All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Natural Gas or Off Peak Electric

Brush Creek

5 year old buck +
I am putting an addition on my house and am going to heat it with infloor heat. I can have an off peak electric boiler or natural gas. I don't have a bill to see what my natural gas rate is, but off peak would be 4.3 cents per kilowatt. I have no problem with the possible shut down periods they are talking about for off peak.

Anyone have experience either way or can help with the math?

One possible problem with electric is storms and subsequent outages. I guess it would depend on how much you need heat in there on a regular basis. Wind, ice, lightning damage to equipment ( power co. ), heavy wet snow - all possible power killers for who knows how long. Natural gas is underground and not subject to those problems. Do you have a back-up generator ??

The new part of the house will have the infloor heat and a wood burning stove. The old part has forced air on natural gas. The house could easily survive a couple day electric outage.