All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overwintering potted tree seedlings

tullybonnie11

Yearling... With promise
After having had several frosts already, I am thinking about my next steps for where to store my oak and apple seedlings for planting next year. I have them in pots and am looking to overwinter them in my raised beds in my garden.

My question is: will they be insulated enough planted in their pots in a raised bed or should I come up with an alternative location?

Here in this part of CNY, we are in zone 5 with low temperatures of -20 an occasional possibility in the coldest years. Planting in the beds would be much easier than digging a trench to put them in the ground. The beds are 4' wide by various lengths up to 8' with a soil depth of 12" or so.

I’ve done that before, putting 5 gallon rootmaker pots into my raised beds. I’m a bit warmer here. My preference would be to plant out rather than overwinter.

I have a couple pots that have not been buried the last couple winters and they have survived. I wouldn’t recommend that approach, just been lazy with a few trees I’m not worried about.