Lets discuss: How will hunting change in the future?

Was drinking a beer with the neighbor today and he claimed 51% of America now gets some kind of welfare. Can it be true?
I've heard similar, but have not fact-checked. I would have no trouble believing it.
Not to derail the subject, but 98% of Americans get some form of welfare. Ever itemize your mortgage interest on your taxes? I do and technically it's a kick back. Every tax write off is welfare.
BS. It's a shot of cheap whiskey they hope makes you forget they stole your money in the first place. They're trading a couple bucks for your soul.

This may surprise some of you, but I hope it doesn't come to all hunting being privatized behind high fence. I think options are great. You wanna hunt high fence? Have at it. You'd rather hunt your private farm "free-range", managed as you see fit? Knock yourself out. You prefer chasing them down on public land with a bunch of weekend warriors? Have fun, but make sure you tuck and roll when the powder starts burning.
What will have the biggest effect on the future of hunting? Which idiots the sheep of this great country elect into public office. Approximately 60% of the US is publicly owned, so the opportunities are there to the degree our esteemed leaders allow them. This country (as a whole) seems to value liberty less and less with passing time, so I'd say the future, sadly, looks dim. I sincerely hope I am wrong as I am passing the tradition to my three up-and-comers, but what they have to look forward to I am not certain.
That's why I wanted to get land as soon as possible. Who knows what's going to happen with private wooded land? Could it go the way of farmland (high priced no matter how unprofitable or poor)?

Not to derail the subject, but 98% of Americans get some form of welfare. Ever itemize your mortgage interest on your taxes? I do and technically it's a kick back. Every tax write off is welfare.

I disagree. In think of welfare as money taken from those who earn it and given to those who do not. Itemization is not welfare. It is using a tool available to working/ home owning people to avoid government confiscation.

Was drinking a beer with the neighbor today and he claimed 51% of America now gets some kind of welfare. Can it be true?

The 51% represents the percentage of people who are getting some kind of social assistance not technically welfare. This does not include Social Security or Medicare but programs like food stamps. An alarming percentage for sure. It does make you wonder if the pendulum has swung so far that moderate to conservative valued politician have zero chance of getting elected. Considering Hillary's comments about immigration, "Obama's amnesty did not go far enough", the direction doesn't look good.

In the future taxes will drive allot of behavior and with the change in demographics (boomers aging) there will be allot of demand for tax dollars. Who is going to pay for all this stuff, those with assets on their balance sheet. People will end up voting with their feet, workers and retired people will continue to relocate to no state tax states.

How all this effects hunting, their will be competition for hunting or land dollars so hunter numbers will most likely decline. In general most long term trends I see are away from hunting.

People will end up voting with their feet, workers and retired people will continue to relocate to no state tax states.
That isn't all the peaches and cream everyone makes it out to be. Just ask my parents how they like the no state taxes thing in WY where they currently live. Sure there are no state income taxes, but the state nickel and dimes you for every little thing you can imagine. They have fees for things you couldn't dream up on your best day. Permit for this, license for that, fees, fees, fees. And they are not the only "no income tax" state to do that type of thing. My parents are worse off now than when they lived in WI paying higher land and income taxes and had far better and far more services even in crappy Juneau Co than they have had in WY since moving there over a year ago.

Everyone in this country is subsidized in one way shape or form, or is on some sort of welfare. That is how our democratic society is set up. The problem is that less and less people are paying actual taxes that support this system. And the ones that are paying taxes, keep paying more and more, and it can not continue.

Everyone in this country is subsidized in one way shape or form, or is on some sort of welfare. That is how our democratic society is set up. The problem is that less and less people are paying actual taxes that support this system. And the ones that are paying taxes, keep paying more and more, and it can not continue.
You got that right.

I doubt 51% of people in the country pay income taxes.

You got that right.

I doubt 51% of people in the country pay income taxes.

......and some of those are marginal taxes. I really wonder how we can do more new projects.....when we can't support the crumbling infrastructure we have now. Look at all the expensive bridges and tunnels and sewers that need to be replaced. Yikes.

Not replying to anyone in particular...just want to point out to everyone that "welfare" tends to conjure up images (stereotypes) for many of us. When guys are using government programs to help pay for habitat projects they're just as "guilty" as the folks who are collecting other forms of support. I've seen "The program is there, why not take advantage of it?" stated a lot over the years....what do you think those collecting other forms of "welfare" say to themselves?

Usually the response to my pointing something like this out is "ya, but its only a drop in the bucket compared to XYZ program". IMO...government assistance is government assistance. FTR...I include buying trees/shrubs/whatever from the DNR/SWCD as well. There are privately owned companies out there providing those services/products...use them.

Rant over

No doubt! We are all guilty of being on the government dole, myself included. And it depends how you want to classify welfare? Many that don't work get welfare for doing nothing. Some get welfare because they can't do anything, and should get welfare. But when farmers and non farmers get tagged with receiving welfare, it has been justified with at least they are doing something to improve habitat, wildlife, water quality, erosion, supplying the food chain with food when its not possible to grow a crop for a profit.

