All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures from the stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunted over one of our food plots tonight, don't hunt over it only a couple times a year because you need a north wind and we had one tonight. Saw one decent buck but he didn't come close enough.

Looking east.

NE

NW

Buck at 80yds

Mo, hate to bust your bubble, 62 bu/acre beans.

Can't bust mine.

My neighbor/renter says he has the best corn crop he has ever seen on the dry land.
He has not started on the irrigated acres yet.

Looking west from a stand on the edge of black oaks raining acorns right now
d225383e90b994d293a8154f7515d15c.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Looking west from a stand on the edge of black oaks raining acorns right now
d225383e90b994d293a8154f7515d15c.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
What are the native species of trees in your area and that light soil? Stu has mentioned the black oaks to me. Our pin oaks might serve about the same purpose.

What are the native species of trees in your area and that light soil? Stu has mentioned the black oaks to me. Our pin oaks might serve about the same purpose.
Black oaks, jack pine, and white pine make up a very large majority of trees in the area. Red pines are commonly planted also.

Are Black Oaks, what they call a post oak. Or is Post oak something different and farther south?

Black oaks, jack pine, and white pine make up a very large majority of trees in the area. Red pines are commonly planted also.
How do white pine do on that soil, or in the natural state, are they pretty much along the edge of wet areas?

How do white pine do on that soil, or in the natural state, are they pretty much along the edge of wet areas?
They grow everywhere even with no wet areas in the vicinity. And they grow fast. Neck and neck with the red pines.

They grow everywhere even with no wet areas in the vicinity. And they grow fast. Neck and neck with the red pines.
Do you get an August drought, say 3 years out of 5 or so?

yup, add some fire (pin) cherries and those^^^^ would constitute well over 95% of what my folks' place was made up of.

bueller, thanks for posting that pic...sure brings back some memories :) I don't miss plotting and planting in that type of habitat, but I do miss the aesthetic qualities. I used to love the smell of sweet fern while bowhunting there.
Aka chokecherries??? I forgot to mention those.

sandbur, Hazelnut is a very common shrub here. The clusters in the background of that photo are hazelnuts.

Is much jack pine eaten as winter browse?

Do you get an August drought, say 3 years out of 5 or so?
At least. Even this year which was wet for the most part we had a 3-4 week period in the summer when we received no rain.

Is much jack pine eaten as winter browse?
If it is I haven't noticed it. Strangely enough our white pines don't seem to get browsed to death like many people experience. The scrub oaks are browsed heavily. Heck some are probably 25 years old and still 4 feet tall.

You out there hunting now bueller?

Next weekend is looking like some nice cool temps. Can't wait til Friday night!

Rye is looking good!
Yep. I've gotta take advantage of the time when I have it available. I'll likely be back next weekend. Nothing to speak of on cams this last week again.

Not from the stand yet but I will be moving one near here soon. Found this 100 yards off my property on state land. There is a thin strip of woods separating this beaver pond from a huge dry beaver pond on my property. I saw a nice buck skirting the edge two weeks ago heading toward this pond. I could hear the geese all morning so I decided to do a little scouting. I will do an all day sit first weekend in November. It will be riffle season so it will be interesting to see what goes on in the beaver meadow( probably 20 acres).
image.jpg

Not from the stand yet but I will be moving one near here soon. Found this 100 yards off my property on state land. There is a thin strip of woods separating this beaver pond from a huge dry beaver pond on my property. I saw a nice buck skirting the edge two weeks ago heading toward this pond. I could hear the geese all morning so I decided to do a little scouting. I will do an all day sit first weekend in November. It will be riffle season so it will be interesting to see what goes on in the beaver meadow( probably 20 acres).
View attachment 7714
I like those types of funnels or half funnels for the rut in big woods situations.
What is growing in your dry beaver pond? Is it still bare dirt from a recent drainage-if so scatter some rye, or clover.

I like those types of funnels or half funnels for the rut in big woods situations.
What is growing in your dry beaver pond? Is it still bare dirt from a recent drainage-if so scatter some rye, or clover.

It looks like it has been drained for a while. There are some shrubs, but most of it is waist high grass and some other kinds of weeds. I thought I took some pics but I guess I didn't. It looks like prime bedding. The best part is it's very secluded and very big. It should be great till the snow flattens it. Once we get some snow I will do some more scounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.