All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liberty herbicide question

My Interline from Rural King just arrived today. Even with shipping it was less expensive than anything I could find locally.

Reactions: Rit
32988319-FA81-4049-9000-88A1025A971C.jpeg78E8A16D-1943-426D-82FD-1F06CB4FBBD5.jpeg391545B9-1C7F-469A-B3B6-D1FBE6776EED.jpeg08EB66CF-63F5-4679-BDAA-F9BFAE0A562E.jpeg
I am 100% convinced Liberty/Interline has zero affect on germination. I had phenomenal germination less than 24 hours after spraying. Now I did broadcast big seeds onto concrete like clay with little thatch but I bought enough seed to plant twice knowing we had a tough summer. If we don’t get rain soon most of what germinated won’t make it. No evidence of sunflowers yet but I think the birds got a lot of them. You can also see really well where I missed a 12” strip.

those missed strips, hate it when that happens. One goes back to look a few days later and damn, there is a big ole strip alive and well. PITA to rectify.:emoji_grinning:

TTT.

Haven't read the whole thread, hoping someone can chime in.

Looking to kill off an old clover plot. Mostly weeds at this point. Just weed whipped it to the ground yesterday, gonna let it get about a weeks worth of growth than plan to nuke it with liberty. Cause at this point the mairstail/thistle/ragweed just laugh at r-up.

Plan is replant with alfalfa and birdsfoot trefoil. Any cause for concern with carryover or germination issues? Know the label says to wait like a year but looking for real world data.

Not a bunch of experience but I have sprayed and then planted brassicas and clover with no Problems.

Sometimes I think those only use X oz’s per year and wait X days/months before plating are just the lawyers being lawyers.

TTT.

Haven't read the whole thread, hoping someone can chime in.

Looking to kill off an old clover plot. Mostly weeds at this point. Just weed whipped it to the ground yesterday, gonna let it get about a weeks worth of growth than plan to nuke it with liberty. Cause at this point the mairstail/thistle/ragweed just laugh at r-up.

Plan is replant with alfalfa and birdsfoot trefoil. Any cause for concern with carryover or germination issues? Know the label says to wait like a year but looking for real world data.
Based on Bill's experience, I did a burndown with a liberty generic (interline) because of a marestail issue. I used it just as I would glyphosate in terms of planting immediately. I planted WR/CC/PTT/GHR in the fall after a burndown and buckwheat/sunn hemp in the spring following a burndown and had no issues with ground residual impacts on germination.

I will say I really miss it. I was getting a 2.5 gal jug from Rural King for $99. Now, I can't find it anywhere and other brands are $250+!

Not a bunch of experience but I have sprayed and then planted brassicas and clover with no Problems.

Sometimes I think those only use X oz’s per year and wait X days/months before plating are just the lawyers being lawyers.
Several years ago I was saying something like that to a person I didn't know. Halfway thru my tirade I thought to stop to ask the person if he was a lawyer. He said, yes I am - and I couldn't agree with you more.

Label rates are the most riskless that still have a chance to do what it's intended to do. The label language - pages and pages of some kind of language - will be your best friend for knowing how much you can boost your rates but you need to read between the lines and look in multiple places. And you need to know your soils. Certain characteristics along with the weather variable will affect everything from kill rates to soil residual.

And, as an aside, it's worth noting some herbicides are developed to retard the growth of the target plants while allowing the desired crop to out compete over time.

Several years ago I was saying something like that to a person I didn't know. Halfway thru my tirade I thought to stop to ask the person if he was a lawyer. He said, yes I am - and I couldn't agree with you more.

Label rates are the most riskless that still have a chance to do what it's intended to do. The label language - pages and pages of some kind of language - will be your best friend for knowing how much you can boost your rates but you need to read between the lines and look in multiple places. And you need to know your soils. Certain characteristics along with the weather variable will affect everything from kill rates to soil residual.

And, as an aside, it's worth noting some herbicides are developed to retard the growth of the target plants while allowing the desired crop to out compete over time.

