Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vitalize seed Nitro Boost

• Other manufacturer, please state name

• Total voters

Brian662

5 year old buck +
Curious what you guys use for a summer cover crop/forage/biomass and why. Maybe we can use this thread to compare/contrast different manufacturers and their offerings.

Anything from -
Price/acre
Pros/cons of blends
Planting rates
Innoculants included
Shipping costs

And anything else you'd like to add.

I'm still not sure if in my area of MN/WI if I will even plant a summer cover crop or just let rye and crimson clover carry over from the previous year until it is time to terminate.

IF I plant anything specifically for the warm season it’s jointvetch. Not sure you could grow it up there? If not, give it a year or two with global warming and you will be able to….
It’s pretty expensive and creates a hairy, viney plant so broadcasting a cool season into it never works for me. I either have to terminate it and broadcast or just let it go and know I’m not going to have a cool season plot there. I’m sure you drill bastards could come through in September when the plants lose mass and get a stand of cereal grains to come up. I will say it’s super attractive and nutritious and a reseeding annual so it checks a lot of boxes. And it’s a legume so you can control weeds the exact same way you do in clover.
90% of summer work on my plots revolve around clover maintenance. Plus I have 60 acres of beans and hundreds of acres of surrounding crops so warm season plots are a time and money saver I don’t mind utilizing.

Seed from the local CO-OP has been just as good as the more expensive buck on the bag. I've bought from whitetail institute,tecomate,frigid forage and others that I can't remember the name right now. For deer food plots it's just getting a cheap seed that will germinate reliably and provide the deer some options. Lately it's just been clover and chicory and throw some winter rye in late summer about every 3rd year. Oh yeah, brassicas about every other year also. All broadcast.

IF I plant anything specifically for the warm season it’s jointvetch. Not sure you could grow it up there? If not, give it a year or two with global warming and you will be able to….
It’s pretty expensive and creates a hairy, viney plant so broadcasting a cool season into it never works for me. I either have to terminate it and broadcast or just let it go and know I’m not going to have a cool season plot there. I’m sure you drill bastards could come through in September when the plants lose mass and get a stand of cereal grains to come up. I will say it’s super attractive and nutritious and a reseeding annual so it checks a lot of boxes. And it’s a legume so you can control weeds the exact same way you do in clover.
90% of summer work on my plots revolve around clover maintenance. Plus I have 60 acres of beans and hundreds of acres of surrounding crops so warm season plots are a time and money saver I don’t mind utilizing.
I have found nothing that comes anywhere close to the biomass created by deer vetch

I have found nothing that comes anywhere close to the biomass created by deer vetch
plain ol hairy vetch completely covers the tree cages and seedlings if left alone here

bill

plain ol hairy vetch completely covers the tree cages and seedlings if left alone here

bill
See, it so dang regional. Regular hairy vetch just does ok here.

Well I've not been at this long so my input is from a short time of converting to no til all green 365 days so here is where I am at ...

If you have some large acreage to plant to where you can buy 50 # bags of the seed mix you KNOW you want then mix your own is fine knowing you are getting good fresh seed and the germination tag means something ..I promise.. different seeds have different germination life..

If however you have say... 5 or so acres then buying local from broken bags for me became a losing game as I found I was getting old seed where less than 50# were needed

I have studied the commercial mixed products (not buck on bag stuff) of the better known seed/mix seed suppliers and most have one thing in common and that is they are providing plants that are palatable to deer, provide overhead mass for weed suppression, become palatable at different times through out the summer grow period placing in front of the deer something all the time, also provides cover and the better suppliers are providing coated seeds that add "Starter energy" to the seeds as well as bacteria and general inoculation ..

All this said you do still have to have your soil PH balanced and a way to PROPERLY install the seed to where it has a chance to perform it's best

So in my case I am going to spend $124/AC for 2/3 years to continue to learn what works best for me and my ground and equipment as well to line up, if possible RELIABLE cheaper seed source

This is all fun stuff so enjoy the ride!

Bear

There are some seeds in this that I am not familiar with. What do you think about this as a companion or even a replacement for a summer release type mix?

My main goal is probably feeding deer. How many of these varieties do you think deer would eat in the summer in corn/bean country?

IMG_0380.jpeg
Edited to add: THE $44 PER ACRE DOES NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING. Good catch by @goatman !

