comet creek nearby that is also in Waupaca cty they have very good deer hunting there. Also know of hunters in Shawano due east of there also good. Wittenberg is known to have some swampy areas close by, bear sightings are more common that way along with unfortunately some wolves. I would still think deer hunting would be good. Price with that cabin and garage very reasonable.

Btw, this listing is also on zillow.com last 19 days over 3000 visits

Excellent deer area. Go 10 miles to the east into Waupaca county and you would be paying $5000 an acre without cabin and pole building.

Looks like a nice place, hopefully they are not selling because it now has a wolf population and they are getting out while the getting is good.

One thing I would check is how close the deer farm is that had CWD positive deer a couple years ago.

One thing I would check is how close the deer farm is that had CWD positive deer a couple years ago.

Good call, that area has a big red circle around centered not too far SE of Elderon for study

You guys are quite the resource. I really appreciate it.

It appears the cwd preserve positive results are within 5 miles as a crow flies. How concerned should a guy be?

I pulled up a topo and it is on the lower side through the middle but not excessively low. Could be great bedding area.

I emailed the realtor to get an idea if the property is all walkable/dry or if hip boots are needed. If that is the case I am not interested.

Once I get some information back from the realtor I will have a better idea if I want to walk it.

I am still hoping some folks that hunt that area will chime in.

The buildings look to be in good shape which is a real plus you won't be inheriting a maintenance problem. I would put their value at ~$80-90k, which means asking price per acre is ~$2500/acre.

If portions are not easy to walk, that is a positive in my mind. Keeps neighbors out and makes for better sanctuary conditions. Bucks tend to head there when the pressure is on.

I would check the county platt map and look at the size of parcels surrounding this property. If this is one of the smaller parcels, that is good, if surrounded by smaller parcels, not good. That will tell you more about the hunting potential than any comments.

As far as needing waders on ground... a few strategically placed high spots in that wet ground could be some killer beds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also agree with the low ground is a good thing. I only have about 5 acres of low land, but it is part of about 60 acres of low land. The deer like the low land, it is their safe area. I dont enter it, unless I have to track a deer. I wouldnt want more then 50% of my land to be in low land, but I would consider 50% a good thing as well.

I would check the county platt map and look at the size of parcels surrounding this property. If this is one of the smaller parcels, that is good, if surrounded by smaller parcels, not good. That will tell you more about the hunting potential than any comments.

Don't need any plat book to make some predictions for here. First though I agree that multiple 20 acre or less parcels adjoining means lots of neighbors. But for this piece which has a fair amount of swamp around, usually swamp ground is not busted up much. No reason to bust up something most didn't want/couldn't farm/can't build and was cheap to begin with. Now of course we are talking about the modern day where more and more land is fragmented driven by land costs in the thousands of dollars/acre and only so much in the little guy's checkbook. My prediction is that 80 acres is considered by many to be a decent size parcel due to land costs so yes there will be smaller ones somewhat close. At least in central WI. Go way north, different rules. That neighborhood probably has a bunch of 40s and some bigger.

My last prediction is a bigger landowner for a neighbor is still an unknown. My farmer neighbor with over 200 acres leases to two different hunter groups and now his son has started hunting too. So it's still like 3 separate groups near me and the different owner on the fourth side leases too.

My thought is the CWD issue is driving land values down some in the short term there. If you don't wanna hold for a few decades until the rest of WI is in the same situation, might want to keep that in mind. Afraid of CWD for the wife/kids enjoying your vennie or just that they may choose not to have, another consideration. No CWD to wildcard land values and I had a pile of loose change, I'd be in.

I have a couple co-workers that are from that area. One family has been in that area for three generations. We looked at a map today and it turns out he has cousins that own farms on hwy 49, about a mile east of the property you are looking at. They practice QDM and have decent hunting. If you can be in the area this Saturday, they are having an open house at one of the farms where they make maple syrup. That farm is on Mcdivitt rd, just east of 49. You can checkout their facebook page at "Wellers Sugarbush" for details. That farm is 1.5 miles from the property, so it might be a good way to meet people in the area and learn first-hand about the hunting. If that doesn't work for you, I may be able to put you in touch with one of these landowners.

Keith

The property is surrounded by 2 large owners with 250 acres and 500 or so acres from what I can tell.

The cwd things is a bit of a concern but I don't know that it is a deal breaker.

The realtor emailed me back and verified it is only 30% wooded with the remainder lower land. It isn't wet enough to need hip boots according to him. I will reserve judgment until I see it. The lack of trees is my bigger corncern. I am worried this will make the property hunt much smaller.

Keith, thanks for the information. Unfortunately I have people in town this weekend because we are cooking our own syrup this weekend and won't be able to make it up there.

I have to be in marshfield for work later this week so I am going to try and sneak by it and see what I think.

Here's the USGS topo along with recent NAIP aerials
29542cb02c9090f798337cc976f724f6.jpg
d1f0620f504bf4550c56e153f74d6333.jpg

Shows to be marsh.

This place would be THE place for bucks to get away from surrounding hunting pressure...

I like the looks of it, but I'd die to have marshes to hunt down here in Texas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me like I see 4 tower stands, more of a gun/rifle type property vs. a lot of bowhunting options if that's your thing. Worth taking a look anyway, but would guess that lowland cover is not real tall. I still would take a northwoods swamp over marsh = reeds, sedges, canary grass and loon dodo. A real marsh is better for ducks than bucks unless you are right adjacent to the higher/farm ground.