All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maple syrup

Thanks natty, So the 1% isnt enough for you to mess with? Thats kinda where I was going also, Ive never had Ice test at 1 before, anytime i messed with it before it was 1/2 or less and I pitched it .

You bet. And yes exactly...the time you save boiling is significant. Just like westonwhitehall said...it's kind of like RO. The amount of syrup you end up pitching is minimal.

Now if I find a dead mouse floating in my bucket that's a different story. There's a lot of sugar in that mouse. I just wring it out back into the bucket and pitch the mouse. :emoji_laughing:

You bet. And yes exactly...the time you save boiling is significant. Just like westonwhitehall said...it's kind of like RO.

Now if I find a dead mouse floating in my bucket that's a different story. There's a lot of sugar in that mouse. I just wring it out back into the bucket and pitch the mouse. :emoji_laughing:
Oh, you are supposed to throw the mouse out?....

Given the crazy temperature swings in various regions ...... how's the sap flowing for all you guys?? I don't MAKE maple syrup - but love the end product and the ENTIRE PROCESS of collecting sap and boiling it down. Old fashioned tradition that ought to live on for generations to come.

Given the crazy temperature swings in various regions ...... how's the sap flowing for all you guys?? I don't MAKE maple syrup - but love the end product and the ENTIRE PROCESS of collecting sap and boiling it down. Old fashioned tradition that ought to live on for generations to come.
Its been very sporadic here in se Wisconsin. Got 50 gallons yesterday but 0 the previous 3 days. Whats weird is the sugar content. One day the sap tests at 2 to 3 the next its 1 1/2 then back up again.
Also my finished product isnt tasting, well, mapley. It just tastes sweet without that signature flavor that maple syrup usually has.
Im hoping the next few days will be real good for sap flow.

This has been a poor season so far for me. Only 1 gallon of finished syrup so far. It took my trees longer to thaw this year and since then the temps have not been good. This weekend and next week look better for temps but only time will tell as the forecasts change constantly this time of the year. Looks like a down year for me.

Early season light colored mild flavor normally latter in the season darker stronger maple flavor. My grandmothers cousin usually didn’t even start fooling with syrup until latter in the season he liked dark and only made enough for himself.

Anybody make hickory syrup?
Historically, it's been made by pulling strips of exfoliating bark off of shagbark hickory trees, boiling it, straining, then adding sugar and cooking it down.
I make mine from nutshell fragments(no lichens, bird poop or poison ivy rootlets) - often with little morsels of nutmeat remaining - left over from cracking & picking out hickory nuts. I'll either boil them all day on stovetop, or cook on High setting in the crockpot for 12 hrs or so, then strain the 'liquor' through an old t-shirt, add 1-1.25 cups sugar per cup of liquor, then do a low boil for an hour or so, until it gets to desired thickness and decant. If I want darker color, I'll cook a few hickory nut husks along with the nutshells. Has a rich flavor that I prefer over maple syrup. I usually put a whole shagbark nut in each jar, as a finishing touch.

Made one batch last summer entirely from boiled hickory nut husks - it was just as tasty, but REALLY DARK in color.

Attachments

• 20210210_095421.jpg
    20210210_095421.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210210_110505.jpg
    20210210_110505.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210210_134259.jpg
    20210210_134259.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 10
I'm boiling down in SE MN today for the first time of the year. This is my latest first boil in the 9 years I've been doing it. The sap was really flowing the last couple days, but it was pretty sporadic prior to that. The cold weather a week ago froze some of the early sap solid, so I might have to bring some in the house tonight to thaw it out.

Like many of you....sporadic this year in western Mass. Not the worst year I ever had. But not the best. We had so little snow this winter though that all of my trails in the sugarbush opened up early and once that happens collecting sap just makes a mess of my trails. So I had to stop. I normally can't count on snow covered trails until the 1st week of April.

Historically, it's been made by pulling strips of exfoliating bark off of shagbark hickory trees, boiling it, straining, then adding sugar and cooking it down.
I make mine from nutshell fragments(no lichens, bird poop or poison ivy rootlets) - often with little morsels of nutmeat remaining - left over from cracking & picking out hickory nuts. I'll either boil them all day on stovetop, or cook on High setting in the crockpot for 12 hrs or so, then strain the 'liquor' through an old t-shirt, add 1-1.25 cups sugar per cup of liquor, then do a low boil for an hour or so, until it gets to desired thickness and decant. If I want darker color, I'll cook a few hickory nut husks along with the nutshells. Has a rich flavor that I prefer over maple syrup. I usually put a whole shagbark nut in each jar, as a finishing touch.

Made one batch last summer entirely from boiled hickory nut husks - it was just as tasty, but REALLY DARK in color.
Interesting

This has been a poor season so far for me. Only 1 gallon of finished syrup so far. It took my trees longer to thaw this year and since then the temps have not been good. This weekend and next week look better for temps but only time will tell as the forecasts change constantly this time of the year. Looks like a down year for me.
I hope you get better weather and better sap flow. Sorry to hear it's been negative so far.

My youngest son brought us a bottle of shagbark hickory syrup a few weeks ago. Commercially purchased stuff. It's tasty and has a different flavor than maple syrup - but it's good. I have no idea how it was made. Medium in color - not dark and not light either - I'd say a medium amber color.

I'll stick to real maple syrup for my hotcakes though!!!!!!

Like many of you....sporadic this year in western Mass. Not the worst year I ever had. But not the best. We had so little snow this winter though that all of my trails in the sugarbush opened up early and once that happens collecting sap just makes a mess of my trails. So I had to stop. I normally can't count on snow covered trails until the 1st week of April.

The run is over for the most part in Western NY. Unlike many here, my “sugarbush” is comprised of a dozen massive sugar maples located in the yards of some nearby friends and neighbors. Obviously, my collection process is pretty easy, but collections often include leaning against the tailgate with a cup of coffee and idle chatter. Here, the run is done and all that is left to do is to distribute the delicious end product.

Its running here now like ive never seen it before. Problem is the feild is so muddy if I can get down there by the time i fill my tote up im not sure Ill be able to get it out.

I hope you get better weather and better sap flow. Sorry to hear it's been negative so far.
We do this for fun as a family and give away the yummy jars to friends and family so no matter what our end total will be it’s a success. Now if this was a business I’d probably be singing a different tune about this season.

Anyone that’s interested in evaporators and supplies I recommend this place. It’s not far from me and I went there to look into getting a “real” evaporator in the future. The owner walked me around the show room and answered my questions. Their show room and shop are impressive.

We do this for fun as a family and give away the yummy jars to friends and family so no matter what our end total will be it’s a success.
That's what matters!! I hope you get as much sap as you want / need. Nice to share it too!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Smoky Lake Maple ^ ^ ^ link :emoji_thumbsup:Quite a place for maple supplies.

Last edited: