All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making dirt

Any weed problems such as; pigweed, maretail, Johnson Grass...?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sure, I have some weeds in the summer plots. Pig weed, smell melon and others. Don't care as they aren't a problem. I've long since stop caring that my plots look perfectly clean like farmers fields. Nonetheless the sunn hemp combo does tend to choke everything else out. Very few weeds in the fall plots

This particular field I was converting to red clover for one season before I go back to double cropping. So I will just mow it in the spring.

One of the big advantages of the south is how easy it is to double crop. I have planted regular soy beans in early May. By Sept. they have gone to seed and dead. I drill the fall crop into the brown beans and also get a slight flush of beans mashed in by the drill.

However I am now changing my summer crop to a combo of sunn hemp, beans, peas, sunflower, and buckwheat. Incredible production, impressive soil impact, and the deer literally live in the field once the hemp gets about 6' tall. It crimps beautifully in late Sept. or early October and then transition to rye, crimson, radishes and maybe a few turnips.

I can't find your recipe for the summer combo. Does anyone know how the cow peas do in the midwest? I have no experience.

My main concern would be with the weeds is letting more seeds get in the ground by not controlling them

I can't find your recipe for the summer combo. Does anyone know how the cow peas do in the midwest? I have no experience.

Baker's recipe for the summer combo is in the sun hemp thread

bill