No cam hunting

If it wasn't for cameras I wouldn't see 90% of the deer on the property. Cell cameras give me all the info i want/need without need for intrusion. Solar panels and lithium battery packs keep them running most of the year without having to ever step foot in the camera location. Between work and kids my available time to hunt is quite limited. The cell cams allow me to see when things are picking up. I can check the weather and make a plan.

I don't think i would ever want to go back to hunting without them.

I enjoying my pictures just as much in the off season. Pig hunting. Spring trapping. Trespassing. Turkey movement. Fawn recruitment. Deer camera surveys. Flooding - water encroachment. Free roaming dogs. The list goes on and on.

This buck is going on 3 years as a stud on my land in MN . We see his sign, we know he’s there. But we’ve never seen him in the wild .

Without cameras we’d just be guessing his size and relying on the neighbors to “tell us” how big he is.

Without trail cams—neighbors would be more secretive, and I’d have no idea who’s on my land! They are invaluable for land management and to keep any eye on the farm for drunk/high trespassers!!🙂9AD4C011-B09A-46FD-8B98-A381D32E3B1D.jpeg
DE505738-5574-4568-BCD9-DF3D569FE9B9.jpeg75FDDBC6-C352-4A40-9DBB-872A9711DABD.jpeg

Hunting on private land i'm familiar with and have dotted with cameras just isn't nearly as fun for me as the hunting on trips in new places where you are going in blind. The process of learning an area, seeing sign, coming up with tactics, and seeing a lot of fresh country is just way more fulfilling. I find the land management the fulfilling part in the equation on my property. It's also possible that's because a nice buck is a rarity!

This buck is going on 3 years as a stud on my land in MN . We see his sign, we know he’s there. But we’ve never seen him in the wild .

Without cameras we’d just be guessing his size and relying on the neighbors to “tell us” how big he is.

Without trail cams—neighbors would be more secretive, and I’d have no idea who’s on my land! They are invaluable for land management and to keep any eye on the farm for drunk/high trespassers!!🙂View attachment 60729
View attachment 60730View attachment 60731

did they catch that guy?

Without trail cams—neighbors would be more secretive, and I’d have no idea who’s on my land! They are invaluable for land management and to keep any eye on the farm for drunk/high trespassers!!🙂View attachment 60729
View attachment 60730View attachment 60731
Imo the best things cameras have done is make it extremely risky to trespass. Cell cams have upped that risk even more.

Imo the best things cameras have done is make it extremely risky to trespass. Cell cams have upped that risk even more.

So many positives! Trespassing, how are the crops doing ? Harvest? Rain, snow … Predators, too many ?

Not just deer movement. You get a feel for the farm. They really help an out of state landowner, or if you have a 2-3 + hour drive .

There’s no disputing their benefit for security purposes. I intend to hold off on buying a cell cam until I need one for that purpose.

I enjoyed hunting as a kid thinking a booner could walk out any hunt. Now that I have a pile of “medium” sized bucks on the wall, cameras are a must to find out what’s around. I’m all-in on the “trophy” phase of deer hunting, I won’t shoot a buck that doesn’t meet my standards. Which means I went buckless this year, which is ok.

When my kids start hunting, they won’t be as involved with what’s on camera, I’m going to want them to shoot anything that walks out, no second guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No cams are allowed on my property PERIOD. It's called hunting and using a cam is NOT fair chase. B

I am so glad state by state they are being outlawed. It's becoming a huge stain on hunting. Become a hunter and shut them off 30 days before season till the end of season. I have lost respect for anyone who uses them during the season. Bing your phone went off and your deer is by your apple tree right now. That's no longer hunting and I am calling out others and major hunting organizations to call for them to be shut off.

Cameras have saved many more deer than they've killed. Like g squared and others have said, some people reach a point of having killed enough medium bucks and they start to get the pass for the big ones. Lots of unfilled buck tags because of cameras.

Cameras have saved many more deer than they've killed. Like g squared and others have said, some people reach a point of having killed enough medium bucks and they start to get the pass for the big ones. Lots of unfilled buck tags because of cameras.
Do you say that cause you think people are waiting on bigger deer they may have on camera?

I would think if you are waiting on a big deer, you would wait on a big deer regardless of camera or not? I suppose there are folks out there that could theoretically shoot a smallish buck not knowing they have bigger.

This is not about saving bucks it's about fair chase no matter how you try to spin it. It's really are you a hunter and practice fair chase or aren't you.

I am so glad state by state they are being outlawed. It's becoming a huge stain on hunting. Become a hunter and shut them off 30 days before season till the end of season. I have lost respect for anyone who uses them during the season. Bing your phone went off and your deer is by your apple tree right now. That's no longer hunting and I am calling out others and major hunting organizations to call for them to be shut off.
You sure project your values on everyone else. I enjoy seeing trail camera pictures probably more than shooting big deer. To see a buck make it year after year validates what what I am doing, and I really enjoy spending hours looking at pictures and compiling photos of interesting deer. I don't use cell cameras because they don't work well on my farm, but I would use gladly use them for trespassers. If you haven't figured it out by now on this website, locations are very, very different and what applies to some areas is totally foreign to others.

Do you say that cause you think people are waiting on bigger deer they may have on camera?

I would think if you are waiting on a big deer, you would wait on a big deer regardless of camera or not? I suppose there are folks out there that could theoretically shoot a smallish buck not knowing they have bigger.
I already gave an example of myself this year passing a 150 to wait for a 180. I would have not hesitated to shoot the 150 had I not recently seen the 180 on camera.

"Big deer" is subjective. 150 is a trophy to me. 180 is potentially once in a lifetime.

I already gave an example of myself this year passing a 150 to wait for a 180. I would have not hesitated to shoot the 150 had I not recently seen the 180 on camera.

"Big deer" is subjective. 150 is a trophy to me. 180 is potentially once in a lifetime.
Sorry missed that. I was just trying to make sure I was understanding where you were coming from

Sorry missed that. I was just trying to make sure I was understanding where you were coming from
Trail cams help to zero in/target specific deer but it's not like it is detrimental to deer growing old/getting big.

How many 200" deer do you think are alive in this country who have never had their picture taken(or at least taken since they became giants)? I'd guess the number is pretty high.