All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lease Out Hunting Land?

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Does anyone lease out their land to other hunters?

I bow hunt only and am typically done before gun season (WI). We take very few deer and mature bucks only. As a result, if I could find a like minded hunter, I'd consider leasing out exclusive gun rights to one person to help pay the bills and cover habitat improvement projects. Aside from the added pressure, are there other downsides I'm not thinking about? I'd make them get liability coverage.

One other positive is that it would have someone watching the land during a portion of the season that I wouldn't be out much and it might help me fend of the neighbors that want to hunt it if they know someone is already out there...

This would be in the Dunn County area of WI, not sure how much demand there is for something like this anyway... If I couldn't get a decent price, probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Has anyone done this before with good or bad results? Anything that I'm not thinking of???

If the land looks good someone would snap it up quick. You better make sure who ever you find you trust. Most people are not going to hold off shooting if they are paying top dollar for a short term lease. You might be better off just letting it sit for the nine day season and let that work to your advantage.

All I will say is that I have had issue with some friends hunting on my place and doing dumb stuff and having to deal with their sense of entitlement.......I can't imagine what a paying customer would be like! I can't imagine trying to repair a relationship with a good neighbor all because I gave some ding-dong access to my place.......it just isn't worth the risk to me. Especially considering that this guy could do his thing and walk away.....and your left to deal with whatever "mess" he has created. just my opinion.

Once you lease your land, you can write-up any rules you want. Problem is you will loose control of any conditions you may have established that improves your bow hunting, once you lease to someone for gun hunting.

Expect people to want to put up their own stands or move stands, cut lanes, walk the entire property (even if you have a set aside sanctuaries), put scent out, shoot what they want, etc. Probably expect to scout pre-gun season. There are also potential issues with neighbors if they trespass or shoot across fence lines.

I gave permission once to an older neighbor to go rabbit hunting with his beagle after gun season. the following year he had given permission for his kids to squirrel hunt, I caught them drive our ditches before work jump shooting ducks, etc.

Sometimes the lease $$ are never worth the headaches with someone else on your land.

If you are into management, then leasing during the gun season would be counter productive? If you just want deer for venison, then I guess it would be an option--not for me personally.

I didnt lease mine, but I let the neighbor hunt it for bow after the gun season. He used it as it was his, many people on it, leaving litter, even shutting off my trail cameras. It was a 1 time deal. But it was years later and I was still catching him on my land. After he decided to hunt his land with his army during rifle season, hunting all of my property lines, I made sure to walk up to him during prime time and let him know to stay off my land. I havent seen him rifle hunting since. He may still bow hunt, but I havent had pictures of him on my land since. To me it is begging for problems. But if you need the income, and are pretty lenient on how people hunt, have at'er!

If you don't charge more than $2000, not need for liability coverage as you are protected under WI rec use law.

I think that's such an individualized case by case situation. Trust being one of the biggest factors. I own a small property and during hunting season we really took the low impact, hunt the edges approach. I haven't yet let anyone on the land unless I was there with the exception of my neighbor. I've known him less than a year but sometimes you can just tell right away who and what they are as an individual. At the end of the season last year I extended the offer to let him hunt with his crossbow over one of my trails using our existing stands. He was very appreciative of the offer and he knows it came from the fact that I trusted him and likewise appreciated him looking after things when I'm not around. I don't think he was over there much at all. I sure couldn't tell he'd been there. This year he wants me to show him how I did what I did on my place so he can do some of the same. That's the only kind of person I'd let use my land. I'd say if it got you a few extra dollars and you knew it was someone you trusted to treat both the land and your goals with respect then it's worth considering. At this point I'd probably be working on my land when I'm done hunting most of the time so I'd probably not do it - but that's me..

I thought about leasing my 122 acres and concluded that the headaches from letting persons who I did not know hunt on my land, even though they are paying for that right, are just not worth it to me. Same line of reasoning why I never became a landlord renting out houses. You would have to carry a large amount of liability insurance. Your land could be considered commercial. That might lead to a visit for the town assessor and higher property taxes. Another thing to consider is just how much per acre you could get for your land. I have 18 permanent stands on my land. I would not want anyone that is leasing the land using my stands. Just a law suit waiting to happen. I like to get to my land when ever I can work it into my schedule. I sure would not want to arrange my schedule around a person paying to hunt on my land.
If you really need the money go for it. If you do, please post a thread in about 9-12 months time and let us know how it worked out for you.

If you don't charge more than $2000, not need for liability coverage as you are protected under WI rec use law.

Why would you lease below a $$ figure knowing you would not need liability insurance?

If I was a lawyer I would be more motivated to sue if you did not have an insurance company that would subrograte damages. I would know you are alone in handling damages ... and force legal costs on you to $30-$50k forcing you to give up your property and everything you own ... most lawsuits never go to trial, they settle because people have no idea what lawsuits & their costs are all about and get swamped by legal fees.

