June apples are are ripe and falling

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I've posted pictures of these in past years but thought some of the new members might be excited to see the first ripe apples of 2018.

This apple is way too tart for my taste, but my son likes them and gobbles them up. The apple is called Striped June (aka Margret). Probably the most DR apple I grow. Seems to be immune to everything. Apple came from Big Horse a few years ago.

ybQ5BNgh.jpg

UguVJv4h.jpg

sriBad5h.jpg

JvWBEVHh.jpg

Nice, you don't happen to have a GRIN number for it do you? If it is the most DR apple you have, it would be a good early season addition for me. I couldn't seem to find it on GRIN by name.

Thanks,

Jack

I think I might have found it under another name. Does this look like the same apple? PI 123730

Thanks,

Jack

I think I might have found it under another name. Does this look like the same apple? PI 123730

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, I've never used GRIN and don't know how to use it. I tried looking this morning and every link I would click on was broken. If you can instruct me on how to look with a link, I would be happy to look at it.

New members and old one alike should like this thread! Much Thanks, I'm six weeks out waiting on Pristine.

New members and old one alike should like this thread! Much Thanks, I'm six weeks out waiting on Pristine.

Thanks. This apple is sort of a novelty because of how early it ripens. I grow another early apple called Bevan's Favorite, which is a few weeks later in ripening that I much prefer over this one for fresh eating. The disease resistance is also excellent on that one.

Jack, I've never used GRIN and don't know how to use it. I tried looking this morning and every link I would click on was broken. If you can instruct me on how to look with a link, I would be happy to look at it.

Here is the link to the description on GRIN: https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1132331

I'm not sure if it is the same or not but it looks close. Funny how many of the variety common names have overlap.

Thanks,

Jack

Here is the link to the description on GRIN: https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1132331

I'm not sure if it is the same or not but it looks close. Funny how many of the variety common names have overlap.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't think there is any way that could be the same apple. That GRIN description said very susceptible to fireblight. Striped June is the closest thing I have ever seen to an immune to fireblight apple. However, per the Big Horse description below, it did come from England like that other apple.

http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/Margaret/

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. It looks like they sell scion wood. I'll have to check back with them closer to scion time.

Enjoying this thread.
I've got three different "orchards" on my property. One for cider apples, one for late hangers and the third I've started grafting over to summer apples. Looks like I found a perfect match to add to the summer orchard. Thanks for the tip!

I've posted pictures of these in past years but thought some of the new members might be excited to see the first ripe apples of 2018.

This apple is way too tart for my taste, but my son likes them and gobbles them up. The apple is called Striped June (aka Margret). Probably the most DR apple I grow. Seems to be immune to everything. Apple came from Big Horse a few years ago.

ybQ5BNgh.jpg

UguVJv4h.jpg

sriBad5h.jpg

JvWBEVHh.jpg
Native.....how do your summer apples fit into your overall plan? I target the fall and the later the better for my apples/crabs. Do you think having summer apples helps you hold more deer or at least bring more deer to your property.....later during hunting season? As much as I would love to provide for the deer year round, I lack the depth of cover to hold the deer I would want to support on a year round basis (mature bucks). As such my practices instead focus on supplying food for does during the rut (fall/winter) times to thus use the does as a means to bring the bucks to me. I am fine with the neighboring farms full of soybeans feeding the does in the summer time. My only thought/flaw with that plan would be if you think a different food source may help put those mature bucks on my place in the off-season and thus maybe, just maybe become a little more frequent during hunting season.

Native.....how do your summer apples fit into your overall plan? I target the fall and the later the better for my apples/crabs. Do you think having summer apples helps you hold more deer or at least bring more deer to your property.....later during hunting season? As much as I would love to provide for the deer year round, I lack the depth of cover to hold the deer I would want to support on a year round basis (mature bucks). As such my practices instead focus on supplying food for does during the rut (fall/winter) times to thus use the does as a means to bring the bucks to me. I am fine with the neighboring farms full of soybeans feeding the does in the summer time. My only thought/flaw with that plan would be if you think a different food source may help put those mature bucks on my place in the off-season and thus maybe, just maybe become a little more frequent during hunting season.

Jay, I doubt that summer apples are an important part of the habitat puzzle, but deer do love apples at all times of the year. Some deer are homebodies and don't roam around much, so perhaps having a variety of food at different times could help them choose where their home will be. I also believe that any deer travel we can create on our property at any time of the year could help to bring in a deer we would want to shoot in the fall.

Right now I have 2 big bucks using my place a lot. When I get pictures of them they are doing one thing - eating...and eating a massive amount of different foods that my place provides. I think the familiarity that develops from being at the place now will make them also want to be here during hunting season, because they see it as their home.
And, I just love growing all kinds of fruit and nuts (bet no one noticed :emoji_relaxed:) and enjoy eating the different stuff myself. So, even if my summer apples don't help my deer hunting in the fall, they bring great joy to me. Like you, a high percentage of my fruit trees are geared toward fall hunting season drop, but I also like the summer fruit to add some diversity and provide a few treats.

And finally - When the big one hits someday............I won't starve during the summer....:emoji_laughing:

Take Care

Jay, I doubt that summer apples are an important part of the habitat puzzle, but deer do love apples at all times of the year. Some deer are homebodies and don't roam around much, so perhaps having a variety of food at different times could help them choose where their home will be. I also believe that any deer travel we can create on our property at any time of the year could help to bring in a deer we would want to shoot in the fall.

Right now I have 2 big bucks using my place a lot. When I get pictures of them they are doing one thing - eating...and eating a massive amount of different foods that my place provides. I think the familiarity that develops from being at the place now will make them also want to be here during hunting season, because they see it as their home.
And, I just love growing all kinds of fruit and nuts (bet no one noticed :emoji_relaxed:) and enjoy eating the different stuff myself. So, even if my summer apples don't help my deer hunting in the fall, they bring great joy to me. Like you, a high percentage of my fruit trees are geared toward fall hunting season drop, but I also like the summer fruit to add some diversity and provide a few treats.

And finally - When the big one hits someday............I won't starve during the summer....:emoji_laughing:

Take Care
That all makes pretty good sense. I was just seeing what you have done and was reflecting back on my own place and was trying to see if I was missing something was all. And yes, we have all noticed that you love growing a myriad of fruit and nut trees. If/when I decide I have enough fruit and nut trees for the fall/winter.....maybe I will expand into more summertime choices as well.....but I got a ways to go yet.

That all makes pretty good sense. I was just seeing what you have done and was reflecting back on my own place and was trying to see if I was missing something was all. And yes, we have all noticed that you love growing a myriad of fruit and nut trees. If/when I decide I have enough fruit and nut trees for the fall/winter.....maybe I will expand into more summertime choices as well.....but I got a ways to go yet.

You are doing it the right way - focusing on the fall/winter first. I also agree with you thoughts on letting the local farmers feed the deer in the summer. That is starting to happen for me now that my neighbor has gone to beans in his big fields that were fescue before. I am already seeing on my cameras the deer just meandering back and forth from his beans to my plots. I really like the extra free nutrition for the herd.

I don't think there is any way that could be the same apple. That GRIN description said very susceptible to fireblight. Striped June is the closest thing I have ever seen to an immune to fireblight apple. However, per the Big Horse description below, it did come from England like that other apple.

http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/Margaret/
I havent found some of the their descriptors to be very accurate, or maybe it is highly dependent on the growing location. I have seen the FB ratings on some that are no where close to what I have seen them reported by others.

You are doing it the right way - focusing on the fall/winter first. I also agree with you thoughts on letting the local farmers feed the deer in the summer. That is starting to happen for me now that my neighbor has gone to beans in his big fields that were fescue before. I am already seeing on my cameras the deer just meandering back and forth from his beans to my plots. I really like the extra free nutrition for the herd.
I treat bean fields like 100 acre summer plots! The deer here have virtually unlimited access to far more soybeans than they could ever eat. As such I never saw the need to plant a summer food source. I do plant beans, but my intent when I do is for them to hold grain and carry over into fall and winter.....and they do. The deer here go hungry in the summer time....it's their own damn fault!

I treat bean fields like 100 acre summer plots! The deer here have virtually unlimited access to far more soybeans than they could ever eat. As such I never saw the need to plant a summer food source. I do plant beans, but my intent when I do is for them to hold grain and carry over into fall and winter.....and they do. The deer here go hungry in the summer time....it's their own damn fault!

J-bird,

I'm a bit further south where summer is more of a major stress period than further north. I'm not in ag country. There are is a lot of pasture around my place but the only row crops are 3+ miles away. Since I've been attempting QDM on my place, I've been planting soybeans to cover summer nutrition. Something you don't really need since it is a part of the puzzle you already have filled by your location.

I have run into a number of issues. First, between weed competition and browse pressure, I need to plant 7 acres of RR forage beans to get them to canopy. I do add a little RR corn for vertical cover. The amount can type of bean (forage vs ag) can vary as my populations wax and wane. When we thinned our pines and did a controlled burn, marestail came up everywhere in the pines and got into my fields. Gly is no match for it. I've actually taken a year off soybeans to try to get the marestail under control. I hit it with 24d Amine and then planted a smother crop of buckwheat this year. Time will tell if I can go back to RR or if I need to look at Bayer's crop/herbicide combination. Costs, time, and effort keep going up and I'm getting less capable each year as I age.

So, for those of us where the summer stress period is a factor and are not fortunately to have nearby ag operations to cover summer, I'm looking to permaculture mast to help fill the long-term void. I have native persimmons so grafting them to varieties that drop from summer through winter is a low cost long-term play for me. Having finally gotten to apples as part of my permaculture project, I hope to do the same. I'm looking at the most disease resistant lowest maintenance apples I can find because my objective is to reduce my long-term cost and effort required.

Thanks,

Jack