Paw paw trees at southern states

nateb440

5 year old buck +
my favorite local store for great deals on late season trees got a new manager. Boo. She I asking astronomical prices for trees that are half dead after sitting in the lot for 6 months. I'm about to make an offer on some pawpaws that still look ok. What would you pay? One or two gallon, about 3 feet tall.

I tried to explain to her why she still has so many trees. Haha

I'm not sure what they are worth. Pawpaw are difficult to transplant under the best circumstances. You'll have to remove them from the pots are manually prune any circling or j-hooking roots. Pawpaw seem to do better when transplanted in the spring rather than fall. They don't seem to handle winter well if not established. Pawpaw are also photosensitive when young.

I grew some from seed in rootmakers and kept them on my shaded lower deck for 2 years. I transplanted them to the farm in full sun this spring right before they broke dormancy. Most trees transplant very well from Rootmakers. A few of them did not leaf out. Many leafed out and then dropped their leaves during the summer. Keep in mind that I don't provide any supplemental water during the summer. If I had the ability to do that, I'm sure they would have done better. Some of them kept their leaves all season and are just now losing leaves as they should. I'm sure they made it. The rest, I won't know for sure until next spring. Sometimes when stressed from transplant, a tree may stay dormant all summer. I've seen bare root persimmons do this.

With many trees, you can buy leftovers on the cheap and get enough that succeed to save money. With pawpaw, I really doubt that. If I were planting pawpaw trees, I probably look for a nursery that specializes in them. They are not an easy or fast growing tree. Mine all did great in rootmakers with good home care. They are probably the tree that is most at risk when I planted them in the field.

Thanks,

Jack

Great stuff. Thanks Jack. I planted 10 from nativ nurseries two years ago I late winter/early spring. Nearly all are doing really well. I tubed them and put them on an edge between woods and field. Toward the end of this summer they finally started to put on some upward growth. I thought these might give them a little company. I might offer 5 bucks a piece for them. She's still wanting 20$!!

Wildlife Group sells bareroot bundles of 10 for $3 per tree. Advertised as 12-24 inches.

Native, in your experience, do bareroot trees grow faster than potted trees once planted? I'm in central ky and have some clay I'm dealing with. It's taking a couple years for my bare roots to get going but they're making it.

If they aren't grafted varieties, i would not bother with them.

Native, in your experience, do bareroot trees grow faster than potted trees once planted? I'm in central ky and have some clay I'm dealing with. It's taking a couple years for my bare roots to get going but they're making it.

It just depends on different factors. I have no trouble with bareroot trees of any kind. I planted some of the WG paw paws a few years ago and they did just fine. What county are you in?

It just depends on different factors. I have no trouble with bareroot trees of any kind. I planted some of the WG paw paws a few years ago and they did just fine. What county are you in?
Madison. Close to the ky river. It's steep and wild And challenging land. But I'm making the most of what I've got.

It depends on the pots. This is not specific to pawpaw, but bare root trees have their tap root and other roots pruned as part of the extraction process. They often cut back the tops of bare root trees to balance them. The saying with bare root trees is year 1, sleep, year 2, creep, and year 3 leap. B&B trees are a bit better as there is generally a larger root ball extracted, but transportation cost pretty much preclude anything beyond local.

Trees grown in smooth pots kind of depend on how fast growing the tree is and how large the pot is. If you transplant them before the tap root begins to circle or j-hook they will grow faster than bare root trees. If the roots circle or j-hook they tree can do real well for quite a few years and then the roots constrict themselves as they grow and you have issues. The problem is that you don't know until you unpot them and disturb the roots. If they circle or j-hook it is best to prune them by hand, but with all that disturbance, they act more like bare root trees.

Trees grown in a root pruning container system don't have those issues. They have no tap root because roots have been pruned at each stage causing up stream branching. The grow faster while in the containers because energy isn't wasted. Roots are pruned as the hit the container openings. Energy is then directed at a combination of upstream branching and top growth. Unlike bare root trees which must be transplanted when dormant, you can transplant one of these trees in the dead of summer if you provide supplemental water as needed. They just continue growing as the stress from transplant is minimal.

I've noticed that my trees grown in rootmakers do slow down after transplanting. That is largely due to the difference in soil fertility between my native clay soil and the fertilized medium I use in containers. Keep in mind that I'm working at volume, so once a tree makes it to the field, it gets almost no care.

Time will tell how pawpaws will do grown this way. Mine were all seed grown. Most of the seeds came from some of Lehman's controlled crosses but some came from KSU and others. I like the idea of genetic varieties. While I do plan to eat some, the primary purpose is wildlife.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't think I've ever said this on here, but thank you to all those who post and help out us newbies. I can't tell you how much I've learned from y'all. Much respect from central ky!
Once winter hits I hope to start a thread from the beginning to chart the progress on my 50 acres. I'm hoping someday to buy more surrounding land that lends to better hunting and habitat work. I can only dream that my place produces the fruit that some of your places do some day. Thanks for the replies.