New House Build

I’ve built many a house all the way to flooring with a generator! It sucks but it absolutely can be done
Yea I know it can be. Been there done that many times. Have 2 generators setting in my shop that we could use. My lead framer says that he has a larger compressor that he prefers to run his tools off of. I am bowing to his wishes at this time. I cant afford to tick him off at this point. I will start leaning on him a bit harder if the power company doesn't show this week.

Yea I know it can be. Been there done that many times. Have 2 generators setting in my shop that we could use. My lead framer says that he has a larger compressor that he prefers to run his tools off of. I am bowing to his wishes at this time. I cant afford to tick him off at this point. I will start leaning on him a bit harder if the power company doesn't show this week.
Hard to believe a contractor in 2024 needs to have power on site to build. I rarely see a compressor on a jobsite anymore. The guns are either battery or gas powered, and most everything else is run on batteries. Most guys still run a cord to a miter or table saw but a generator can handle that. If they are dead set on using air, you'd think they'd own a gas-powered compressor for this situation, or at least rent one. Are you sure he's not just busy on another project and using this as an excuse?

I’ve got to say, never seen a house built without a generator on site. I used to work for a power utility. Everybody’s happy the day the generators get shut off. Some right up until the finishes. I know of lot are going to battery tools now. Just had a roof put on and it was all battery guns.

Hard to believe a contractor in 2024 needs to have power on site to build. I rarely see a compressor on a jobsite anymore. The guns are either battery or gas powered, and most everything else is run on batteries. Most guys still run a cord to a miter or table saw but a generator can handle that. If they are dead set on using air, you'd think they'd own a gas-powered compressor for this situation, or at least rent one. Are you sure he's not just busy on another project and using this as an excuse?
He doesn't have to, just prefers that. He was ready to move his equipment to our build and then I told him the power company still had not been here yet. I dont fault him for that, if I had a choice I would choose to run without a generator as well. I just need to start the framing portion at some point! He is up there in the years and he said our place is the last one of this size he is hiring on to do. I am sure he has some battery powered tools, who doesn't in this day and age. However, I can see in not completely investing in all new equipment just prior to hanging up the tool belt.

I don’t see your wires

I don’t see your wires
They just finished setting the poles today. Electrician will come out as soon as the weather permits ( forecast is rain for 3 days). He will put in a temporary construction panel on a post. Electrical company will come back to hook up the meter and panel. Eventually it will be underground from this pole to the house, about 100'.

Looks like you’ll be moving ahead with framing shortly

My framing crew rolled in today ... literally. LOL Check out the mobile shop, actually a pretty good idea. Converted a old RV into a mobile shop. Tool storage and large compressor housed inside. The start load of framing lumber was delivered as well today. If all goes well we start framing in the morning.... finally! I am ready to shoot some nails!!!

Callahan mobile shop.jpg

start load on semi.jpg
framing lumber.jpg

Off and going. A good start today. Would have made it farther along, but the "Beast" blew a hydraulic line in the midst of setting the steel beams. Hopefully we get back on a good roll tomorrow. Got the load bearing walls in the basement framed today. Goal for tomorrow is to finish the sill plate and get the floor trusses in place. Possibly start putting down floor sheathing.

framing day 1b.jpg

framing day 1.jpg
framing on day 1a.jpg

Good progress on day 2. Not sure what tomorrow will bring, wish I could say we are going to get all the subfloor down, but unless the nails show up early that won't be the case. Supplier didnt have them and then thought they would substitute a product that I am not willing to accept without really giving me any lead notice. Fingers crossed that the UPS driver makes an early delivery tomorrow. Still a few pieces missing from having the floor trusses completed, but that won't take long to knock out in the a.m.

framing day 2 B.jpg

framing day 2.jpg

Thanks for sharing the process, it's very interesting.

Is there a general % you guys who GC your own home builds expect to save over just paying a custom home builder? I have kept an open land MLS search for the perfect "forever home" lot for years but with current prices It feels like a guy would end up paying double to build over jumping on the "right" house if it ever came on market. I have a 4 year degree in construction management and have worked in construction management roles since 2010 but always in utility stuff so residential stuff feels like a stretch for me..

