Muzzleloader storage

bigeight

5 year old buck +
I'm about a week away from putting my Muzzleloader away for the season again. I have tried many different approaches to try and store it, and always end up with rust in the barrel.

I pull the breach, left it in, open/shut, bore buttered the heck out of the barrel, left it dry, etc. and always am greeted with rust every year. Not sure what my next move is ?

Its a TC Triumph with the weather shield, which is advertised as "impervious" to rust. LOL

Any tips would be appreciated :)

Wow all I do is clean the barrel with TC #13 bore cleaner, clean the breach with hot soapy water, dry it good put some anti seize on the breach threads, put the breach back in and put it in the gun cabinet in basement until next season. Never had any rust or corrosion.

Does it have anything to do with the location it is stored?

I keep it in my closet which is the furthest area of the house to any doors that open/shut temp changes, etc.

I pack my barrel full of oil soaked paper towels.

Near a humidifier? Maybe coat the rifling in cozmoleen?

Nope, no humidifiers in the house. I looked up Cozmoleen. I'll probably order some and soak some paper towel with it and store like Bill suggests. That sounds like a good idea :)

After shooting my ML, I clean the barrel with water wet pads only. I will sab a few times with a bit of light gun oil on pads. I then swab the inside of the barrel with bore butter. I use some solvent to clean the breach plug to remove powder residue, use some com pressed air to clear the firing tube, then put a bit of anti seize on the threads.

I have stored in the case for over 6 months and in my gun cabinets with no signs of rust.

I do keep Hydro sorbent packs in my gun case ...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Libe...gclid=CP3MlfiJ8tACFc26wAodbm0Bvg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use Blackhorn 209 powder and standard firearm cleaning/oiling methods. no water or bore butter

The only ML I ever had trouble with rusting was with one I neglected when I was a kid. After it gets started, it's hard to get it stopped. I suspect with the trouble you're having you are always going to have trouble.

Treat it like a regular rifle like several people said above. Good gun oil and regular cleaning solvents...there is nothing special about cleaning/caring for a muzzleloader other than having to be more thorough. I was sick the year I wintered my Encore in bore butter only to find it rusted inside the next fall....like swat said you will probably always have some rust in that barrel now. At least I have never been able to completely get rid of mine

The only ML I ever had trouble with rusting was with one I neglected when I was a kid. After it gets started, it's hard to get it stopped. I suspect with the trouble you're having you are always going to have trouble.
I agree. Once you get rust it's almost impossible to get rid of it. Best to store in a low humidity place year round.

Treat it like a regular rifle like several people said above. Good gun oil and regular cleaning solvents...there is nothing special about cleaning/caring for a muzzleloader other than having to be more thorough. I was sick the year I wintered my Encore in bore butter only to find it rusted inside the next fall....like swat said you will probably always have some rust in that barrel now. At least I have never been able to completely get rid of mine

It is not a regular rifle based on the powder charge you are shooting. Muzzle loaders have specific instructions on how to clean and store based on the powder/charge you are using, if you ignore, it is a chemical reaction that you risk.

I have 30 plus rifles, shotguns, & pistols going back 60 years from both my Dad & grandfather ... all have followed a specific cleaning & storage pattern. My muzzle loader had a very different cleaning pattern ... It took some research and talking to a number of buddies who had more experience to accept ... but after 6 years, no rust, no issues.

B8, have you notices your groups expanding?

Can't say that I have. The gun has been, and is a tack driver. I can't complain about its accuracy, but I feel that it eventually HAS to catch up with the gun.
Not sure if the rust is pitted in the barrel, or not? I don't really see imperfections looking down the barrel after cleaning, but cleaning out of storage is a real chore. Amazing how many soiled patches come out of it till it is clean.

