Bee and butterfly program

Fryguy

A good 3 year old buck
Do any of you guys have any experience with this program or know anyone who has? I came across their website last night. A program in the Midwest that helps establish native pollinator plants. They pay for in full or partially for the seed and you agree to maintain for at least 5 years. I'm interested just looking for any testimonials.

I have a friend who participated in it a couple years ago (NW Wisconsin). He has a power line right of way on his property and someone actually knocked on his door to propose the idea.

I think he did either 1/2 acre or a full acre and they provided him with the seed…..which was VERY expensive. He did the work himself.

I’ll get some better details from him and post it up for you.

Appreciate the info. Yea I'm looking to do roughly 2.5 to 3 acres and whoa seed cost.

Sounds like an interesting program!

I can not speak to it but I did enter into a landowner agreement with US Fish and Wildlife , Partners for Wildlife on my land. I am in the epicenter for the Fed endangered Karner Blue Butterfly . With the help of Partners for wildlife we forestry mulched 28 acres, herbicided and planted a native seed mix with 40 plus native flowers and 6 native grasses. I do not want to mention numbers but Partners bore a large percentage of the costs including all the seed, mulching and most of the herbicding. Every landowner agreement is different as far as cost sharing. I am located in Central Wisconsin, Waushara County.

You might want to consider contacting Partners and arranging a site visit. As far as I know site visits are at no cost.
One consideration with Partners is the term of the landowners agreement. 10 years versus 5 for Bee and Butterfly. I will say this however, I was expecting a landowner agreement that was pages and pages long with commitments, requirements,legalease etc. It was about two paragraphs long and was as close to a handshake agreement as possible.

I ran Bee and Butterfly program by the Partners biologist that I work with on my property and he mentioned that Bee and Butterfly does not utilize local genotype seeds in their seed mixes. If that is a concern you might want to have that discussion with them before planting.

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting program!

I can not speak to it but I did enter into a landowner agreement with US Fish and Wildlife , Partners for Wildlife on my land. I am in the epicenter for the Fed endangered Karner Blue Butterfly . With the help of Partners for wildlife we forestry mulched 28 acres, herbicided and planted a native seed mix with 40 plus native flowers and 6 native grasses. I do not want to mention numbers but Partners bore a large percentage of the costs including all the seed, mulching and most of the herbicding. Every landowner agreement is different as far as cost sharing. I am located in Central Wisconsin, Waushara County.

You might want to consider contacting Partners and arranging a site visit. As far as I know site visits are at no cost.
One consideration with Partners is the term of the landowners agreement. 10 years versus 5 for Bee and Butterfly. I will say this however, I was expecting a landowner agreement that was pages and pages long with commitments, requirements,legalease etc. It was about two paragraphs long and was as close to a handshake agreement as possible.

I ran Bee and Butterfly program by the Partners biologist that I work with on my property and he mentioned that Bee and Butterfly does not utilize local genotype seeds in their seed mixes. If that is a concern you might want to have that discussion with them before planting.
Now with you doing 28 acres, do suppose they'd mess with smaller acreage? I'm looking at 3 or so. There's a bit more available to work with but definitely not as much as you.

Now with you doing 28 acres, do suppose they'd mess with smaller acreage? I'm looking at 3 or so. There's a bit more available to work with but definitely not as much as you.
Yes, Partners will consider a project your size. I live about 15 miles from my land and Partners and I did a 1/4 acre backyard native seeding here at my house also.

One of the reasons I ended up working with Partners is that they have wide parameters when considering a project. IMHO it is at least worth a phone call and site visit.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Which ever program you end up working with I think you will really enjoy seeing the results!

I am 6 years into my 10 year landowner agreement and the transformation that has happened on my 56 acre recreation land is nothing short of amazing. Many folks have the impression that planting natives only benefits bees and butterflies. Far from the truth! The diversity of wildlife that has moved in still astounds me.

Fantastic! I'm always interested in that.