Labeling fruit trees

Goblism

Yearling... With promise
I am curious how everyone is labeling trees for identification long term.

I have tried the write on metal tabs with mixed results, seems that they can tear somewhat easily and I use them more as a temporary option.

Lately I have used a roll of aluminum flashing, cutting that into ~1.5"x4" strips, then using a letter/number punch set to enter the name of the variety/rootstock and punching a couple of holes. Then I use the stainless wire from harbor freight as it doesn't seem to get brittle when worked to loosely tie on the tree or stake near the tree. Only concern is this is somewhat time intensive but seems to weather much better than any other route I have tried. Want to share my success with this but also wanting an easier method!

I do something similar to you, but I punch a hole in the top middle of the ID tag and use a zip tie which I put onto the tree cage and I use a cheap engraver to scratch on the nursery, tree ID and year planted.

I use a cheap engraver to write on metal tags I get off amazon. Then I used plastic coated wire to put on the cages. When the cages get removed I put the tag on a small diameter branch. The "write-on" tags I tried were chewed up by the deer or coons and became pretty useless. The method I'm using now is holding up so far.

I keep a notebook with the field drawn out and each tree labeled on the drawing.

Aluminum tags stamped with metal letter punches, loop of copper wire for attachment.

Impress-o-tag metal labels from Amazon for on the tree identity.

I also have a google Map layer created with every apple tree I have with pins and then the name/rootstock. This is key to have for when tags become lost or unreadable for whatever reason. I’ve had deer chew on these soft aluminum tags before and they are unreadable at that point.

Aluminum tags stamped with metal letter punches, loop of copper wire for attachment.
This is exactly what I do. I buy the dog tag sized aluminum labels off Amazon and use a cheap Amazon punch set to punch the name and date into the tag. They should be clear and legible for the life of the tree.

I've used aluminum flashing that comes in rolls at HD, Lowes, and most hardware stores. I use an engraver to write the variety, rootstock it's on, and year planted. I drill 1/4" holes in a stack of taped-together aluminum tags. I wrap tightly with electrical tape. I can drill a dozen or more tags all at once. I use insulated copper wire to tie them on since the copper won't rust or decay in sunlight - and it twists easily, no need for tools. Cheap, durable, and easy.

As PrairieShadow and Silver_yummies said above, I also have a notebook with tree locations and varieties/rootstocks listed, in case tags get damaged by bears here. Silver_yummies went higher-tech with a google map ....... I'm an old dog on paper!!

I keep a document with a plant map, planted dates, who it was purchased from, root stock, bloom times, drop dates, years after planting until first fruit, and estimated yearly production.
Nothing is labeled in the field, but I do wish I would get that done. If I do it though I refuse to go low budget. Nothing short of Arboretum plaque quality for me. Don't ask why, I don't know.

I've got a running word document w/ tree planting information (much like Cat mentioned) going back to 2011 when I started doing it. I also keep a CAD drawing w/ aerial and fruit tree locations and food plot info/layout. So I've got them labeled in the field and on the computer.

I also keep an excel doc with different tabs for location, planting date, nursery of origin, variety of tree planted, and fruit drop times. I also have maps from every year I’ve planted to see how my thought process has evolved. I even have sheets for future wants and work planned up through spring 2025 (so far)…IMG_0071.jpeg

Keep a spreadsheet too. I also cut a piece of trex decking and engrave the name into the piece. Then wrap a piece of rope around the base of the tree. Probably be able to read it 50 years after Im gone.

Tell you what, I have tried so many things that I thought would last a year, and I'm convinced the aluminum tags and a set of punches is the way to go. I tried plastic tags that generally last a couple years, even in the harsh weather of western Norway, only to have them chewed off by bears, deer, raccoons, etc.

I tried cutting Canada Dry ginger ale cans into pieces and embossing the names with a ballpoint pen. Pretty sure they all got ripped of the trees by bears. This also helped to knock the trees back, since they were basically ripped in half by the offending bear.

I feel a bit silly, because I have read about the tag and punch method for years, but I never thought it was necessary. Now I am convinced that it IS necessary for me. I will probably go with a plastic coated wire to hold them on the tree.

Additionally, I will be keeping a map of my orchard on Google Drive, just in case some of the tags drop off I will be able to make new tags for those trees. I will probably also keep an up-to-date paper copy in my habitat folder for the property.

Losing track of the varieties I planted is driving me absolutely nuts.

I use numbered cattle ear tags attached to the cages with heavy duty electric fence wire. That information is then entered into an Excel spreadsheet.

PS - I like the orange-colored ones because they remind me of how good we had it under Trump.

Amekron Impresso aluminum tags. You can use a ballpoint to write the impression on. Easy to do in the field

Amekron Impresso Tags

Amekron Impresso aluminum tags. You can use a ballpoint to write the impression on. Easy to do in the field

Amekron Impresso Tags
This is the tag I use too. I use a golf tee to write on them, they do get chewed on occasionally, porcupines I think, maybe coons???
I attach them to the cage, not sure how I will attach to the tree when fence is removed but I like the insulated copper wire idea.

This is the tag I use too. I use a golf tee to write on them, they do get chewed on occasionally, porcupines I think, maybe coons???
I attach them to the cage, not sure how I will attach to the tree when fence is removed but I like the insulated copper wire idea.

Yep, use good strong wire to attach them. They will flutter in the wind and thin wire can break.

I use the similar emboss a tag

they come in a box of fifty

The wire attachments enclosed are a bit wimpy so I will probably use some stronger wire

bill

I use CalTopo maps to list my trees. I add markers for each tree and then write any notes I want. It's worked well for me. It only gets tricky if there are multiple grafts on a tree (or if it were hard to identify a tree in a mass planting).

Orchard map, orchard map, orchard map.
I've got tens, if not hundreds, of trees that I've lost IDs on, and will probably never be able to sort them out for a definitive ID.
I've had deer eat Impress-O tags and tags made from strips cut from aluminum cans. Flopping in the wind will soon break those flimsy little wires that come with the Impress-O tags... found one last summer, following a big wind event, 100 yards from the tree it blew out of.

I ran up on an old set of 4-ft aluminum Venetian blinds - baked-on enamel finish, brown on one side, white on the other. I cut them up into 3" pieces, write the name in pencil on the white side, scribe it into the paint on the brown side with a nail. Then, I either tack the tag to the tree (brown side out) with a short aluminum nail or punch a hole and hang with aluminum wire, above browse height, if possible .. but hanging tags will eventually wear through if they flop around in the breeze. Also... I bury a second tag at the base of the tree, on the north side, so that if the initial tag disappears, I can scratch around and find the 'backup'.