Same as many school teachers have been on welfare for years. And I am not pointing the finger at any one school teacher. Why should a person, many farmers, that never had the chance to go to college have to continue to pay for all the subsidized loans for all the students that can go to college to become teachers? Why should those same people have to pay for all the teachers that participate in the "Teacher Loan Forgiveness Act" where educators write off billions of dollars of there student loans for being a teacher. Why should we have to continue to pay for new schools in rural communities with declining enrollment? Why should we have to continue to pay unreal school budgets while teachers certainly are not turning out smarter kids.

Because its the way it is!

Rant Over!;)

Last edited:

:confused: That is pretty broad statement. What do you mean by kickback? Maybe to realtors and mortgage brokers who try to convince people who have little personal finance knowledge that they should buy a more expensive house because of the tax write-off. Any individuals or businesses that make purchases based solely on the tax write offs quickly end up with cash flow and financial problems.

<35% of individual tax returns in MN have the mortgage interest deduction. My wife and I received a $32 benefit in 2014 because of itemizing deductions that included interest, state taxes, real estate taxes and donations. No it wasn't welfare, it was money we had earned that we did not have to pay to uncle sam. I guess we should have bought a more expensive house :rolleyes:

^.....and why should those who have never grown corn....pay for those that grow corn? It's a vicious circle. ;)

^.....and why should those who have never grown corn....pay for those that grow corn? It's a vicious circle. ;)

Because powerful lobbies make it so. Hunters don't have that lobby and it is changing hunting.

You could look at it as you are eating that corn/corn-based products and if you would like it to stay under $2 an ear, you must help subsidize the industry. The faulty logic with that is that we are then paying for it twice anyway, so who knows what we actually pay for an ear of corn in the big scheme of things.

Everything in the country is one big lobby. Ag and Education hire some of the best would be my guess as to why they seem to receive the most money.

But I don't see anyone in education investing millions per household as farmers do to make a $50K yearly income.

Everything in the country is one big lobby. Ag and Education hire some of the best would be my guess as to why they seem to receive the most money.

But I don't see anyone in education investing millions per household as farmers do to make a $50K yearly income.
It is also easy for these 2 groups to pull on peoples fears and emotions. No one wants to starve or have stupid kids, so it is easy to get folks to believe that without this extra funding, this is what would take place.

It is also easy for these 2 groups to pull on peoples fears and emotions. No one wants to starve or have stupid kids, so it is easy to get folks to believe that without this extra funding, this is what would take place.

We certainly are not starving by the looks of things, but there sure seem to be a lot of dumbass kids around. But there seemed to be plenty in my day as well. But the big difference from then til now, is the kids today don't have enough common sense to get off der ass and work a job, any job!

Kids from "good" homes oftentimes leave home without ever having had to break a sweat while working, many times because the parents had done so and never wanted their kids to have to work like that.

Nailed it. Last summer we were at the In Laws cabin cutting up a few fallen over trees from a storm. It was me, my son, and my brother in law....... Where was the nephew? On the couch in the cabin watching phucking golf!!!!!!!!!!
My brother in law has told me EXACTLY those words Stu..... He doesnt want to drive his kid into hating him for doing shit work like he had to do as a kid....

Well tough frickin shit. The kid is 16 years old and doesnt do a thing except play golf or lay around watching golf. And thats no crap.

Nailed it. Last summer we were at the In Laws cabin cutting up a few fallen over trees from a storm. It was me, my son, and my brother in law....... Where was the nephew? On the couch in the cabin watching phucking golf!!!!!!!!!!
My brother in law has told me EXACTLY those words Stu..... He doesnt want to drive his kid into hating him for doing shit work like he had to do as a kid....

Well tough frickin shit. The kid is 16 years old and doesnt do a thing except play golf or lay around watching golf. And thats no crap.
I hope he is smart enough to become a CEO, Dr. or a lawyer, those are the only professions that will afford him the extra time and extra money to play lots of golf on a regular basis throughout his working career. Getting a "normal" job either won't pay enough to play all the time, or you will have to work overtime to be able to afford to play and then not have the time to play anyway. That young man will have a reality check coming up here real soon, like 2 years from now, that is of course unless mom and dad let him suck off the teat after he turns 18(which it sounds like dad might be privy to), then no worries for him.

Last edited:
The kid has zero personality.... so chances of him being a leader is slim to none at this point.
Mommy and Daddy will be coddling this one for a long time to come once he realizes what the real world has to offer him.

2 out of my 3 kids did not need any kicking, they have taken the bull by the horns in life and are doing well. But my youngest son got thrown out of the house for not stopping the drugs and not going to work or school. Did not want to get up in the morning and help with the farm chores, just wanted to stay up all night texting and sleep all day. Was as easy choice for me to throw him out as that is similar to what happened to me by my father and it gave me the reality check I needed. We tried getting our son help, but since he is of age, you can't. He got the tough love he needed I thought but has not come around in 3 years. He continues to leach off of his friends and Grand Parents who keep enabling him with there gifts of cash. He needs to hit bottom as I did in my youth. But society is too nice and will never allow that to happen anymore. So many will never amount to anything, hate to think my son will be one of them, just the way it is.