All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nativ nursery

Black Swamp

5 year old buck +
ok so I ordered a bunch of oak trees from Nativ nurserys I didn't think they would ship them out until late march but just got a notification they were on there way. The ground is not quite froze yet so I could plant them today or heal them in what should I do? I live In NW OHIO. Also any reviews on Nativ nursery?

Nativ nursery is a southern nursery so I ended up not purchasing trees from them since my land is in northern Missouri. I did purchase tree tubes and posts from them and I thought their customer service was good.

ok so I ordered a bunch of oak trees from Nativ nurserys I didn't think they would ship them out until late march but just got a notification they were on there way. The ground is not quite froze yet so I could plant them today or heal them in what should I do? I live In NW OHIO. Also any reviews on Nativ nursery?
They did the same thing to me about 5 years ago. Kept them in a bucket all winter in my shop, none of those trees survived the first year.

I ordered some persimmons from them last year, all survived. If you ordered tree tubes from them, they come from a different place than the trees and may not arrive on the same day.

Last edited:
So I made the decision to plant them tomorrow and tube and mulch them all tomorrow. I hope this is not a mistake

Happened to me a few years ago. Kept them from January in basement in a bucket of dirt. Broke dormancy before planting. A frost killed all the strawberry bush. 3 of 5 seedling pears still alive but have not done much.

So I made the decision to plant them tomorrow and tube and mulch them all tomorrow. I hope this is not a mistake

Presuming they are still dormant, I think you made the right choice.

Thanks,

Jack

If you order from them again just add when you would like the trees shipped in the notes and they will hold them for you. I ordered mine a month or so ago and put them in gallon root pouches to keep on developing roots in a cool room. The trees have stayed dormant and the roots are thriving!

If you order from them again just add when you would like the trees shipped in the notes and they will hold them for you.

I did, they didnt. Brought it to their attention once I received the trees, they said to plant them and if they didnt make it through the growing season they would send more. Which I am sure they would have, but I didnt want to go through the hassle of having the same thing happen to me again. If I recall they may have said that they have to ship by a certain date for them or they break dormancy there.

I did, they didnt. Brought it to their attention once I received the trees, they said to plant them and if they didnt make it through the growing season they would send more. Which I am sure they would have, but I didnt want to go through the hassle of having the same thing happen to me again. If I recall they may have said that they have to ship by a certain date for them or they break dormancy there.
Well that's a bummer!

I told them I would let them know when to ship mine and actually postponed the order once because weather forecast changed

Are they still dormant? If so
Just put them all together in large pots with soil. Water throughly an keep in the dark basement.
I have 20 trees in the basement now like this

I placed a large order a few yrs ago an was happy with it. Their chestnuts were priced at $5/seedling at the time. Not bad as they were 24" tall.
They have since doubled the price. I now refer people to wildlife group for chestnuts an MDC for oaks an persimmons. You