New state record in Minn

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
This was found as he was shed hunting. The carcass was still attached . I guess they still count towards the state record . Too bad nobody got the rush of harvesting him on a hunt .

Attachments

• IMG_4547.png
    IMG_4547.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 128
Wow, that is an impressive rack. My guess is that it is an elopement from a captive facility. I read where several land owners had pictures of this buck on camera while alive. The county this buck was found was the first in MN to test positive for EHD in a captive facility. Either way, an impressive animal that eluded hunters.

Did they say how old they think this buck was?

Folks claim to have sheds from him as a 2 or 3 year old and seemingly a bunch of trail cam pics so if he was a captive escapee he lived wild for roughly 5x the life expectancy of a buck in most of MN.

Crazy buck. It’s a shame that the captive deer breeders make people wonder if freaks like this are natural in the first place.

Wow, that is an impressive rack. My guess is that it is an elopement from a captive facility. I read where several land owners had pictures of this buck on camera while alive. The county this buck was found was the first in MN to test positive for EHD in a captive facility. Either way, an impressive animal that eluded hunters.
It’s definitely not impossible to have a wild buck grow a rack like that . Especially in SE Minnesota. The Lake City/Frontenac area is prime habitat/good soils, as nice as anywhere in the Midwest!

We don’t have captive facilities here in Connecticut , so I’m not familiar with if they lose a deer over the fence or however it escapes, does whoever is in charge of the facility notify the state or does nobody get notified about it? If a breeder buck got loose, I would think the state would get notified . But again, I have no idea.

Last edited:
I've heard the latest trick is sketchy rich guys buy does from deer farms and release them into their local herds. I wonder how true that is.

It’s definitely not impossible to have a wild buck grow a rack like that . Especially in SE Minnesota. The Lake City/Frontenac area is prime habitat/good soils, as nice as anywhere in the Midwest!
Let me add that it’s like NE Iowa. Rugged bluffs, nice crop fields, creeks, draws.

The only real difference is the Iowa seasons allow more bucks to survive to an older age. Minnesota is early November (rut) and Iowa is a December gun season.

I lived in that area for 2 years and I have long thought Red Wing/Lake City/Frontenac/Wabasha could easily produce world class B&C bucks if they changed the seasons and maybe went back to antler point restrictions.

I've heard the latest trick is sketchy rich guys buy does from deer farms and release them into their local herds. I wonder how true that is.
If you've ever listened to Bronson Strickland present on the effects of genetic manipulation on a wild free range deer herd you'd see that they are very likely wasting their money. But I am all for sketchy rich guys wasting their money... Haha! :)

I only briefly read into this but it sounds like they have more than 1 year of trailcam pictures so I would guess it isn't a high fence deer. High fence deer lack the same fear of humans that wild deer have so it wouldn't last long in the wild.

Impressive buck for sure!

We don’t have captive facilities here in Connecticut , so I’m not familiar with if they lose a deer over the fence or however it escapes, does whoever is in charge of the facility notify the state or does nobody get notified about it? If a breeder buck got loose, I would think the state would get notified . But again, I have no idea.
No, they dont all notify the state. I have a 1400 acre high fence area across the road from my place. Not really captive breeding - just folks wanting some exotics to hunt. Locals around here know what axis and elk taste like

I don't understand how a skull can be entered into the records as it was not legally harvested with a weapon. I also don't see any rodent damage on the antlers, very unusual for a skull sitting that long and that clean.

I don't understand how a skull can be entered into the records as it was not legally harvested with a weapon. I also don't see any rodent damage on the antlers, very unusual for a skull sitting that long and that clean.
It depends on the organization. Many of the organizations use the records system as just that, a record of animals and their respective scores with the intent of using their scoring system as an indicator of herd health. If it is used for those purposes then the method of harvest is irrelevant. You would want all animals recorded as they all existed in a particular habitat no matter how they died.

It depends on the organization. Many of the organizations use the records system as just that, a record of animals and their respective scores with the intent of using their scoring system as an indicator of herd health. If it is used for those purposes then the method of harvest is irrelevant. You would want all animals recorded as they all existed in a particular habitat no matter how they died.

Yep. Boone and Crockett isn't a hunting harvest records org as much as they are an animal records org. P&Y is different in that regard.

[edit: seems i was off on multiple attemps here. Definitely a emphasis on conservation, biology, etc but the fact that harvested animals not falling under "fair chase" definitions cant be included but dead heads can is kind of odd as far as data collection goes]

Last edited:
Tree Spud: I agree. I never would have thought it counted.

I would disagree. P&Y, B&C are hunter selective and unrelated to any biological measurement or herd health measurement.

I would disagree. P&Y, B&C are hunter selective and unrelated to any biological measurement or herd health measurement.

Both the Hole in the Horn and B&C World Record Missouri Monarch were found dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: