All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading sabotted muzzleloader bullets, give me your thoughts

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I have tried the TC sabotted bullets for my muzzleloaders a couple of times over the years. Why do they make them so frickin tough to push down the barrel? Yes I clean my gun thoroughly, yes I swab it out between shots when sighting in. After fighting with trying to load it a couple of times I just go back to the Powerbelts. I get acceptable enough accuracy out of the Powerbelts, but havent had the best of bullet performance with them. Any tricks folks have found to allow for easier seating of the sabotted bullets?

Bore Butter is the ticket.

Thanks for the info.! Supposedly are local Cabelas has both products in stock so I will stop there sometime this week and then give both products a "shot".:)

Borebutter or give the Barnes TEZ rounds a try. They work well for me in my TC.

Try different sabots, not all barrels are cut to the same dimensions.

Assuming you are shooting .45 cal bullets in a .50 cal muzzleloader. They make .452 and .458 bullets so you will need to know the size and then buy thinner sabots for your size bullet. Loading pressure should be between 20 -30 pounds to maintain a good seal and accuracy.

Should have mentioned you can buy sabots direct from the manufacturers, MMP or Harvester

I have tried the TC sabotted bullets for my muzzleloaders a couple of times over the years. Why do they make them so frickin tough to push down the barrel? Yes I clean my gun thoroughly, yes I swab it out between shots when sighting in. After fighting with trying to load it a couple of times I just go back to the Powerbelts. I get acceptable enough accuracy out of the Powerbelts, but havent had the best of bullet performance with them. Any tricks folks have found to allow for easier seating of the sabotted bullets?

So you buy a TC muzzleloader. The tight fit ensures the twist is transferred to the bullet. TCs come with a slightly larger diameter bore near the end so it is easier to start them. I don't even need to use a starter with mine. While a range rod is a bit easier because of the stiffness, I have no problem just using the field rod.

Thanks,

Jack

Keep in mind that the bore buttter is not an instant fix. It takes some time and some rounds to get the barrel really seasoned. I use the butter after every cleaning, it gets easier and easier to get them down as time goes on. When my MZ was new I could barely get the first one down and a second was impossible without a good swabbing. Now I can easily get 2 or 3 down without swabbing between shots. That comes into play a lot while you're trying to reload as fast as you can to prepare for a follow up shot. I learned how to reload on the run by watching The Last Of the Mohicans.

I spit on a patch and swab in between shots, switched to using White Hot pellets and Power Belt bullets a few years ago and have no issues tamping bullets in any more.

I only use two of the pellets and have been very happy with accuracy and hitting power.

Yes my current gun is a TC "Impact". Powerbelts load with no problem, but the TC "Shockwave" bullets in the sabots they came with are a tight SOB! I doubt I have more than 40 rounds through the barrel.

A lot of the bullet companies make a thinner plastic that loads easier, Hornady is the low drag, Barnes is T-EZ, I think the shockwaves are easy slides, try one of these brands should fix your problem

Yes my current gun is a TC "Impact". Powerbelts load with no problem, but the TC "Shockwave" bullets in the sabots they came with are a tight SOB! I doubt I have more than 40 rounds through the barrel.

That is interesting. I have two TC muzzleloaders and no trouble with the shockwave sabots. You might want to give TC a call. Or, it may be worth lapping your barrel.

Thanks,

Jack

I bought some borebutter and some of the previously mentioned sabots this morning when I went to town. I dont shoot my muzzleloader very often, so cant invest a lot of time in it right now. Generally if I havent shot my bucks with my bow or rifle, by the time muzzleloader season rolls around here I am pretty well frustrated and have given up hope of killing one for the year. I should draw a muzzleloader tag for antelope again next fall, so I will work on the problem more over the spring and summer as time permits.

I have a number of old White Rifle inlines that were designed for heavy conicals. If sized right for your barrel, conicals load easily into a fouled barrel and shoot accurately. I get 2 to 3" groups at 200 yards with my White Thunderbolt. I wouldn't shoot beyond 125 yds though with rang finding a deer and a drop compensating reticle. A 460gr conical has good performance at the end but starts dropping fast. I buy from No Excuses bullets at www.muzzleloading-bullets.com.

Borebutter or give the Barnes TEZ rounds a try. They work well for me in my TC.

agree.. I use the Barnes TEZ. I don't use the bore butter a lot. very minimal. Love the Barnes..

e4112a43a97f932574c7ded648523c99.png
e4112a43a97f932574c7ded648523c99.png

Leave the butter for bread on Thanksgiving day and go with the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ. They are designed to load easily and are way more accurate than either the Powerbelt or the TC. Add some Blackhorn 209 powder and you will never turn back.

Lots of options that work already mentioned. My experience with tc guns is the barrels are generally tight but vary quite a bit. Bore butter works fine as as a load lube, but i do not believe in it for "seasoning" your bore when not using gun imho as it is often used. Treat that rifling like any modern rifle in terms.of care (i.e. solvent cleaners and a good gun oil protectant)