Lime ?

MojoRisin

5 year old buck +
I might have an opportunity to get to deer camp next weekend to checkout the work an excavator did for me. I don't believe there will be snow on the ground but it will probably still be frozen (UP of MI). Can I spread pellatized lime on frozen ground or will it be a waste money? Being 3.5hrs from camp, I try to maximize each trip.

^^^^^^ The earlier it gets on the ground - the better !! My first trial run at spreading pelletized lime was on top of about 8" of snow at camp in February. That spring we had wild clover pop up where it hadn't existed before.

Thanks for letting me know. I was hoping that would be the answer so I could tackle this big job while there and ahead of schedule. I was assuming it would just leach into the ground as it melted.

I put out 560 lbs. of pelletized lime Friday afternoon. I am lucky I am not dealing with frozen ground or snow but, putting out lime is so anticlimactic in that unlike spraying gly or broadcasting seed you don't actually see the results and I always go away thinking was that enough? Was my math correct? Did I hit the whole plot equally?

When spreading lime, you're doing it to grow a food plot for deer. It's not like painting a wall, where EVERY square inch must be covered equally. If you have some thin spots, it's not the end of the world. If you till your ground at all, it'll get mixed around anyway.

The first time I spread pelletized lime in an old, neglected field, I threw it on top of snow. ( see post #3 above ). It wasn't evenly spread by any means, but the wild clover came up all through that field and the deer started feeding there regularly. The clover wasn't uniform all around the field, but the pH started to change and spreading more lime later made the clover fill in and we had a pretty good plot. That plot wasn't seeded - just wild clover.

Improvement starts the first day you put lime down. I was told by a Penn State Ag. professor to look at lime as the chemical " key " that unlocks the nutrients that are in the soil and makes them available to plants. FWIW.

Last edited:
I saw the name of your thread and chuckled a bit. Without reading the first line I thought the answer to most any question regarding lime is "YES" and "Now is a good time" :emoji_relaxed: "D"

I saw the name of your thread and chuckled a bit. Without reading the first line I thought the answer to most any question regarding lime is "YES" and "Now is a good time" :emoji_relaxed: "D"

Yeah I figured as much. I just wanted to be sure I was not wasting my time and money with the ground being frozen. I now know the answer to all lime questions :).

Lime & Gypsum are always helpful!