Vs. something like this which is Green Cover Summer Release:
IMG_0381.jpeg

Last edited:
I think one has shipping included and the other not. Then figure price per pound.

I think one has shipping included and the other not. Then figure price per pound.
You are correct! I did not catch that. Last year I didn’t pay shipping on the warm season soil builder. It was $48 per acre. I just ran the numbers with shipping and it ended up being $67 per acre.

I guess my main question is still if that would be a good mix, when I google some of the seeds I get some sites saying the deer love them and some sites that say they are “deer resistant”….

You are correct! I did not catch that. Last year I didn’t pay shipping on the warm season soil builder. It was $48 per acre. I just ran the numbers with shipping and it ended up being $67 per acre.

I guess my main question is still if that would be a good mix, when I google some of the seeds I get some sites saying the deer love them and some sites that say they are “deer resistant”….
Those are all good seeds, but some of that stuff will barely grow in that mix. I have never had soybeans grow when mixed in a large mix like that

I would go with the cheaper one.

It's easy to get caught up in the wonder of super diversity and forget to get back to intentionality with what we're doing.

I see lots of stuff in blends that I either know deer won't eat, or have no idea if they'll eat it.

Before anyone buys a blend, or makes a blend, they should understand why what is in there, is in there. If there's no reason for it, it's just taking up space from something else that was going to do something useful. My blends usually consist of a primary blend of 3-5 species, and then I whip up a hot cocktail of low probability / high rate wild cards.

This is where I throw in wild flowers, flax, plantain, japanese millet, carrots, pumpkins, squash, etc. For example, a pound of carrot seed will get you 288,000 seeds for $30. I'll split that between two acres to see what happens. It'd be kinda funny to see even a 1% take rate and have a few thousand carrots coming up in a one acre plot. Carrots never worked, but black eyed susan came in like gang busters. Still waiting to see if purple coneflower ever made it. This will be year 3 after a fall planting, and I've planted them every year since that.

Seed blenders have a hard task ahead of themselves trying to compete in a business where many are just repacking stuff we could get ourselves and without their markup and fancy jargon on social media. I won't take away from those that do provide value though. Some is in the logistics, some in in simplicity for the busy folks, some is in rarity. I like Green cover because I can get 1 and 5 lb bags of pure and individual seeds I can't get elsewhere. I like Albert Lea because they carry certain grains I can't get anywhere else. I like Milborn Seed In South Dakota because I can call in my order when I'm flying by and get everything I want at ag prices. I like Outside pride because they also carry harder to get single seeds when others may be out.

I like to complicate it. Gotta get the biggest punch out of the space I have, with the time I have, and I don't wanna blow any more $$ than necessary.

The soybean in my summer release plots grew great. Not pushing their stuff, just relaying my experience with it. I would go with whatever is going to give you the best bang for your buck, there is plenty in both those blends to feed deer.

It's easy to get caught up in the wonder of super diversity and forget to get back to intentionality with what we're doing.
I do this. Partly because I have a shiny new seeder, partly because I like things to be complicated!!!
Before anyone buys a blend, or makes a blend, they should understand why what is in there, is in there. If there's no reason for it, it's just taking up space from something else that was going to do something useful. My blends usually consist of a primary blend of 3-5 species, and then I whip up a hot cocktail of low probability / high rate wild cards.
This cuts direct to the point. I might have to print this and put it on my Big Binder of Food Plot Stuff, lol!

I do this. Partly because I have a shiny new seeder, partly because I like things to be complicated!!!

This cuts direct to the point. I might have to print this and put it on my Big Binder of Food Plot Stuff, lol!
I get it man. I love running small seeds through the blower seeder, which I did not invent. I've spread an ounce of willowherb seed over two acres. And I even found a few plants came up.

I really bang the flax drum as a small component of any blend. There's a reason for it. It doesn't take any space, it costs practically nothing, it adds a broadleaf for nutrient cycling purposes, it provides a flower for bug purposes, it produces a good tap root to break compaction, it does well in low OM dead soil, and deer will nibble the seed heads late in the season. If I'm ever spreading seed at any time, I'm always throwing a scoop of flax in with it just in case there are gaps, there's flax to fill it in.

That's where I first learned the idea of a subordinate plant and their importance.