Sounds like my big mistake was storing it one year with a lot of bore butter in it. I did that on purpose from a recommendation. Didn't do my own research, that's on me.
I think I've had the gun for about 6-7 yrs now? I can't remember a year not having at least some rust down the barrel. It's been as accurate at the range as it was out of the box every year. Don't want to push my luck though :)

I do not have a borescope. Sounds like my clock might be ticking on my accuracy.

Is my best bet to store with oil soaked paper towels for this winter ? I sure don't want to make it any worse if I can help it. Love the gun. If I can steal a few more years doing something different. I'd love to.

Oil the barrel good and wet before long term storage with a high quality oil. Stay away from cheap oils such as Rem oil as they are very liquid oils and will not coat and last long term. I use Slip 2000 EWL on my guns. It's not the cheapest stuff but it is what we use on our weapons at work and those guns have lives depending on them. My work rifle goes from warm to cold all the time in the winter and no rust issues using the EWL as long as the gun is fully lubricated. For the long term storage I recommend the EWL 30 as its thicker. When you are ready to shoot your ML spray the oil out of the barrel with some gun scrubber and you will be all set.

WOW, I am thinking that IMO< your not getting all the Blackpowder out of the bore , before your storing it
if its rusting on you>
a clean metal bore with a light coating of GOOD oil(oil that won't dry and be gone) will NOT rust on its own
it needs either moisture to enter the bore some how, and contact dry metal, to start the process!

I have many muzzleloaders and a LOT of other guns, some from the 1800's and don't have rusted barrels on any, that well were NOT that way already, but have NOT gotten worse since , me getting them!

MY advice is this, clean your bore better(and NOT trying to be a smart A$$ here at all)

scrub it good with cleaners
oil and then clean a day later ALL over again and see if any carbon or powder residue comes out AGAIN!
MY best is i you will find some and show you you didn;t clean it as well as you thought you did!

NEXT
I would suggest getting some of the better oil for storing firearms
I have had very good luck with Breakfree Collector gun oil for storing things, I soak a few patches and run the bore and leave a heavy coating on things
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/82...-gun-storage-preservative-gun-oil-4-oz-liquid

Next I would get yourself a gun sock to place the gun in
I would also use the above oil on it over the whole GUN

and last, rather than waiting till next season to get the gun ready, WHY not, check the gun in say 2-3 months, HOW long does it take to run a oiled patch down the bore again?? to maybe add fresh oil to the bore and save you from pitting and need of a new barrel?

I ran a gun store for many yrs and many friends are bigger name gunsmiths, as for my background on guns?

I think he might have had her clean, but used bore butter for long term storage as some still swear by it...that's the advice I got that I regret listening to. It did something to my barrel (pulled in moisture??) to cause it to rust all over the inside. I think bore butter might be a fine bullet lube, but bore protector it is not in my experience. I think the old advice of seasoning a muzzleloader bore like a cast iron skillet is outdated given the great preservative products and cleaning solvents we have now.

well I said what I said after a ton of yrs in a gun shop and seeing and hearing what people do to clean there guns and muzzle loaders, I based my advice on that experience!
like I said, NOT bashing on him at all
but black powder is a very corrosive material, and even a little left behind will eat things

Bore butter isn't something I would recommend or use
but have known a lot of older guys that still swear by it and have muzzloaders in great condition
as again, its a lube, and if its created a good barrier between air and bore
for rust to start, it tends to start UNDER it on the surface of the bore, AKA< powder residue

I have also known a bunch of guys that do Hoppie,s gun grease and coat the bores heavy with that too on LONG tern storage
but again, the base of metal HAS to be cleaned 100% of things that can cause rust first, or it doesn;t really help?

Bore butter for me. I've had muzzleloaders for years and years and shoot 777 and also black powder. I have never used anything to clean my muzzleloaders except plain old water. Dry good and put a good coating of bore butter on. 100 percent natural. I've never had rust inside or out and I'm usually hunting in nasty weather in our late seasons. Like I said before though, if you've already got rust in there you're fighting a tough battle.