looking for good mock scrape scent

Greta&Gus

5 year old buck +
In the idea of continuous improvement in land management, I have a plan to do most of my trail camera monitoring on mock scrapes this year. What is the best scent everyone has used for mock scrapes. I have used some in the past, but I am hoping for the 'secret potion' so to speak.

I pee in it also. Deer smell pee and don't know who it comes from.

Have you considered using rubbing posts? They work very well. I've gone to almost exclusive use for my trail cam monitoring. Cut them the right way and they'll be used to scrape under or at least for scent limbs. Deer are already using them while still in velvet.

STC_0072.JPG

Have you considered using rubbing posts? They work very well. I've gone to almost exclusive use for my trail cam monitoring. Cut them the right way and they'll be used to scrape under or at least for scent limbs. Deer are already using them while still in velvet.

View attachment 14638
Do you not use a scent with it?

In the idea of continuous improvement in land management, I have a plan to do most of my trail camera monitoring on mock scrapes this year. What is the best scent everyone has used for mock scrapes. I have used some in the past, but I am hoping for the 'secret potion' so to speak.

I have a biologist friend who did a lot of research on mock scrapes. What the guys have suggested above has been demonstrated in a study. This guy set out trail cameras and used different scents and than did a statistical analysis of scrape visits. As I recall, there was some negative reaction to fox urine. Human urine and deer urine showed no statistical differences in visits.

I would highly recommend using your own urine. First, you won't find anything fresher. Second, most natural deer urine sold is collected from captive deer. CWD prevalence in captive deer is high compared to wild deer in most areas. Science has shown prions can be present in collected urine. Our state recently outlawed the use of natural deer urine (synthetic is ok). Why take a chance of spreading the disease when you got the right stuff!

Thanks,

Jack

Drink a water or two (or something else if you prefer :emoji_smiley:) before checking the camera on the mock scrape.

I go out of my way to take a leak on scrapes. Seems odd at first, but works great. I honestly even wiz from my tree stand (and I'm a scent freak). I've never had a negative reaction from it and I've had more than one positive reaction.

-John

Ive heard great things about Pollicks Deer Lures. I tried the PreOrbital Gland Gel last year on my mock scrapes, it was expensive. I cant say I noticed anything different at all compared to when ive used my own urine.

If your licking branch is at the right height, in the right location, you can hardly do no wrong IMO. They will find it and use it, simple as that!

Don't laugh, but I just pee in mine..
It's all you have to do and you really only have to do it once or twice a season.

I pee in scrapes, too. And I no longer carry a urinal bottle to my stand. Other than that, my opinion is the best scent is no scent.

The picture I posted above, every other deer walking by that post is leaving their scent at it.

Ive heard great things about Pollicks Deer Lures. I tried the PreOrbital Gland Gel last year on my mock scrapes, it was expensive. I cant say I noticed anything different at all compared to when ive used my own urine.

If your licking branch is at the right height, in the right location, you can hardly do no wrong IMO. They will find it and use it, simple as that!

Agree. The proper licking branch is the key. I use Draw-N-Hold pre-orbital and my buddy uses Pollicks. Both are good to get a licking branch started. Once the licking branch takes off, nothing else is needed, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Human pee is as good as anything.
Another approach I've used is to transplant a genuine scrape. If you know of an active scrape that, for whatever the reason, isn't in the right spot, you can cut off the branch, plus scoop some of the dirt into a baggie and create a new scrape with those genuine deer scents in a place that suits you. The new scrape still needs to be in a logical scrape location and preferably have the wire-tied transplanted branch hanging from an existing live branch of a preferred species because the cut branch will have a short life span...it'll dry out, fall or get torn down. But by then, the existing live branch will have been anointed by live deer.
And when deer start to work the transplant, you no longer have to do much maintenance...the deer take it over and it has become a "real" scrape. It gotta be in the right location or they won't find it or use it.

I've posted this before, but it's just a full tree "planted" as a mock scrape/rubbing post. The video is a seasons worth of use (with MANY does removed from the video). No scent, just a tree. But it was in the middle of a field so they couldn't resist:

-John

I just re-did some licking branches yesterday. The old one's got torn out. I pee under them sometimes but have found that a passing deer will check the branch out, and once one has left scent they all will leave scent. Otherwise, if you want to buy something to put out I've found it doesn't matter what it is. I've used lots of different scents and they all can get a scrape started. Put the scent on the branch instead of the dirt though.
b67391a73bc120d980f0e766247cb8e6.jpg
929eddf4e463e82b0558a8771e8342e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you have a fair amount of deer in your hunting area, ( we do ), I just look for a pile of fresh droppings. If you find one with fresh pee on the droppings - even better. I carry rubber gloves for just such a finding and put the droppings with pee dribbled on them into a zip-lock bag and move to a mock scrape near one of my tree stands. Free, fresh, and native.

Drink a quart of water & eat some asparagus before you go out. create your mock scrape, I always start em small with a branch I find and then start wizin.

I will sometimes pee in a Gatorade bottle and take it out will me for extra "ammo".

