All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overcup Oak

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
It has become apparent that when I planted White Oaks several years ago, the nursery got a few Overcup Oaks mixed in with them. These trees are growing well, but based on what I have read, it will still be probably 10 more years before I see any acorns from them.

They are not native to my area and I would like some information from anyone who has experience with them. I have read that the acorns are not highly preferred but do get eaten to some degree. I would like some feedback from anyone who has actual experience with them.

I have a ton of overcup on my place. Bottomland tree, capable of growing in water half the year. They are slower to mature than white oak and they are one of the less preferred acorns - but they will eat them if nothing else. Squirrels and hogs quicker to get on them than deer.

I have a ton of overcup on my place. Bottomland tree, capable of growing in water half the year. They are slower to mature than white oak and they are one of the less preferred acorns - but they will eat them if nothing else. Squirrels and hogs quicker to get on them than deer.

Good information. I see mixed information about how tall they get. Some sources say only 40 feet and others up to 100 feet. What do you see? Do they compete well against other trees that like wet places like sweetgum for instance?

They are typical white oak size down here. Big white oaks probably get bigger - but 70’ trees, 20-24” diam common. They grow wetter than sweet gum, so sweet gum not much competition for them. Elevation wise - would be between willow and sweetgum.

They are typical white oak size down here. Big white oaks probably get bigger - but 70’ trees, 20-24” diam common. They grow wetter than sweet gum, so sweet gum not much competition for them. Elevation wise - would be between willow and sweetgum.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.