My Central Ky Habitat Addiction

For the first time all year I have all 9 acres of my tree plantations mowed @ one time.

I upgraded to this 90 inch finish mower:

Red Oak Site:

Native Pecans looking awesome :

Awesome tour!

One of my favorite threads from the old forum. Thanks for keeping it going. I enjoy your hard work and enthusiasm.

Very nice!

Very nice ,how many trees are in those plantings

My big planting this spring ended up being about 5000 trees. 80% are oaks ( white / red / black )

The rest were pecan, persimmon , & walnut.

Thanks for the complements fellas. These forum have been and continue to be my fuel to get done what I do!!

That's a LOT of trees

That's a LOT of trees

It is a lot!! At times it has already gotten a little overwelming but I'm in the works of possibly getting another large area transitioned over to reforestation . Trees have been a dream of mine since I was a teenager, and I generally am in way to deep or not at all. So I will definetly over do this also.

As I have said in the past. I greatly appreciate all of your alls input, advice, and encouragement . It truely drives me to do things and stirs me in the right directions

What you've done is remarkable. Are you going to try some diff species in the next planting?

What you've done is remarkable. Are you going to try some diff species in the next planting?

Unfortunately if I plant as part of a program I am limited to their reccomendations . If the next one goes through it will b oak & walnut.

To many this means nothing but to me it represents a long dream, a lot of work, and a hopeful legacy for my children!!!

I am officially the owner of a Certified American Tree Farm. This was much harder to accomplish than I imagined which makes it that much better I guess.

Congrats, that is pretty cool.

Yes thats awesome indeed!

Whats your realistic success rate? Like somewhere between 50-60% of those trees living to potential ya think?

Whats your realistic success rate? Like somewhere between 50-60% of those trees living to potential ya think?

First year live has been awesome with a great plant and super rain. It's all loss from here though. Between natural loss , animal damage, and eventual culling & thinning.

I would say extremely long term , like 60 years would be 10% live to large mature veneer crop trees.

Last edited:
Got one last fall plot done. This is next to an old pond and has poor soil quality so I put 3 tons of poultry manure on it a month or so ago and dished it in really good. Don't know what this plot will do this year but gonna do the same thing in the spring and throw some radish on it to try and break the pan up some .

One of my favorite pics so far

My favorite buck so far:

Click for Video

Last edited:
I call these our " Circus Bucks". Some pretty wild ones for sure:

Video:

Nice bucks! Great work on the tree planting too. I know it's not for deer, but I added black walnut to some of my plantings as well.