The best "scrape juice" I've ever used was urine taken from a harvested buck. I put the urine in an old glass scent bottle I kept around for this reason. The bottle was left in my sweltering hot uninsulated garage all summer long. On October 1 I put the urine in a scrape dripper and hung a camera. The urine absolutely wreaked. I checked the camera a week or two later and couldn't believe how many different bucks it brought in. Most of which were in the first 3 days. Haven't done it since but maybe will have to do it again if we harvest any bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a biologist friend who did a lot of research on mock scrapes. What the guys have suggested above has been demonstrated in a study. This guy set out trail cameras and used different scents and than did a statistical analysis of scrape visits. As I recall, there was some negative reaction to fox urine. Human urine and deer urine showed no statistical differences in visits.

I would highly recommend using your own urine. First, you won't find anything fresher. Second, most natural deer urine sold is collected from captive deer. CWD prevalence in captive deer is high compared to wild deer in most areas. Science has shown prions can be present in collected urine. Our state recently outlawed the use of natural deer urine (synthetic is ok). Why take a chance of spreading the disease when you got the right stuff!

Thanks,

Jack
a lot of misinformation here regarding urine and CWD, heres a snippet from a study on this very issue-
It appears this maybe more politically motivated than science based.

CWD prions cannot be detected in

urine without amplification. Urine

from even clinically sick deer must

be highly concentrated, in order to

produce enough prions to even test.

In the study commonly referenced,

the urine was concentrated, 10 times

greater than normal, and then injected

directly into the brains of test sub-

jects. Even in these experimental con-

ditions that were extremely unnatural,

only 1 in 10 subjects proved infected.

Haley NJ, Seelig DM, Zabel MD, Telling GC, Hoover EA (2009) Detection of CWD Prions in Urine and Saliva of Deer by Transgenic Mouse Bioassay. PLoS ONE 4(3): e4848. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004848

Let’s be honest, deer in the wild don’t get urine injected into their brains.

a lot of misinformation here regarding urine and CWD, heres a snippet from a study on this very issue-
It appears this maybe more politically motivated than science based.

CWD prions cannot be detected in

urine without amplification. Urine

from even clinically sick deer must

be highly concentrated, in order to

produce enough prions to even test.

In the study commonly referenced,

the urine was concentrated, 10 times

greater than normal, and then injected

directly into the brains of test sub-

jects. Even in these experimental con-

ditions that were extremely unnatural,

only 1 in 10 subjects proved infected.

Haley NJ, Seelig DM, Zabel MD, Telling GC, Hoover EA (2009) Detection of CWD Prions in Urine and Saliva of Deer by Transgenic Mouse Bioassay. PLoS ONE 4(3): e4848. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004848

Let’s be honest, deer in the wild don’t get urine injected into their brains.

Not even close to following my post. We have a very progressive game department that took early action when CWD was found in a neighboring state. So far, CWD infected deer have been limited to a few area bordering that state. CWD prions have been found in CWD infected deer. There is a risk of transferring CWD when deer carcasses, body parts, or urine from infected deer are transferred to a new area. There is no approved process to check commercially collected and sold deer urine to ensure it is free of disease. Deer urine is often applied to scrapes by hunters where deer paw, lick, and can ingest prions. Prions can exist in soil for a very long time.

Our game department prudently outlawed the use of natural deer urine: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/natural-deer-urine-attractants/ and the link shows their well considered rationale. CWD is not a hot political issue in our state. We caught it early before it arrived and our game department and state legislature acted quickly to impose greater restrictions and regulations on captive deer and changed hunting regulations to reflect best practices in reducing spread. So far, our state have been pretty successful at limiting the rate of spread. Only time will tell how long this will last and if it does eventually become a charged political issue here as it is in many highly infected states.

Why would anyone want to take the risk of using natural deer urine in a mock scrape, when human urine has been shown to be just as effective? It seems foolish to me. Perhaps I'm more cautious because I don't want our state to end up in the situation many others have where much more difficult choices regarding significant population reduction must be made.

Thanks,

Jack

There is an incredible amount of misinformation spread regarding CWD. Anyway you look at it, much of it is fear mongering and absolutely political. Considering how long CWD has been acknowledged to exist, if the risk of using deer urine as an attractant was even a minute percentage CWD would have been detected virtually everywhere hunting takes place long ago. Imagine how many bottles of urine have been utilized in all areas across north america. If it was as transferable as some try to make others believe it would already have been detected/spread everywhere. I reside and grew up in WI and have lived thru the last 20 years of CWD hysteria. If this risk was warranted- Why would one want to even create a mock scrape at all? Why would you want bucks exchanging fluids more so than they already are? Knowing what we know about scrape usage and deer interaction, why in areas with CWD prevalence doesnt EVERY adult buck tested come back positive for CWD?
I make a lot of mock scrapes myself, and i have used both commercially sold urines and my own. I dont have any problem sleeping at night worrying that I'm putting my local deer at any additive risk for doing so. Loss of sleep usually occurs when i cant decide what stand to sit in on november 6th.