KS Farms Mfg - Planters

I just sent you a private message. I looked at the web page again and the ones they have pictured do not have any coulters in front and I think you would need them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They build them any way you want them. The standard units no not come with HD springs and no till coulters. The one I had them price was setup “fully loaded” for no till. Fertilizer is the only other consideration...would still need to add liquid fertilizer or figure out that end of it for planting corn.

I think the drill would do about everything better, except traditional corn. Obviously, the price point on a planter is attractive. I've never tried sunflowers with the GP drill. Does awesome milo plots.

As far a renovating the CRP, I wish there was money. I had a 60 acre CRP tree planting expire 2 years ago, can't get it re enrolled do to being at the cap nationwide.

I think the drill would do about everything better, except traditional corn. Obviously, the price point on a planter is attractive. I've never tried sunflowers with the GP drill. Does awesome milo plots.

As far a renovating the CRP, I wish there was money. I had a 60 acre CRP tree planting expire 2 years ago, can't get it re enrolled do to being at the cap nationwide.
I think they were still enrolling in my county in Missouri this year. Not sure how everything going on right now will affect things going forward, but I’m fortunate to be in a county that gets the most CRP funds (by far I believe) of any county in the state. That being said I’ve still got 4 years before I can re enroll anyway so who knows what will be going on with the program at that point. It lays pretty well to farm so worst case I’ll pull it out after the contract expires and convert it back. Hopefully that’s not the case.

I think they were still enrolling in my county in Missouri this year. Not sure how everything going on right now will affect things going forward, but I’m fortunate to be in a county that gets the most CRP funds (by far I believe) of any county in the state. That being said I’ve still got 4 years before I can re enroll anyway so who knows what will be going on with the program at that point. It lays pretty well to farm so worst case I’ll pull it out after the contract expires and convert it back. Hopefully that’s not the case.

The nation is at the cap for most programs. They do have money for certain things, like pollinator, and a few other certain projects.

The nation is at the cap for most programs. They do have money for certain things, like pollinator, and a few other certain projects.
Yeah we have that program and a grouse program going along with a couple others. I’m a long way from digging too deep into what’s available...4 years seems like an eon for government funds appropriation these days.

I never counted on the Govt. to pay my way when I bought the farm with the existing contract, but I didn't realize how much I'd miss the $6000!

m
I never counted on the Govt. to pay my way when I bought the farm with the existing contract, but I didn't realize how much I'd miss the $6000!
I hear you. I’ve got 125 acres worth of contracts. I don’t necessarily need the payment but it pays for a nice bit of equipment/expenses each year. I could do better having it farmed right now, but if CRP money disappears I hate to think of what’s going to happen to crop (and land) prices when that ground goes back into production.

Here are my two cents and I have planted a lot of corn for plots (sometimes as much as 200 acres in a year), planted with the JD 7000 as a true JD built planter, old Allis Chalmers no till planters as built by AC and as a pull behind unit, with not till drills, with my little Flex 77 three point unit, and probably a few other planters I have forgotten.

I looked on line again and the “drivemission” is a little vague, but I will bite on that one. It probably works. However, Unless you have GREAT soil that is NOT like a lot of my river bottom soil that has a fair amount of clay in it I will be shocked if it truly plants as a no till into old CRP land. I will say please keep me posted because if it does truly work I would buy one and sell my 5 row flex 77. Those 3 point cut down planters are really really really really really handy for my farms. I plant a lot of 2-3 acre food plots with corn that are just too small to plant with a big planter. Then I plant the big fields with the big planter. If I could avoid tilling or disking the 15-20 acres of small plot corn I plant every year it would save me a lot of time.

How do you fertilize your corn plots? My GP drill plants corn fine. It's not production corn, and I usually just do corn mixed with beans to put cover in my bean plots so the bucks just can't stay back in the woods and see across the whole plot. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

You didn’t hijack my thread, but you did help make my point. Mixing in a little corn seed to add to beans is one thing. Trying to drill in production corn that gets fertilized and sprayed is another animal. I just don’t like they way they plant corn.

How many acres did you have in CRP?

How many acres did you have in CRP?

I had a 8.3 acre field of NWSG that I let expire because it was getting serecia in it bad, I wanted to put roundup ready corn/beans in it a few years to clean it up. I could have re enrolled when it expired. I also have a 60+ acre tree planting. It expired 2 years ago, and I can't get it back in. Not much else you can do with a tree planting. It's some of the best cover on the farm, and one reason I bought the place. I've had a farmer offer to rip it out with his dozer and rent it, no way.

