All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Older deer with not much headgear for age??

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I'm seeing some age on this one. What do you guys think?

Yep, old man for sure.

That deer reminds me of a nice northwoods buck. They have less antlers than ag country deer.

That deer reminds me of a nice northwoods buck. They have less antlers than ag country deer.

His ancestors could have come from there. In my part of the state deer were restocked many years ago, and I would say they came from all around.

He is the only deer on my place that has run alone all year and not part of a bach group. I guess all his pals have passed on.

Whack that one for sure.

Very symmetrical.

He'd make a real nice mount !! That would be a real nice deer where I hunt in the northern mtns. I love those cagey, old guys.

Any buck that lives that many years in this area has got something good going on upstairs - lots of brains.:)

I don't think that thing looks real old. I'd say 50-50 between 3 and 4.
He's got a big pot belly, but not much more that screams old to me. He does have that typical low scoring 8 point frame.
He gets passed another year on my place, but I wouldn't expect a huge jump next year. Most of my neighbors would smoke him though.
Edit-looking again, I'll say 75% 3 year old.

His back looks like he's had a saddle on him for YEARS....lots of other older age class indicators as well. He ain't some spry teenager, He probably isn't middle aged either....his heydays are behind him.

His back looks like he's had a saddle on him for YEARS....lots of other older age class indicators as well. He ain't some spry teenager, He probably isn't middle aged either....his heydays are behind him.

In other words - He ain't as good as he once was, but he's as good once as he ever was....:)