Property help

archer100

A good 3 year old buck
So it has been slow process but finally getting everything need to really start working this property over. Footplot stuff plus trying to learn as much as can on this property management stuff. Anyways, going into our winter months here, so prefect for learning and planning.

Want to start doing some hinge cutting on these 2 properties which are 6 miles apart. As can see from topo maps, one is flatter then the other.
I have some ideas on what/where I think should start hinge cutting plus some needed other work.

Hoping could get some good ideas on where to start and hit it hard next year. The one property has some food plots already in place but the one only has the hayfield down the middle, which I can turn into a bigger food plot

On first property, green is existing food plots. The purple are some little alfalfa plots previous owner had placed.

Second property has the yellow field which I can turn strictly into a good food plot.

Hope not asking too much just a newbie who wants to learn!!!

c423ed7d44f1c0acc91ed7fa08b5469d.png

6f4e11223a93d9dff6a86289597177f2.png

e6d4477a1d28eac4913e7b4cd7465a60.png

c9fcfe1ee016d720e4fa9d68444e6bfa.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rough time of year. Lots of guys are hunting. These threads get more play after the season when we're all bored and stuck inside..

Have you read through this? http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/sample-plan.355/

Figure out where and why you want stands and plan from there. But do make a plan before going hog wild with the chainsaw. :)

Take the down time and do some reading if you haven't already (I used to read a page at a time while on stand to pass the less prime times). Some books I recommend and have myself that can help you construct some ideas of your own...

"Mapping Trophy Bucks" - Brad Herndon - will help you understand how to look at the topography and use what you have to your advantage as we often can't change the topography much.

"Whitetail success by design" - Jeff Sturgis - this is one book of a 3 book series ( I have all 3 - but suggest starting with this one based on your desires)

"Whitetail deer management and habitat improvement" - Steve Bartylla - one of several books Steve has written. Down to earth approach to deer hunting and again focuses on hunting and setting properties up for better hunting.

If you need some help with the plots...Sturgis book (foodplot success by design) and a collective work by Kammermeyer/Miller/Thomas "Quality food plots" is a good one as well. Just keep in mind these will focus on the actual plots and not so much where to put them or how to use them to your advantage.

A recent post about the affects of habitat improvements making hunting harder. When you improve everything - and make lots of food available, you can make hunting harder as the travel patterns become far more difficult to determine. Also focus on getting to and from your stand undetected as THE top priority. No point in doing this work just to find it impossible to hunt a great location.

I've looked at this one before, and it's just one of many from others contributors that will evoke my response.

It's incredibly difficult to look at posted pictures, just snapshots at a moment in time, and make sound, reasonable suggestions. I don't know where your located. That's important in order to understand the food stresses, or call them constraints. That leads to thoughts about food plots. The imagery is great, if of low quality. That makes it hard to understand land use. Also, it's always instructive to look at the BIG area around your area of interest. There's no scale on the maps which would help understand the scope of the project and what to assume about the interval between contour lines on the topo maps? Should we assume they are 20 ft.?

Hinge cutting? Do you own the property? Will it be allowed? How old is the forest? What kinds of trees are in there and what size?

To use an old use an old phrase, the devil is in the details.

Yep, we need more information. Is the property in Wisconsin or Florida?

I can tell you this much

1). you need pictures that give us more of the surrounding land types and possible features we can’t see.

2) it seems that both properties are great parcels, but we need to know approximate acreage. It looks significant for both pieces, but we need to know from a scale size perspective.

3. It seems from my opinion like property #2 would be the quickest turn around for habitat improvements and benefits, with the funneled areas already in place thanks to the fields and ravines. The swamp and water sources from property #1 will help long term with funneling and provide great habitat for all wildlife.

4. How old is the timber on both parcels on average? Or, what majority of species and how big in diameter on average? Any marketable timber?

5. What equipment do you have to help you?

6. Do you own them?

7. How many people will be hunting these properties on average, and at max.

8. What are your management goals for age of bucks initially (within 5 years)?

9. What state and what part of that state are you in?

10. What history do you know on the pieces for previous hunting successes or lack of hunting pressure?

That should get us going.

Sorry. Hadn’t checked in last few days

Up in northern North Dakota. Both parcels are 160 acres. Yes own both. Just my family that will be hunting it. Kids are young and want to get some work done on it to help make it there honey hole.

Will read the other replies more in details and help fill the gaps some. In between checking trail cameras now

Both properties are around 6-10 miles south of Canada border up on the Turtle Mountains of Northern North Dakota.

I have a plotmaster, mowers and also a toolcat if need other work.

The parcel 2 or bottom parcel, has the crop land rented out and also some hay land which I can convert into more food plots if need.

Like said in previous post, I want to just slowly get som age structure and a good place for my kids to enjoy. We have other properties to hunt until then.

As far as the trees, they old. Haha. Not sure on the timber selling aspect, would have to look at possibly in the second parcel open the big woods some. Is lots of oaks tho.

Will get a bigger perspective picture soon

You are very lucky to have a property in that area. Excellent area.

I don’t know if I can offer advice. Hunt it and put up lots of cameras. Then execute a plan once you get a feel for the land.