I had a 8.3 acre field of NWSG that I let expire because it was getting serecia in it bad, I wanted to put roundup ready corn/beans in it a few years to clean it up. I could have re enrolled when it expired. I also have a 60+ acre tree planting. It expired 2 years ago, and I can't get it back in. Not much else you can do with a tree planting. It's some of the best cover on the farm, and one reason I bought the place. I've had a farmer offer to rip it out with his dozer and rent it, no way.
If there’s any money for the tree program when I go to re enroll, I’ve got about 20 acres I’d love to enroll in it. To your point though, once you commit to the tree direction it’s hard to go back. At this point most all of mine could be concerted back to production after pulling a few cedars doing a little skid steer work.

If there’s any money for the tree program when I go to re enroll, I’ve got about 20 acres I’d love to enroll in it. To your point though, once you commit to the tree direction it’s hard to go back. At this point most all of mine could be concerted back to production after pulling a few cedars doing a little skid steer work.

True. And quite honestly, if my tree planting would have went well, it would be declining deer habitat now. The deer density was/is high enough when they planted the trees, that they were browsed heavily. Many oaks look like shrubs or were all together killed. I have patches of certain trees that weren't as desirable to the deer that are 30' tall, and other areas that didn't survive and is thick with weeds and cover. I have quite a few cedars in it, as well. I love the cedars, but don't want them taking over the whole area, so I go around cutting some down, occasionally.

I had Dave from KS Farms build me a custom 3 row planter for the front of my tracked skidsteer (plant driving forward), Kinze pusher units with no till coulters. His operation is top notch and products are top of the line. I drove from northern WI to his farm in Kansas to pick up my planter and see his equipment and operation. He's as honest as they come and a great guy. I had several other guys much closer to me that said they could build the same planter, but after seeing his work I knew he was the right guy for a custom build. My planter works excellent and I would highly recommend him.

I had Dave from KS Farms build me a custom 3 row planter for the front of my tracked skidsteer (plant driving forward), Kinze pusher units with no till coulters. His operation is top notch and products are top of the line. I drove from northern WI to his farm in Kansas to pick up my planter and see his equipment and operation. He's as honest as they come and a great guy. I had several other guys much closer to me that said they could build the same planter, but after seeing his work I knew he was the right guy for a custom build. My planter works excellent and I would highly recommend him.
Thank you for your input. I am leaning this direction but have a couple other builders I’m considering. Who else did you consider in the decision making process? How well are you able to no-till with your planter? Or do you generally still work the soil some before planting? Thank you.

Thank you for your input. I am leaning this direction but have a couple other builders I’m considering. Who else did you consider in the decision making process? How well are you able to no-till with your planter? Or do you generally still work the soil some before planting? Thank you.
RDH Outdoors was one, and I purchased a 3 row 71 flex planter from them several years ago, refurbished unit. It worked fine and I have nothing negative to say about RDH. I also ran the design/idea by a local fabricator, but couldn't get a clear "this will work for sure" out of him. Dave at KS Farms was able to tell me exactly how the unit I wanted should be built and there was no question about whether it would work or not. My planter no tills just fine into any soil type, it's a heavy planter that was built to last.

Dukslayr please keep us posted. I have a couple of acres of food plots now and I may expand so I'm looking into 2 or 3 row planters to plant either corn or soybeans. I could till it up first like you mention but it would be great to have something that is really no-till.

Have you looked at https://rdhoutdoors.com/? They show versions with No-Till Coulters installed as well. Looks like they build planters very similar to KS Farms.

Dukslayr please keep us posted. I have a couple of acres of food plots now and I may expand so I'm looking into 2 or 3 row planters to plant either corn or soybeans. I could till it up first like you mention but it would be great to have something that is really no-till.

Have you looked at https://rdhoutdoors.com/? They show versions with No-Till Coulters installed as well. Looks like they build planters very similar to KS Farms.

I have looked at their planters (online, not in person) and they are somewhat similar but with some differences. From everything I have seen or heard they build good planters as well. I don’t believe they routinely build 4 row planters either of my memory serves me correctly. My plan is to go with a 4 row.

For more ideas look at Pequea Planters out of Gap, PA

Amish rebuilding used planters and while I have not bought from them I have seen their work once and heard good things.

S&S Equipment in Lancaster, KY also builds and modifies planters for plot purposes. My brother bought one from them several years ago. Works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&S Equipment in Lancaster, KY also builds and modifies planters for plot purposes. My brother bought one from them several years ago. Works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have been on the list. As I understand it, outside of a minor difference or two, they are building nice planters very similar to the KS Mfg units. I believe they are also the same price or very close