Need recommendation on electronic ear muffs with sound amplification and suppression

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Would like recommendations since I have never used these. Want to get some for myself and other family members. Are there any brands and models that you highly recommend or any to avoid? I wouldn't say that price is not a consideration but I'm willing to spend a little more to get better quality.

My buddy is a duck hunter. He swears by Tetra Hearing… https://tetrahearing.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they all work pretty well. I have a profound hearing loss......and have owned about 4 various brands over the years. I have not seen one being any better or worse than the other. (Perhaps I am too far gone??) They all seem to have similar tech.....IMO.

I’ve got a couple different brands in my range bag cheaper set is Caldwell little scetchy on reliability the Walkers same ones you linked seem to be a bit better than the Caldwells. It is nice to have the amplification for talking amount shooters and hearing steel ring at 1000yds. Probably one of the higher priced Walkers maybe worth the expense if used a lot.

I have those walker razors. I don’t use them hunting but they are very nice when we are shooting handguns. Good product.

I have a pair of walker electronic earmuffs that I bought several years ago. Not sure on the model but similar class as the razors. I found them to be good on the range but not as nice for hunting. They amplified sounds well, with a little white noise, but pinpointing where the sounds came from was difficult. I always attributed it to only having one mic on each ear, but have not tried any with more mics for comparison. I stopped hunting with them after a season of use. Still use them when recreational shooting.

I researched 8 or 9 years ago and the most recommended ones I found were MSA sordin pro muffs by all the competition shooters asked. They aren’t cheap but they have worked great for me. We got a cheap pair of walker muffs for my wife to wear when we were doing a lot of sawing, grinding, etc on house projects and they aren’t in the same ballpark. Might have been fine with them if I hadn’t used the good stuff for years already. For magnums with brakes I still frequently wear foam plugs underneath to really cut back on concussive blasts but the electronics make it so you can still hear and communicate.

Muffs are too much for active hunts so I tried out a pair of in ear electronic ones (Otto noizebarriers) that I’m a big fan of as well. I heard bull elk bugling on a thanksgiving week hunt that I could not hear with my bare ears and I almost shot a nice bull because of it. Was really wild behavior that they were still bugling and how quiet it was. I’m even using them in archery elk hunts now just to hear better. Muffs are definitely better at protection overall at the range though. Probably need to get my ears checked.. have had bad hearing since childhood and haven’t had it checked since.

Last edited:
I like walker for duck hunting,They are on sale at Cabelas right now