An umbrella liability policy added by your insurance carrier is ~$150.00-200.00 per $1 million of coverage ... add it to the yearly lease. They would be a named person in any suit and would deter some suits.

If you lease, property in our area is going for $15-$40/acre, require the leassor to provide liability insurance certificate from their insurer ... you know that you have a responsible lessee ... if you are strapped for cash, accept more frustration and problems.

If you want mature bucks, don't do it. In Wisconsin, pressure and bumping bucks during gun season is what gets them killed. Someone paying you "expects" bucks and will shoot the best buck they see on Saturday, or the first buck they see on Sunday. Even if they don't shoot anything, most would come and go multiple times during the day, pushing any deer that call your land home out.

Why would you lease below a $$ figure knowing you would not need liability insurance?

If I was a lawyer I would be more motivated to sue if you did not have an insurance company that would subrograte damages. I would know you are alone in handling damages ... and force legal costs on you to $30-$50k forcing you to give up your property and everything you own ... most lawsuits never go to trial, they settle because people have no idea what lawsuits & their costs are all about and get swamped by legal fees.

An umbrella liability policy added by your insurance carrier is ~$150.00-200.00 per $1 million of coverage ... add it to the yearly lease. They would be a named person in any suit and would deter some suits.

If you lease, property in our area is going for $15-$40/acre, require the leassor to provide liability insurance certificate from their insurer ... you know that you have a responsible lessee ... if you are strapped for cash, accept more frustration and problems.

Depending on the property dynamics it might not be prudent to charge over $2,000 for a lease, maybe someone gets in for $500 and that's all the spare cash they have.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get a liability rider if needed and I would not lease myself and my property is covered by ins but I think the law was made to protect landowners against those that share your opinion. Sure they could sue regardless (and lose), but the landowner could counter sue as well and get all court costs and etc covered.

There are a lot of worst-case scenarios so you'll have to weigh in and see if the worse they can do is valued at what you are going to charge them. A strict vetting process is a must and I would lay out specifically when they can scout and terms if they shoot something under a minimum size assuming you can monitor that. It could also turn out you find a great person and pick up some extra cash you might not otherwise have.

One other positive is that it would have someone watching the land during a portion of the season that I wouldn't be out much and it might help me fend of the neighbors that want to hunt it if they know someone is already out there...
You mention neighbors want to hunt it. Do any of them have something that you need or want? If so a trade may be in order, this could be a win-win situation with no cash exchanged. Maybe they have access to heavier equipment that you could use for habitat improvements. Maybe using their land to access yours during bow season will give you lower impact stand entry/exit routes. There is nobody better than a good neighbor to keep an eye on your place when you are gone. And I believe a neighbor would respect your harvest goals more than some stranger paying cash.

I pay $330 yearly for a $2 million vacant land liability coverage policy on my property. That is a very reasonable rate because most insurance companies these days have a minimum amount that they charge on such a policy. So don't think insurance coverage will be cheap. If you lease your land, insurance coverage is a must have. Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up for a lot of potential problems.

I personally wouldn't do it... If you run across a like minded guy and get him to help with improvements, you bow hunt he gun hunts. That may be a workable deal, but you better be able to trust him!

I have a couple friends that I allow to hunt my place like it was theirs, they have the same policy at their place. We all need a change of scenery once in awhile.

I pay $330 yearly for a $2 million vacant land liability coverage policy on my property. That is a very reasonable rate because most insurance companies these days have a minimum amount that they charge on such a policy. So don't think insurance coverage will be cheap. If you lease your land, insurance coverage is a must have. Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up for a lot of potential problems.

What is your net worth?

What is the value of the land you own?

What other asssts do you own?

What is your future earning ability?

It has nothing to do with cost of insurance, it is risk of loss ... based on attachable assets ... we have considerable asset insurance beyond XXXXXXXXXXX ... most people spend more o starbucks coffe in 3 months than they do on liability insurance in a year ...

Depending on the property dynamics it might not be prudent to charge over $2,000 for a lease, maybe someone gets in for $500 and that's all the spare cash they have.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get a liability rider if needed and I would not lease myself and my property is covered by ins but I think the law was made to protect landowners against those that share your opinion. Sure they could sue regardless (and lose), but the landowner could counter sue as well and get all court costs and etc covered.

If you think all court costs are covered .... you have never been involved in a lawsuit ... I have several times in my business.

I will give everyone here the most important legal advice you will ever receive ...

• never get sued
  • never sue anyone

You will spend $40-$50k before you ever understand the importance of the above ... then another $50k before you settle ... if you think you are smarter than that, better than that, good luck ... you get learn the legal system :emoji_sunglasses:

I was involved in a suit started by a neighbor of my hunting land 25 years ago and it cost me the equivalent of a real nice big HP Kubota tractor. It screws with your head. I do not want to be back in that situation EVER AGAIN. I have a low impact relationship with that neighbor ever since. Neighborly enough to communicate directly with each other, rather than through attorneys.
So I must second Tree Spud's advice.

Look the pros and cons over REALLY good.....myself I don't see an upside to it.