Is there a general % you guys who GC your own home builds expect to save over just paying a custom home builder? I have kept an open land MLS search for the perfect "forever home" lot for years but with current prices It feels like a guy would end up paying double to build over jumping on the "right" house if it ever came on market. I have a 4 year degree in construction management and have worked in construction management roles since 2010 but always in utility stuff so residential stuff feels like a stretch for me..
Good luck finding someone who isn't asking twice as much as the house/property is worth in today's world.

Great progress! That's allot of trusses. I have the same type of trusses in my house, I picked them so I wouldn't have any posts, beams or supporting walls in the basement. They're 30' clear span. Couple of questions.
Are the trusses spaced 2' on center?
How did the framing crew get all the inside walls level with the treated bottom plate on top of the cement walls? Did they have to cut the studs to custom length to allow for the basement floor not being perfectly level?

Good luck finding someone who isn't asking twice as much as the house/property is worth in today's world.

What someone is willing to pay for something determines what it's worth. What i'm saying is what I'm seeing for sale in the realm of the type house/parcel I'd like for my "forever" home, is selling for WAY less than what it would cost if one bought the land and built something of similar spec on it. Example ballpark of what i'm seeing - 40-80 acre parcel that would fetch $200-500k with a 3-4k SF house that would likely cost $800k+ to build, selling for say $750k rather than $1.2 mil if you did it yourself to get exactly what you want. Sure there is value in things being all new but you are not re-couping the majority of that $450k if you were to sell.

Last edited:
What someone is willing to pay for something determines what it's worth. What i'm saying is what I'm seeing for sale in the realm of the type house/parcel I'd like for my "forever" home, is selling for WAY less than what it would cost if one bought the land and built something of similar spec on it. Example ballpark of what i'm seeing - 40-80 acre parcel that would fetch $200-500k with a 3-4k SF house that would likely cost $800k+ to build, selling for say $750k rather than $1.2 mil if you did it yourself to get exactly what you want. Sure there is value in things being all new but you are not re-couping the majority of that $450k if you were to sell.
I understand. Just wishing you good luck

I would hope to save 20% or more if I was building my own home, which I have done. If you are even remotely in the business, you can do it. It’s not bad and most subs are going to give you grace if you need advice seeing as how it’s your own job. As long as you aren’t building in a random area you have no ties, you should easily be able to round up the subs through your contacts to complete the job. Not to mention all subs know subs and they have guys they work with all the time they would recommend. Unless I was pressed for time, if I were consulting anyone who has the basic knowledge in construction (and business) I’d tell them to build themselves.

I would hope to save 20% or more if I was building my own home, which I have done. If you are even remotely in the business, you can do it. It’s not bad and most subs are going to give you grace if you need advice seeing as how it’s your own job. As long as you aren’t building in a random area you have no ties, you should easily be able to round up the subs through your contacts to complete the job. Not to mention all subs know subs and they have guys they work with all the time they would recommend. Unless I was pressed for time, if I were consulting anyone who has the basic knowledge in construction (and business) I’d tell them to build themselves.
This is my thinking as well. I see a 30 year old house asking way too much and I'm pretty sure I could build the same thing for less money than they want for the 30 year old house. jmo

When I lived in Southern Minnesota, almost all the homes were built with the owner being the general contractors. The lumber yards helped to pick out the subs....and all the subs in our area were used to working together so that they all knew their roles and would talk to each other and plan accordingly. There were exceptions on some of the real big old homes and such......but I think over 75% of the new homes had the owner assume the general contractor role. When I built my last home down there.....I was the general and spent allot of time on the job site each day to deal with some of the details.

That house was likely the best home I have owned. Really was a nice layout and super materials, and construction work was done beautifully by some of the best sub contractors. All builds should go so smooth as that one. The carpenter crew was the best in the area.....and they were good at steer heading the subs to a great extent. They had done so much work together in the past.....that it's no big deal to them.

I think it helps to live in a small town in the case of my build above. That may not work everywhere.

Last edited: