All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minimal spraying, what products are best?

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

So I've got some trees in the ground, and all of the bark grafted scions seem to have woken up. I'm cautiously optimistic that these will hang on for a few more weeks and have taken fully. As I move forward, I am looking into spraying. Although I've grafted DR varieties, I know that some spraying will really help the trees while they are young. I'm a bit hesitant to spray, just because I really don't like to put anything on a tree growing my fruit (although most will be deer apples). Call me a hippy if ya want, but it's just how I roll :).

As of now, I'm the most worried about fungal and bacterial infections, as they can do the most damage to the tree (e.g. fireblight). As for insects, other than the Japanese Beetles (which I go after with a vengance) I'm not too concerned with some leaf eating, or some fruit that isn't pretty. I see the insect pests more of an indication that I'm doing a pretty good job providing suitable habitat for natives. My neighbor has a full spray regimen, and I'm definitely turned off by the sight of him misting entire trees with insecticides... It's just not for me.

This being said, if I were to spray twice a year, what should I spray? As of now, I was thinking dormant oil and/or copper in late dormancy, and then something after petal fall. As I said, I'm the most worried about fungal or bacterial infections, and I figure that the spring is the worst for these (warm+moisture). My trees are in spots that they'll get plenty of sun, and can get kinda dry in the summer, so I figured that they'd be at much less of a risk at this point. For the jap beetles I'll either spray with neem oil or sevin. I'm up at the property enough in the summer that I can spray every week or so June-September.

Sounds more like you don't want the chemical approach and that's fine you can get excellent results without going that way just remember organic does work it just does not last as long residual and will cost lots more . A few thoughts most organic orchards use some sulfur sprays for fungal and or oxidate to kill spores , also dormant oil is the most important spray of the season for insects or fungal problems, on insectisides neem products work and don't forget spinosid excellent biological insecticide organic

Neem does work just no residual real common with organics , oxidate is a product that can replace captan or any of the fungisides just no residual protection with organics you have to work with the weather closer as the protection is not as active for as long , In the case of oxidate or sulfur , sulfer is a protectant and would need to be applied pre scab event and oxidate kill spores after a scab event .

Theres no magic bullet in organics more work more spray to achieve clean fruit , Rally your timing is about right on major , dormant oil then mid may insecticide depending on location don't forget most scab comes from wetting events long wet periods . You might have to treat more with more trees in the area as pest problems grow with more trees .

Sounds more like you don't want the chemical approach and that's fine you can get excellent results without going that way just remember organic does work it just does not last as long residual and will cost lots more . A few thoughts most organic orchards use some sulfur sprays for fungal and or oxidate to kill spores , also dormant oil is the most important spray of the season for insects or fungal problems, on insectisides neem products work and don't forget spinosid excellent biological insecticide organic

I'm not too worried about it being purely organic, I just don't want to have a system that I'm using a bunch of different products. If I get one or two bushels of clean(ish) fruit a year, I'd be happy. In the next few years I'll be starting more cider apples, which I don't care about the looks.

My neighbor has the dormant oil spray, and I'll look into the sulfur, oxidate, and spinosad. I'll start using NEEM ASAP.

Maybe I've just been lucky in the past, but the only time I sprayed anything was when I had major insect or caterpillar infestations. Some years I'd get by with zero spray. Yes...many of the fruits were not perfect, but with some searching many good ones were also available.
That is pretty much what I have done.
Like what wooduck says, I see more problems as I get more trees. Maybe excess moisture last spring was part of it.

Little spray could tell you which are mostly no spray types. Survival of the fittest!

Maybe I've just been lucky in the past, but the only time I sprayed anything was when I had major insect or caterpillar infestations. Some years I'd get by with zero spray. Yes...many of the fruits were not perfect, but with some searching many good ones were also available.

I just planted a honeycrisp in our orchard, which is one of the only ones I'm truly worried about. Those that I grafted over to DR, which are mainly on the hunting property, I'm pretty much wanting to make sure the trees survive and do well. Those are deer apples. Like I said, if I get a bushel or two for eating, and then in the future a few bushels for cider I'll be happy.