All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lake Miltona Area

MN Slick

5 year old buck +
Anyone hunt around the Lake Miltona area, Northern Douglas County and Southern Ottertail? In general how is the deer herd around there? Great looking deer country but it is in MN........

I know BLB's area of Ottertail is managed poorly so hopefully he's not in this zone. No offense BLB!

There are some big pieces of public around there that I'm going to check out but will likely wait until spring. I'm sure they get p-pounded but it's worth a try when the muskies aren't cooperating.

Thanks

It is pretty good for MN standards. I always see deer over there, and it's close to Parkers Prairie which I would consider one of the better areas in this part of the state.

I used to work in all the little towns between Alex and Wadena and those guys used to get some very nice bucks.

It can be a good area depending on where you are at in that general area. I know BLB has a tough area but my relatives are not that far away from him and have great hunting. In general I would say it is pretty darn good.

In general the terrain is text book for deer.

Hunting could and should be much better overall.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I need to invest some time in the area. Is anyone familiar with the lowland public ground around there? Are they cattail marshes or swamps?

I am familiar with some of them if you have one in mind. There is a good mix of lowland habitat around there. I tend to consider all lowlands swamps unless its open water.

In general best way to get info on WMA's is download the WMA boundaries for google earth. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html

As for WPA's. You can use http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Fergus_Falls_WMD/map.html. You can change the base layer to imagery to see what is there.

Then you can get a good satellite image of them. Not as good as boots on ground but a good start. You can also get the Walk in area info on the DNR website but you need a WIA stamp ($3?) to go on them.

I have zero clue how much pressure the public lands get in the area, but pretty sure they see a lot.

A couple areas to check out would be the Snow Lakes WMA. Stunning terrain.
I am forgetting the name of the one thats adjacent to Rokes WMA, which is west of 29 a few miles and on the south side of 210. That one I believe is over 1000 acres and a lot of it is very thick, tangled, nasty lowlands/swamps.

Here is the one west of 29 and south of 210

Here is the Snow Lakes one.

Last edited:
I know the Almora swamp (first one) gets some pressure during bow season but you should be able to find a secluded spot I would imagine. Snow Lakes area is really cool area. Do not know much about pressure though.

Good info guys thanks.

I doubt you'd feel overwhelmed with pressure during the archery season, but I am guessing there would be lots of gun hunters.

I have heard good things about the area BLB is talking about but no first hand knowledge. I have also heard about some very nice bucks north of Osakis as well.

I can't speak for the area in question...but I'd agree with bwoods on archery season pressure (or the lack of it). Around me, I see very little archery pressure. Some on the weekends...next to nothing during the week.

I see the same thing around here Stu. One of the reasons I like this area so much. I bet I could gain bowhunting access to 100's of acres of land if I had any desire to do so. I'm too old for that though.

I have a few more bow hunters by me. We had many more when we had multiple tags. Both neighboring landowners in my section have father/sons that bow hunt. Sons hunt much more than the guys my age.

When we had multiple tags, the neighboring Wildlife Management Area would have 5- 10 cars bow hunting on opening weekend. Now there have been two or three cars on opening weekend and they seem to drop off quickly. The rifle season has become very similar in number of cars on the state lands.

I see the same thing around here Stu. One of the reasons I like this area so much. I bet I could gain bowhunting access to 100's of acres of land if I had any desire to do so. I'm too old for that though.
I could hunt more lands, also if I wanted.

I could also hunt down in areas where I work and there are more deer, but I would burn up my one and only tag for the year. I have 3 or 4 farms where deer are in the silage bags year after year and farmers want to decrease deer numbers. That is a big part of the problem with our state's management. Pockets of high numbers of deer and few doe permits, then large areas with low numbers of deer.

Riggs-you ain't old!. But it is a lot of work to scout new lands and hang stands. I also do not want to shoot a deer in warm weather where I can not hang it in the garage and do the processing myself. Access to other private lands tightens up when you approach the rut and firearms season.

Art I may not be old but I sure am tired. The idea of scouting out new areas and hanging new stands and possibly having someone move in on your spot after you've done all the work, nope I'm good!

Art I may not be old but I sure am tired. The idea of scouting out new areas and hanging new stands and possibly having someone move in on your spot after you've done all the work, nope I'm good!
I know. That has happened to me so many times.

You can also scout an area, hang stands, and then have one grouse or pheasant hunter completely change things. But that is all part of hunting.