All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost art

D

dipper

Back in the day 90% of the bucks we shot were on drives. The old gang used to average 30 bucks a year. Hunting changed and so did our preparation. We used to roll tires a few weekends a year. Deer move and I think a hunter, especially a new hunter, gets flustered a little practicing on stationary targets
Safety and trigger control are musts. Before everyone starts calling me an unsafe idiot for this, be mindful, that the tire drops 20' in elevation and rolls a good distance in front of the roller before the target is acquired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Great training tool right there. Could be used for law enforcement.

I've killed my share of deer on the run. Wouldn't recommend it to just anyone and as you stated safety must come first, but sometimes the situation arises.

Deer drives drive me crazy. What a great way to wound and lose a lot of deer. Very few can do it right, but many have large capacity guns and figure one bullet will hit a mark.... maybe.

Deer drives drive me crazy. What a great way to wound and lose a lot of deer. Very few can do it right, but many have large capacity guns and figure one bullet will hit a mark.... maybe.
On the other hand the camaraderie is great and sometimes its the only way to get the deer up on their feet in heavily pressured areas.

On the other hand the camaraderie is great and sometimes its the only way to get the deer up on their feet in heavily pressured areas.
Yep. It's what I grew up with. I don't know about any where else but we didn't wound and lose deer on drives...we killed deer on drives....and so did the other crews in the area. Each crew/camp had a friendly competition with each other. All the crews in the area typically met up at the tavern on the hard road over the mountain several times over the course of the first week of rifle season. Lots of ball breaking, shirt tails getting cut, and war stories being swapped. It was great!

Yup it was what I grew up with and now I despise them. My family used me in drives as far back as I can remember. Of coarse there were way more deer back then. We would do drives all day and see multiple deer on every drive. Now I have to deal with neighbors doing 12 man drives when there are 5 deer on 1000 acres and they do them every weekend. Middle of the rut, doesn't matter line up and start blowing your whistles, drives me nuts. If we ever get back to high deer numbers I would love to do it again because they were more of a bonding experience than anything else, but as a brown is down family we did kill a lot of deer. I don't remember loosing more than one or two. My dad and uncles were great shots. I can remember a bunch of running deer piling up. Times have certainly changed.

I hate the deer "drives" where the drivers are hollering and making as much noise as possible. That just causes deer to run away at top speed. Now a "push" is a great tool with the push(ers) moving slowly with the wind at their backs while keeping their sucks shut. This usually moves the deer and the deer move away at a slower pace and can be stopped by the standers/blockers for an ethical shot.

How many shots hit that moving target?

She was shooting like 90%. Scoped .22 at 60 yards. I was less than 50%.
We don't drive anymore either. I especially wanted her just to get used to shooting at something that wasn't stationary. Following a moving object with the scope, etc. the rifle range is a completely different environment than being in the field. I feel it's much different shooting off a bench at the range than a 140" buck dogging a doe opening morning of gun season.

We still do drives and lose very few deer , probably no higher percentage than stand gun hunting , we have certain land features that make predicting drives and where the animals will tend to use for escape cover much easier . Good drives requires that you know the animals , wind, cover well to guide them closer not an exact process though . We have one piece where 80 percent of the deer you see are bucks , they seem to hang in that cover every year . You will only get a crack at them once though mess it up and they wont be back , but pretty much the same way stand hunting . Located in Minnesota and deer are plentiful at this location

She was shooting like 90%. Scoped .22 at 60 yards. I was less than 50%.
We don't drive anymore either. I especially wanted her just to get used to shooting at something that wasn't stationary. Following a moving object with the scope, etc. the rifle range is a completely different environment than being in the field. I feel it's much different shooting off a bench at the range than a 140" buck dogging a doe opening morning of gun season.
Agree 100%. And don't forget that even when stand hunting, having the ability to make a shot on a moving deer without the use of a rest is a great skill to have. Not every deer stops broadside and winks at you before you pull the trigger. I've seen plenty of grown men who can shoot tight groups on a stationary target with their scoped rifles from a rest. Tell them to stand up and their grouping goes to sh!t.

Yup it was what I grew up with and now I despise them. My family used me in drives as far back as I can remember. Of coarse there were way more deer back then. We would do drives all day and see multiple deer on every drive. Now I have to deal with neighbors doing 12 man drives when there are 5 deer on 1000 acres and they do them every weekend. Middle of the rut, doesn't matter line up and start blowing your whistles, drives me nuts. If we ever get back to high deer numbers I would love to do it again because they were more of a bonding experience than anything else, but as a brown is down family we did kill a lot of deer. I don't remember loosing more than one or two. My dad and uncles were great shots. I can remember a bunch of running deer piling up. Times have certainly changed.
There were a few years where myself and the other couple of kids were basically beagles...sent on a direct course for the thickest, steepest crap the "old timers" didnt want to walk through. Most of us also spent a year on Pellet Gun Patrol. When i was coming up you had to be 12 to get a hunting license, we didnt have the mentored youth program back then, so when you were 11 you carried a daisy red rider with you and had to demonstrate proper gun safety and handling....and once you got your license, if you screwed up and did something an adult thought was unsafe you had your rifle replaced with the red rider again.

Probably one of the dumbest things I have seen on this website or any hunting website. You state.. safety and trigger controls are a must.

A grown "man" is standing down range of a shooter firing live rounds. I say this with all sincerity, that is absolutely stupid and really unsafe. How is that teaching anyone good gun safety?

This is not something I would ever use a training tool or would I condone such ridiculous behavior on a range using live rounds. I can't wait to show this video to a few of my friends. That is not safe and really not good to teach anyone.

Look where the man is and where the first shot is fired. How many yards away is that?? 40 yards?? I did some quick measurements based upon a 6 foot man. I am glad no one went to the ER.

upload_2015-11-1_18-47-41.png

Great practice right there. A friend is a better shot at a moving deer than still one, or at least it seems that way. He has done a bunch of duck and dove hunting for training. Hitting a moving target is pretty natural for him now. We don't do many drives anymore, not even one every year anymore, but it sure is nice knowing that a good shooter is waiting for the deer when I am tromping through the thick nasty stuff.

There isn't a person who legally steps foot on my property who would be dumb enough to turn the barrel 25 degrees to the left and 10 degrees up, and start shooting directly at the person who told the tire.
If and its a enormous if, he/she was that brain dead, they deserve to be thrown and jail and hung. That person rolling the tire has a better chance of being struck by lightning, than a bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life. someone standing down range in an open field of a live shooter.