All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mountain ash jelly

Telemark

5 year old buck +
Anyone tried it? Apparently it is quite popular in Europe, but the recipes I have found all call for a lot of apples, which are not cheap here.

I'm going for it.

received_2136873553253074.jpeg

Awesome. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

I do some home brewing and I've always wanted to try do a batch with mtn. ash berries in the boil.

I want to know how it turns out too.....wife and I just got back from the UP and I tried triple berry jam for the first time the other day, I'm all about these different jelly/jam types.

Most of the recipes said to freeze the berries, so I'm starting with about 4 lbs of frozen berries, all stems removed, berries washed in cold water.
20180822_085843.jpg

Then added about three pounds of apples. The neighbor's apples aren't ripe, so i bought some local apples from the county to the north.

Attachments

• 20180822_163818.jpg
    20180822_163818.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 9
20180824_152602.jpg

Straining through cheese cloth.

20180827_091823.jpg

The middle one is syrup. The other two are jelly.

So, it ended up lot cloudier than I thought it would. The syrup was just too bitter, and after trying everything imaginable with it, I threw it away. The jelly has some extra spices added, and it was actually pretty good, with a bitter finish. It was too bitter for pork or venison. It was good with some strong cheeses. I think I can do better, so I will try again next season. These trees grow all over the place here, so supply is not an issue. Wish I had better news, but it was underwhelming.

One problem might have been timing. Some have said I harvested too early. Next time i will try later in the season.

I will also use smaller jars so I can try several different recipes.

Sometimes that happens. I was hoping it turned out better. Great idea. Was thinking about trying it myself.

I think i should have paid more attention to it. I kinda let it boil away for a while. I will definitely try it again.