Newbie with Questions and a Link

bigfatskinny

Yearling... With promise
Hello Everybody-

I've finally found you guys! So much great information that you are sharing, thank you. I found you because the county drain commissioner decided to cut and chip 30' of habitat next to the creek that bi-sects our family farm. There is a wood chip highway running right through the best whitetail habitat on the property. Enough whining though, I plan to replant the area with native plants and I am here because I need to make lemonade out of the lemons I've been given and I thought I would share a link.
Has anybody tried any of this guys techniques for cuttings? He sells some stuff but also has a lot of free informational videos. I went to the local park and got 44 cuttings from 11 different species and have them sticking in sand now. We will see what happens.

I have read through 26 of the 42 pages of the Native Habitat Forum pages and look forward to reading them all! In the mean time, here are my questions:
- Will anything grow on/in those woodchips? (Rye, clover, etc)
- Should I put trees, shrubs, or grass next to the stream bank to prevent erosion? Which species?
- Did something happen to Big Rock Trees or are they just sold out of everything? I went there to buy a Jake Kit and there isn't anything for sale.

I cant seem to post any pics right now but I look forward to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

usually guys don't do cuttings until late winter-early spring before bud break. That's probably why you don't see any at big Rock yet.

Thx wklman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43333738087ac203610b759dec6f857c.jpg
b42c6262927e3734bb6cb0ec4718c377.jpg
3fb1355bc8bfe2dfa1898246c254e14c.jpg

Why did the county do that?

Probably dredging the ditch, or preparing to.

They claim that they had received complaints about the creek flooding upstream, due to obstructions. Although there were a few logs and trees, there wasn't anything causing backups. They decided to put in an access route for future cleanouts as well. They say that they legally have a 75ft right of way on both sides of the creek. Great use of tax dollars, right? I will say that it wasn't just our property, they got a few others as well. I'm tempted to plant the whole thing in hybrid poplars and poison ivy, just to make it harder for them when they come back. It makes me sick to my stomach, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here to figure out how to make it better than it ever was.

I would think hybrid poplar, ROD, black spruce, or many kinds of willows would thrive along that creek, and be beneficial to your deer. What state are you in?

BTW......Welcome!

I would think hybrid poplar, ROD, black spruce, or many kinds of willows would thrive along that creek, and be beneficial to your deer. What state are you in?

I'm in Saginaw County, Michigan.

Hello Everybody-

I've finally found you guys! So much great information that you are sharing, thank you. I found you because the county drain commissioner decided to cut and chip 30' of habitat next to the creek that bi-sects our family farm. There is a wood chip highway running right through the best whitetail habitat on the property. Enough whining though, I plan to replant the area with native plants and I am here because I need to make lemonade out of the lemons I've been given

Thanks in advance.

Some people think that adding wood chips into your soil is one of the best things you can do for soil health.

There are some videos that talk about "Back To Eden" style gardening that also emphasize using wood chips. I haven't personally tried wood chips, but I'm very curious about it. Good luck.

Maybe NWSG? Good cover for deer, birds, etc. Plus if they mow it down, it will return.

Are they just going to come through again and destroy everything you've done?

Are they just going to come through again and destroy everything you've done?

I don't expect them to come through for at least another 10-20 years. My plan is to load both sides of the "road" with browse and cover and see if I can get clover/rye/awp/oats to grow down the middle. Picture a "mega-buffet trail" for whitetails. "Eat until you're sleepy, Sleep until you're hungry!" If I can keep the browse low enough on the creek side, the excavator should be able to reach over and grab any new obstructions. I can also clear little stuff out myself and keep them out.

The wood chips will add organic matter, but as the wood rots down it will also drop the soil PH.

I'm with Satchmo, that place screams willows. All kinds of willows.

Also wklman is right Big Rock hasn't posted new inventory for 2017 yet. Probably harvesting like crazy right now. I'm sure you could PM John about what you need.

I'm with Satchmo, that place screams willows. All kinds of willows.

Also wklman is right Big Rock hasn't posted new inventory for 2017 yet. Probably harvesting like crazy right now. I'm sure you could PM John about what you need.

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll get a whole bunch of their B-grade willows along with the Jake kit. Do deer browse willows much? Any kind more than others? I've got a few in my first attempt box. Here is a pic of what I'm trying to do.
9c79bcd49a3d4635a6a1831e4de1740f.jpg
8ce292c03d7ba97c02a1918919593208.jpg

If you are going to plant some plots throughout where the wood chips are the soil maybe lacking N because it is tied up with the decaying wood chips.

Welcome !!!

I like the willows and R.O.D. plan. Both like water / moist soil and could be cut, and/or browsed and bounce back. Scott's correct on the N being tied up with the chips.

I can never figure out why cutting on stream banks helps with flooding problems. If any agency ( anywhere ) is concerned with obstructions backing-up water, send a few guys out with chainsaws and a backhoe or long-arm track-hoe and clear them. Making stream banks NUDE creates another problem ...... stream-bank erosion and loss of good soil, property damage, etc. Nature puts certain trees & shrubs on stream banks for a reason .........

Thanks scott44. I am considering trying to scoop some of the chips away. There are also a couple spots that are bare. I've read that winter rye will grow just about anywhere. Thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't hesitate planting a cereal grain mix of rye, oats and clover, maybe some buckwheat and radishes too. I just wanted to point out this may be lacking not that it is. I'm sure others on here have planted on a logging road or deck with wood there and probably really compacted soils maybe they can help you with what they have done. Good luck it sounds like you have a good plan for your lemonade stand.