Leaving a stand hanging

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
Ive got a Millenium treestand hanging in a big elm. Its my #1 stand. The last 3 years I have pulled it by now. I rehang in the same tree in late August. A buddy recommended pulling the safety line since squirrels like them and leaving the stand up. Milleniums use a chain so I would pull the lower ratchet off and likely take the seat off as well. Maybe even take the ladder strapped to the tree. What do you guys do?

Ive got a Millenium treestand hanging in a big elm. Its my #1 stand. The last 3 years I have pulled it by now. I rehang in the same tree in late August. A buddy recommended pulling the safety line since squirrels like them and leaving the stand up. Milleniums use a chain so I would pull the lower ratchet off and likely take the seat off as well. Maybe even take the ladder strapped to the tree. What do you guys do?
I used to leave the receiver in the tree on those and pull the stand when I had those. I replaced the straps for the ladder as needed.

I used to leave the receiver in the tree on those and pull the stand when I had those. I replaced the straps for the ladder as needed.
What do you mean by the reciever? To clarify this is a hang on, not a ladder stand.

What do you mean by the reciever? To clarify this is a hang on, not a ladder stand.
Mine had these receivers. I still have receivers, but got rid of the stands.
f7cb4dddfa794ed7b28fa093edb47c2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The problem I've had is that the tree grows around the bracket if you leave it too long. How long depends on the type of tree. Also, if you leave it tightly attached, the tree can move a lot in a heavy winter storm putting stress on the metal.

On the other hand, taking down a big Millennium ladder stand and putting it up is a real task. I've come to a compromise. First, I loosen the strap and then lean the stand out away from the tree and insert 2x4 blocks between the gripping bar and the tree. I cut slots in these blocks so the slip over the bar. I then tighten the strap just enough that the stand won't fall over. When the tree sways in the wind, the blocks slide up and down the tree a bit relieving stress on the metal.

Before the next season, I remove the block and tighten the strap. I DON'T do this from the stand itself. I use an extension ladder, but one could also use a climber depending on the tree.

Hope this helps.

I have several that are fixed to the tree because the tree grew around the gripping bar. At some point these will become unsafe. I check them each year before use.

Thanks,

Jack

Mine had these receivers. I still have receivers, but got rid of the stands.
f7cb4dddfa794ed7b28fa093edb47c2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, mine didnt have a receiver. It is chain on however. Ive thought about loosening the chain some to allow the tree to have some room to hopefully prevent the issue yoderjac has had..

I leave my stands up. Have too many to take up/down. Each year we loosen the straps, reposition them slightly to keep them from growing into the tree and adjust/inspect the straps. We add an additional strap every other year. I have had no issues with squirrels messing with my Millennium stands or life lines, as of yet. They do chew the little plastic plugs that go in the end of square tubing some.

I’m with swat. My stands stay. There all ladders at this point..
I used to use Hang on’s 30 feet up. Now I won’t use one 20 foot up.

Each one has two ratchet straps, last years and this years new one. We do break the straps free once a year so their not as tight as guitar strings..

I leave my ladders up too. I do loosen the straps in the spring to allow the tree to grow without stretching the strap. I’ll be replacing most of the straps this year on the stands that are a couple years old just to be safe - lifelines too.

I leave mine up.

I agree and practice the "leave up and loosen" on my ladder stand(s). I don't use hang-ons - I prefer the mobility of my climber. I suspect that will change at some point in the future.

We have all ladder stands too, same as everyone else we leave ours out loosen straps pull cushions off.

Yep same here... leave up and adjust straps. And pull off cushions before squirrels get to them.

Walked through parts of the woods yesterday I have never been through (woods are often flooded so deep winter is the only nice time to go through). Found a cheap ladder stand up. Based on the worn ratchet straps I'd guess it has been there maybe 5 years. Seat section of the stand was bent. I would have figured ratchet straps would break before the metal bends but I guess not. Prior owner did not hunt so it is a trespasser's stand.

In a perfect world - I would take them down every year, and have done so in the past....but man it can be some work to do that. The main reason for doing so is because it's much easier, safer and in more detail to inspect the stand and straps and the like while on the ground (it also reduces the amount of weather they are exposed to). I also was doing this as we would move some stands as well. At this point in my hunting career....I mostly hunt from my enclosed blinds with my kids. I will put up a couple ladder type stands to hunt from myself but they are far easier to put up and take down in my opinion (the 2 man ones can be a bear with just one person). The ladders I simply pull the straps and cushions and leave the stand be. I don;t have any chains on my stands so if I pull the straps the stand comes down....

I loosen straps on my ladder stands and put a piece of pipe insulation on the toothed bar.

I don't use multiple hang ons anymore now that I got the new lone wolf I hang and hunt 90%of the time

As bill said, I don't go as high as I once did. Now im generally 20 feet up max, this year I got set up in my portable hang on, looked up and there was a old stand of mine another 12 feet up. Funny what changes as the years go by

The older I get, the more I realize that a ladder is the last thing I want to hunt from.
They're too heavy, too difficult to move, PIA to set, and often impossible to get to certain locations. Plus, they are pretty much a fixed height.
Saddles are mobile, light, versatile, comfortable and safe.

leaving loc on stands stands on all yr is a ticking time bomb, read any OEM makers instructions, they will tell you not to even leave up for a few weeks, never mind all yr
Ladder stands can be left up with less issue's IMO< but need inspection every yr before use and replacing straps and again checking welds before reusing!
I would never leave a LOC on up all yr and feel safe in it!

a tree growing can make thousands of lbs in force on straps and chains, and welds on tree stands, ad in UV and weathering issue's and its a WHEN will something bad happen and not a IF
yes many do it, but then again some folks win the lottery too
why risk it, the extra work won;t look so bad if it saves you from a fall

doubt anyone that ever fell wished they couldntl go back in time and do something differently!

and YES I know accidents can still happen, but again, taking down lowers them odds a LOT!
and we should all do all we can to avoid accidents!
Just foolish not to!

Same as others have said we leave em up but loosen all straps (ladders and stands) after season and tighten back up before season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We pull our stands and flip/loosen the chain for the bracket. In late august/early september we buzz around on a morning and drop them back in the slot for the bracket.

I don't like having the nylon and seat out in the weather all year.

We leave the sticks up