I love this. I too am a lawyer, and I am famous for saying “for a lawyer, I am a darn good farmer, carpenter, plumber, operator, machinist, welder and electrician - BUT none of those trades have to worry about me taking their day job”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on Bill's experience, I did a burndown with a liberty generic (interline) because of a marestail issue. I used it just as I would glyphosate in terms of planting immediately. I planted WR/CC/PTT/GHR in the fall after a burndown and buckwheat/sunn hemp in the spring following a burndown and had no issues with ground residual impacts on germination.

I will say I really miss it. I was getting a 2.5 gal jug from Rural King for $99. Now, I can't find it anywhere and other brands are $250+!

Interesting thread. I have zero experience with Liberty/Interline but I do like the idea of it being very effective on clovers as I have a hard time terminating medium red clover especially with Glyphosate and I don't like having to wait 15-30 days after applying 2,4-D to plant.

Question came up on the Michigan Sportsman forum about the 70 wait after spraying Liberty prior to planting brassicas. The food plotter sprayed Liberty and (2 weeks later) "Broadcasted" a mixture of "Brassicas (2), clovers (4), rape, turnips, kale, buckwheat, vetch...." This was in Michigan where we have been experiencing moderate drought conditions and high temps but he did get 1/2" of rain 3-4 days later and more rain on 3 other days. 19 days after planting he has almost zero germination.

@Bill and @yoderjac - I understand that you both planted brassicas shortly after a Liberty burndown with no issues whatsoever, however, I believe you both plant with no-till drills? Have you, or anyone else planted brassicas following Liberty by "broadcasting" the seed with success? I am really curious about this - particularly in light of the label warning of waiting 70 days before planting:

1660906981314.png

Thanks

@Bill and @yoderjac - I understand that you both planted brassicas shortly after a Liberty burndown with no issues whatsoever, however, I believe you both plant with no-till drills? Have you, or anyone else planted brassicas following Liberty by "broadcasting" the seed with success? I am really curious about this - particularly in light of the label warning of waiting 70 days before planting:

That I haven’t done in the past, I’ve always drilled after liberty. “I think”.
This year I did broadcast brassicas into beans about 30 days after spraying liberty. Neighbors cows got in them and have the beans about 6 inches tall. 6/10ths of an inch of rain a few days after broadcasting last week and if the forecast comes true some is on the way today.

So I’ll know a tad bit more on this question when I get back out there.

Interesting thread. I have zero experience with Liberty/Interline but I do like the idea of it being very effective on clovers as I have a hard time terminating medium red clover especially with Glyphosate and I don't like having to wait 15-30 days after applying 2,4-D to plant.

Question came up on the Michigan Sportsman forum about the 70 wait after spraying Liberty prior to planting brassicas. The food plotter sprayed Liberty and (2 weeks later) "Broadcasted" a mixture of "Brassicas (2), clovers (4), rape, turnips, kale, buckwheat, vetch...." This was in Michigan where we have been experiencing moderate drought conditions and high temps but he did get 1/2" of rain 3-4 days later and more rain on 3 other days. 19 days after planting he has almost zero germination.

View attachment 45348

Thanks

Keep in mind that the Rotational Crop Restrictions consider human uptake of the herbicide. Since we don't harvest, the real consideration for us is soil residual effect on the next crop. I've broadcast buckwheat and sunn hemp with no issues and I've also planted a fall crop of PTT/CC/WR before spraying with no impact on germination or growth.

Keep in mind that the Rotational Crop Restrictions consider human uptake of the herbicide. Since we don't harvest, the real consideration for us is soil residual effect on the next crop. I've broadcast buckwheat and sunn hemp with no issues and I've also planted a fall crop of PTT/CC/WR before spraying with no impact on germination or growth.
Did you drill the PTT/CC/WR or broadcast it?

I broadcast it.
OK thanks. Doesn't sound like the Liberty was the issue then. Maybe the drought weather was the culprit.

OK thanks. Doesn't sound like the Liberty was the issue then. Maybe the drought weather was the culprit.
I certainly wasn't in my case. I plan to use it as part of a pre-plant burndown next week.