No turnip bulbs

The winter rye is coming up pretty good as well in there now. How tall do you guys figure it will get yet?

My brassicas plot that isn't fenced is only 2"s. Fenced stuff is 10".
My baby brothers a navy seal and he's gonna be around next week. He's never bow hunted but I have that crossbow, so I'm gonna bee if he can hit anything

Good luck. I wasn't going to shoot a doe or even hardly hunt early season as there is nothing on cam I want to kill. But my son who is 8 and I may go "Saturday night and try and kill a doe together. Since I have enough does around now I may do it.

I've had barkant produce good sized bulbs. Different shape than PTT but still good sized. BJE's pics don't look like barkants, at least not yet and it's getting late.

Maybe Welters screwed up the type? They don't even look like they are trying to grow bulbs. I mean not a single one I saw.

When we planted barkant turnips, we saw bulb diameters about the same or just slightly smaller than our PPT(averaged 3"-4"), they were typically about 1" to 2" longer than the more round bulb of the purple tops. Have you pulled any to look at the "roots"?

When we planted barkant turnips, we saw bulb diameters about the same or just slightly smaller than our PPT(averaged 3"-4"), they were typically about 1" to 2" longer than the more round bulb of the purple tops. Have you pulled any to look at the "roots"?
No. I should of done that. Didn't think of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Welters screwed up the type? They don't even look like they are trying to grow bulbs. I mean not a single one I saw.
This is what I've been thinking. I've planted pasja and barkant from welters and what you have been posting sure look like pasja to me. I highly doubt you will have any bulb under the ground without any part of it showing above ground.

This appears to be the turnips. Pretty typical what I saw. (SORRY UP UPSIDE DOWN)

IMG_2056_zpsj2aeapx9.jpg

The root/bulb and stems shown here, and the leaves shown a couple weeks back, is what I'm basing this on.

I forget when you planted them? If they were planted in July...I'd have to guess that you didn't get barkant turnips.

They were planted July 9th!!!!!

They either aren't barkant turnips then...or something else significant is going on with them.
If I call Welters and tell them what is happening what will they most likely say?

I think the coop in Mauston might have had them at one time, it might be worth a phone call, as it is close to the property?

Most likely from NZ, Down Under, and England I'm betting.

I just checked ebay and nothing on there either. I know for a fact the food plot seed guy that posts from Alabama has carried them in past years.

Did you plant them as a monoculture or did you get them in a BOB blend?

In a BOB blend then, which was my initial thought. Not a bad price though, covered a 1/4 acre? More?

Ok. Pulled one. I guess I have very small bulbs. Does that eliminate having the wrong seed?

1dde9588cbd596b1464e77a551ca58e1.jpg

I've got a similar situation this year. In some areas.....I am not getting the turnip bulbs that I have gotten other years. Got some PTT seeds from Welter and some from MO - one of those sources is suspect - pretty sure its Welter. Also have not seen the big radish bulbs of past years.

I had some strange germination this year......and replanted seeds. Many things were slow to take off for me. They are growing much better now......hope there is enough time to put on some grow before colder weather sets in.

So here is a question. Assuming I have good size radish and hardly any turnip bulbs, with Winter Rye growing within, how long will this plot actually be attracting deer? I know it is hard to say. But I'm used to having tunip bulbs for rut/gun/late season hunting. Now I will probably only have radish and the leafs. When can I expect those to be useless? I know the winter rye should help with late season but its not the greatest draw either.

I've got a similar situation this year. In some areas.....I am not getting the turnip bulbs that I have gotten other years. Got some PTT seeds from Welter and some from MO - one of those sources is suspect - pretty sure its Welter. Also have not seen the big radish bulbs of past years.

I had some strange germination this year......and replanted seeds. Many things were slow to take off for me. They are growing much better now......hope there is enough time to put on some grow before colder weather sets in.

So you suspect you have the same thing and you may have also got your seed from Welters? :confused:

So here is a question. Assuming I have good size radish and hardly any turnip bulbs, with Winter Rye growing within, how long will this plot actually be attracting deer? I know it is hard to say. But I'm used to having tunip bulbs for rut/gun/late season hunting. Now I will probably only have radish and the leafs. When can I expect those to be useless? I know the winter rye should help with late season but its not the greatest draw either.

I have planted a combo of DER, PTT, rye, GHR for a few years. The brasica leaves get eaten into early December around our place. The bulbs start getting eaten in October....with the radish getting hit first....then the PTT bulbs. This year I planted this mix (and Oats) into my soybean rows. And I still have some beans growing too. Lots of forage to pick from.

I think you will still have a good draw without having the turnip bulbs. That is what I am counting on too......but there is still perhaps a few weeks to grow some more bulbs. :)

It will depend on when you get hard frost/freezes and snowfall. I've had brassicas stay green under a foot of snow well into winter in the past...but that only happens when the snow falls (and stays) before really cold temps hit.

Give me an idea on what temps will make the leaves go yellow. I'm too lazy to look at past trailcam pictures.

Sounds like all might not be lost. As long as I get some draw during gun season I should be in decent shape. And I do have a lot of leaf tonnage.