All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ladino and Winter rye

Boone

5 year old buck +
I planted this 1/2 acre on friday. I disced, broadcasted and ran it all over with the tires of my atv. Anyone else plant ladino and winter rye? Curious as to how this field turns out, I have never planted winter rye.

Attachments

• 20160826_150132.jpg
    20160826_150132.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 92
I love WR. In fact I just got in from planting WR. I planted 2 small plots 2 weeks ago with WR along with a mix of Ladino and Alsyke clover. I'll take a pic and post tomorrow. The rye is up and the clover is showing as well. Last night the deer were in there hammering the WR. My deer love WR.

I struggle severely with grasses. WR, and in this case ladino clover is my best defense against the grasses. Plus the deer love it. This was an end of July 2015 planting.2016-7-1 SW Ladino Clover (3).JPG

I think you will be impressed with the rye Boone. I will make a guess that it will find its way into more and more of your plots as you move forward. It is a great cover crop for just about everything, clovers and brassicas.

I planted this 1/2 acre on friday. I disced, broadcasted and ran it all over with the tires of my atv. Anyone else plant ladino and winter rye? Curious as to how this field turns out, I have never planted winter rye.

Where are you located?

Lacrosse, Wi

Both winter rye and clover will do well without any discing as they ground germinate very well. I ussullay wait until mid September for winter rye to let the clover get a head start.Hopefully your discing did not turnover too many latent weed & grass seeds.

Before your next rain, broadcast urea once everything has germinated to give the plot a boost.

What ratio of rye to clover are you planting?

I used about 4 lbs Ladino clover and 30 lbs of winter rye 1/2 acre.

Thank you!

You should like it, I planted about the same thing a couple weeks ago. I wanted a clover plot so next spring I'll mow the rye down and have my clover plot. Good luck!

It would not hurt at all to double that rate on a half acre. Easy button, just get a 56lb bag(1 bushel), and spread the whole thing on a half acre. LC recommended 50 to 80lbs of rye AND 50 to 120lbs of oats per acre in his grain mix, so if not using oats, we would always double the rye to 112lbs per acre. It always worked great for our needs. The 4lbs of clover should be fine.

Here's the pic of the WR and clover planted 2 weeks agoimage.jpeg

I think ladino and most clovers are 5-6 lbs/acre if planning alone.

When I plant winter rye in mid September, I spread 80-100 lbs/acre.

I checked the plots today and was impressed with the germination and growth of the winter rye. I planted one week ago.

Attachments

• 20160902_134335.jpg
    20160902_134335.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 20160902_134340.jpg
    20160902_134340.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 72
I was late season bow hunting along this plot tonight. 13 deer came into the field and were digging through about 10" of snow. This field has had deer in it since mid Sep. Do you guys think I will have to frost seed more clover in March or are the deer basically just digging for rye?

Just me personally, but I'd sleep better if I spread a few more lbs of ladino, alice, or even medium red in March. If you can do that easily. If not, don't sweat it.

I'd say if you put 4lbs ladino on a 1/2 acre you will be just fine. When I plant the rye /ladino clover I use 6lbs ladino per acre and the plots come out nice and thick. Hard to tell from the picture how the ladino germinated, so I guess time will tell, but you put down plenty of clover seed.

We have found rye to be great in any plot mix or alone. Deer love it here. These guys know their stuff. I've followed their advice and our camp is better off for what they've taught me / us.

This is what this plot of rye/ ladino clover looks like. Rye is probably 4ft tall and clover is 1 ft tall. There is a few weeds also. Would you guys mow this plot now?

Attachments

• 20170531_095756.jpg
    20170531_095756.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 61