All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some opinions -- thoughts on age?

nwmn

5 year old buck +
I'm torn on the age of this guy. My gut tells me 3.5, but I want to say he's 4.5 so I don't feel guilty IF I get lucky and shoot him.

Thoughts on this one guys?1534115176728.jpgorca_share_media1507247373383.JPG

The other is from last year.

I named him 'temptation' as he appeared much bigger than he actually was in person.

Oh hes a 3 1/2 yr old Slammer! And you know it!!!

Ya... Very few guys would blame you for shooting that buck, however he has B&C written all over him in another year probably! Sick browtines!

Hes probably 140's as he is??? Hes got it all going for him! Thats the kind you just hope hides in a hole for the next 5 months! :) Good problem to have!

Oh hes a 3 1/2 yr old Slammer! And you know it!!!

Ya... Very few guys would blame you for shooting that buck, however he has B&C written all over him in another year probably! Sick browtines!

Hes probably 140's as he is??? Hes got it all going for him! Thats the kind you just hope hides in a hole for the next 5 months! :) Good problem to have!

lol, that doesn't make me feel any better!!

This is at my in-laws, where I am only allowed to plant food plots and not control logging/burning/hunting or other management decisions.

I can sneak in and hinge cut as i'm the only family that walks on the land, but there really isn't enough cover on this property for him to stay around, and there is another group that hunts(don't know why) during rifle.

IF I owned this property, I would have an easier time letting him get to booner status, as there are so many things to make this property churn these puppies out every year. But I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place when this guy shows up!

Maybe I can pick off one of the mature bucks with my bow then play warden out there this rifle season and keep people away :)

I'd vote 3.5 as well, but a nice 3.5. Base the guess as much on the prior year as the current... big jump in growth / quality makes me think that he was just 2 1/2 last year. And despite nice rack, legs look a bit long, not much of a belly on him, and not quite as muscular as I would think he'd look at 4.5. This time of year even my younger Florida bucks have misleadingly fattened bellies and that's without any supplemental feeding / just fall planted clover plots still feeding them.

Good luck either way whether you ultimately aim to harvest or try and see if you can buy him one more year.

I'd also lean toward 3.5.

I wouldn't worry about weather or not to pass him just yet. He may be a mile or more away when hunting season opens and you also have to get him in range of a stand in order to pass on him.

I think it comes down to if you can get another year of age on him. If he’s running all over the place and you feel someone else will take him, and you would be happy with him, then maybe take him.

I passed on a buck that was close to making me draw. I missed a bigger buck the next morning. Now the one I passed has grown as is regularly showing up on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm also in the camp that he was an incredible 2 yr old in the '17 pic and a great 3 yr old in velvet. Even if that's one year off, he'll still be a lot bigger next year (if alive) no matter what! For me, taxidermy costs a lot, I'm already short on wall space, and if I thought he had a 50/50 chance of making, I'd pass all day long. Weigh your options, but I think it pays to have it figured out before he walks in front of you! Thanks for the cool thread.

Great young buck!! Give him a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd shoot him. Sounds like your odds are bad for getting him next year, so I would take any chance I get.

I'd lean toward 4.5, and I would have shot him last year! I guess I set my bar lower than some.

That’s a nice one!!

Trust your gut, I think he is 3.5 also. I agree that he would be a tough one to pass on, but if you shoot him there is 100% chance you will never know what he would have looked like next year. In the end it's your call and only yours.