New Type of Clover

Can't compare these 2 anyways. One is an annual. The other a perennial.

So cost goes out the window
Great point mo. I Have never had an interest in annual clover, so I'm automatically casting judgement.

By the looks of the prices at Welter seed, a guy could save a whole $9 if he used VNS red clover over the improved balansa clover, so I guess your right, a guy could almost buy a 12pack of Budweiser for the extra cost of that "fancy" new stuff.

And just like dipper does with his red clover by letting it go to seed, yes it appears that balansa is a good enough reseeder to achieve that 4 years and potentially more. Long term field trials in Oregon over a 10 year period it appears to be able to sustain itself for 4 years or more.

Try to get that hybrid to reseed itself for four years at a suitable stand and get back to us.
Looks like stu and some others are already working on that.;)

A big part of my plotting has nothing to do with cost efficiency...its all because I like to try growing new stuff to see whether it will grow, how it grows, how it gets used and whether I enjoy having it around. If I want to pi$$ some of my money away on "fancy" clover...I'm going to
I don't plot the way I plot because I can't afford it. I do it as a challenge, just like you do. It's fun for me to push the limits of everything. When I was younger it was my crotch rocket, snowmobile and body-MMA fighting. For some reason that's changed.
Now I get my thrills growing my own food plot seed. I know it's pathetic, but it's my thing. Haha

I will probably be planting both clover types this year for different purposes as well as starting a new BOB (WTI) clover plot. It will just be interesting to see how each one fares for each intended use I have for it. The WTI has one type of clover in it that the deer around me really like, it's been hit harder than any other clover I've used. Redcover grows fast has been great in my organic cover cropping rotation and will continue to use it as such but the deer do not hit it overly hard. I will be doing a test with this new stuff to test it's cold hardness to see how it fares against WTI on the food plots.

I just want to kill deer.
I can't remember the exact number but we killed between 15-20 last year on this red clover field alone.
8B2C8DA7-9552-467C-9C0F-28A9DD4A5322.jpg

Deer are not picky, at least the ones on my place :)

5 year old Red clover biomass after being flattened. It never got higher than 3"s after being flattened in August.
I've never cut this clover. Might have sprayed twice with a grass select, can't remember exactly.
2526F8AD-B5B6-40B7-94FB-299D37E3E612.jpg

This is some red on year 2 at a seeding rate of 3 pounds/ acre. I injected some winter peas in there during the spring, that's what I'm holding up.
084AE7B0-B495-4A38-A195-2836A5F71863.jpg

Not saying my trials are the way it has to be done. Just saying some new cutting edge seed iant need to kill deer like b's trying to accomplish.

I can't remember the exact number but we killed between 15-20 last year on this red clover field alone.

I probably saw 20-25 deer all of last season. Seen. Laid eyes on.

Looks like crap, just think how much better you would be if you tore that up and tried the new clover!:rolleyes:
Next year it's getting a dose of ghlyphosate in June and I'll inject my cold season seed. If that works, which I think it will, I'll be done experimenting.

Where are all your trees? That looks like out west it is so wide open.

I probably saw 20-25 deer all of last season. Seen. Laid eyes on.
Haha, and u think I should buy land up there. Hey my 23 acres u can have for $230k. My main farm will run u 3.5 million :) they are for sale
It's also an hour or so closer to your house. U drive not that far from my 23 acres on 10.

Haha, and u think I should buy land up there. Hey my 23 acres u can have for $230k. My main farm will run u 3.5 million :) they are for sale
It's also an hour or so closer to your house. U drive not that far from my 23 acres on 10.

You should. Just think of the challenge.

Well actually I think you should just suffer like the rest of us. :)

5 year old Red clover biomass after being flattened. It never got higher than 3"s after being flattened in August.
I've never cut this clover. Might have sprayed twice with a grass select, can't remember exactly.
2526F8AD-B5B6-40B7-94FB-299D37E3E612.jpg
And if you would have used Balansa Fixation clover you may not have had to spray twice with grass select. This could make Fixation a cheaper and better choice. Thanks for pointing that out Dipper.

dipper, is that the going rate in that area or are you just holding out for a citidiot? Just wondering, because $200,000 will get you a 40 in Buffalo Co with a few acres of tillable.

dipper, is that the going rate in that area or are you just holding out for a citidiot? Just wondering, because $200,000 will get you a 40 in Buffalo Co with a few acres of tillable.

10K per acre for fertile tillable farmland in dairy country is the going rate. Its not about deer. Its about cash crop and manure spreading.

My 23 acres has a pond, trout stream, highland, swamp. A neighbor just paid $10k an acre for a parcel not nearly as nice as mine. Many parcels listed with a realtor at $6 plus.
My main farm has 2 glacial lakes with huge panfish and bass, a trout stream, upland, lowland, a mile of electricity fiber optic cable that would cost $100k plus to install. Plus loads of wildlife
These prices are top dollar as a seller, but I'm open for negotiation.
People want the country life and they have the $ to do it. It isn't deer hunting prices influencing land prices like buffalo county. My land is worth much more than the land in the tigerton deer hunting area because its just deer hunting land in the middle of no where.

My 23 acres has a pond, trout stream, highland, swamp. A neighbor just paid $10k an acre for a parcel not nearly as nice as mine. Many parcels listed with a realtor at $6 plus.
My main farm has 2 glacial lakes with huge panfish and bass, a trout stream, upland, lowland, a mile of electricity fiber optic cable that would cost $100k plus to install. Plus loads of wildlife
These prices are top dollar as a seller, but I'm open for negotiation.
People want the country life and they have the $ to do it. It isn't deer hunting prices influencing land prices like buffalo county. My land is worth much more than the land in the tigerton deer hunting area because its just deer hunting land in the middle of no where.

What the heck would I spend time improving then?

All u got to do is set up in the heated tower and drop mr big. The ole lady got a 140" out there this yeAr. I passed a couple in the 120s.