No turnip bulbs

Oftentimes that smaller bulb is more appealing to the deer than a big, 'ole woody bulb. At our place the deer will often take one bite from a PTT and leave the rest lay. They may scalage more for the tender bulbs (?). I think they often prefer radish and brasica leaves to the bulbs. Then too.....I have watched deer working over rye and oats and leave the brasica alone. Hard to predict their wants and needs.

Oftentimes that smaller bulb is more appealing to the deer than a big, 'ole woody bulb. At our place the deer will often take one bite from a PTT and leave the rest lay. They may scalage more for the tender bulbs (?). I think they often prefer radish and brasica leaves to the bulbs.

Yeah I have noticed that too. Lots of half eaten turnips laying around. Then of course turning brown. They eat turnips like my kids eat apples. ;)

Foggy, thanks. You just turned my Monday morning depression into some good optimism.

And my radishes look awesome. So that should help.

27d792bcc42e39cf7d939151ae04189b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen a Brassica leave go yellow unless it is under stress from lack of Nitrogen or being too wet. Even froze hard they stay green through most of the winter. That is one of the beauties of brassicas and why we plant them for deer.

Glad to know your not going depressed BJE80. It's just deer. ;) Last year I didnt have the food to offer that I had other years.....and was concerned about it going into deer season. We had lots of deer traffic in spite of the low food.....and killed good bucks. Looks like you got plenty to offer.

As always. Thanks for all your help.

You know. I went back and looked. Sure looks like this deer is still eating the leafs in March!!!! Is that possible?

EK000440%20-%20Copy_zpsm0v88ab8.jpg

Entirely possible and more frequent than you think.

In Missouri that field would look like you moldboard plow it in March!:eek:

In Missouri that field would look like you moldboard plow it in March!:eek:

Old man Winter hangs on a bit longer up here.

Old man Winter hangs on a bit longer up here.

We can still have snow on the ground as well. But that would not stop all the deer from tearing that field up!

We can still have snow on the ground as well. But that would not stop all the deer from tearing that field up!

I have deer around but nothing like some of you guys.

I planted a mix of groundhog radishes, purple top turnips and dwarf Essex rape in July and they did really well. They were from Welter's and I'm really happy with how they turned out. I actually think they are a little above average this year in the bulb size, but the leaves aren't quite as impressive as prior years.

The low wet spots on my brassica plots aren't really impressive right now either. They don't have to be picture perfect.
I do enjoy the ripped up brassicas under 3' of snow in March. Made some easy shed hunting for the little shavers. I think we pulled 10 sheds out of this plot after the snow left
E7F06852-A3F6-4305-9D81-912E0719ABF7.jpg

The low wet spots on my brassica plots aren't really impressive right now either. They don't have to be picture perfect.
I do enjoy the ripped up brassicas under 3' of snow in March. Made some easy shed hunting for the little shavers. I think we pulled 10 sheds out of this plot after the snow left

Yeah having them tear stuff up is good to see.

EK000439_zpshqswfmcj.jpg

EK001394_zpsczfeijap.jpg

Good news. I'm seeing significant improvements. Most have bulbs now. And some even have golf ball size. Hopefully the frost stays away for a few more weeks.

Now your giving me hope too. :)

Now your giving me hope too. :)

It isn't going to be a bumper crop but hopefully enough to make it worth it for the deer later

Last I looked it's gonna be warm for a while. Northern Iowa was 4 degrees colder than northern MN this morning. No frost in site from what I can tell. Should be time to get some girth yet.

No Frost is good, but we keep losing about 3 minutes of daylight per day! That sucks!