All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Co. WI. Elk

The Jackson Co wolfpacks will be fat and happy!

I can see an elk or two wandering southeast into meadow valley and the refuge over time.

I would agree bueller. This may be the DNR's intention, even though they say they wish to keep them contained within the pre-designated area for agricultural damage control purposes. I think much of the forested region of extreme NE Monroe, all of northern Juneau Co above Hwy 21, and the SW 1/3 of Wood Co(basically the Central Forest Zone parts) all have habitat that is just as good as Jackson Co as far as being possible "elk range". The trick will be to keep them out of the surrounding ag areas of the Central Farmland Zone.

"I swear I thought it was Da' Turdy Pointer!"

That whole are area looks pretty much the same, Black River State Forest, Jackson County Forest, Wood County Forest, multiple wildlife areas.

At least several more than the WI DNR will find out about

I think they are all collared.

That whole are area looks pretty much the same, Black River State Forest, Jackson County Forest, Wood County Forest, multiple wildlife areas.
I think so too, but apparently the WI DNR disagrees....
elk.jpg

They aren't going to list any areas where ag(be that regular farms or cranberry marshes) would be potentially impacted by elk reintroduction as being suitable elk habitat, no matter how good the habitat is. The repercussions would be huge from the farmers, the farmers around the Jackson Co release sight are already bi#%hing to high heaven about the whole thing and I heard some were already getting their ducks in a row to file for damage claims before the release was even official. There are already cranberry bogs in the release area, but the further south and east you go, they get more numerous and larger scale from Tomah to the Wisconsin River north of Hwy 21. No way the DNR would call that "suitable elk habitat" even if it were the best location in the state.

I was wondering when they were gonna let them go. I think it's awesome, I hope it works out! I guess the wolves are thick though.

Even though I would like to see it work out, I think with the abundance of wolves and the pressure from the already complaining farmers, it may be destined to fail in the end and end up being a huge waste of resources and money. :(

farmers have egos and they like to brag about cool stuff on their land.
Some people are glass half full.....

farmers have egos and they like to brag about cool stuff on their land.
Some people are glass half full.....
Yup, but they won't balk at taking that fat crop damage paycheck. :rolleyes: And the worst part is that they will not have to allow public access for taking the money in this situation, because there is no open season on the animals causing the damages.

We have a long way to get there.

We may never get there, and that is fine as well, but I'm betting we don't have long before those damage abatement checks start getting cashed.

Even though I would like to see it work out, I think with the abundance of wolves and the pressure from the already complaining farmers, it may be destined to fail in the end and end up being a huge waste of resources and money. :(
I agree 100%. Even if there was no ag damage or pushback from the farmers I don't see how this will succeed with the current and future wolf population. No different then Clam Lake. Very expensive wolf food.

This is my opinion on the elk in Wisconsin. The DNR always said that wolves would not effect deer or elk populations. So far the Clam Lake herd population has been severely restricted as have the deer in that area. They get a brainstorm to try a new area but this time they are going to add new elk. Each year so that they can build numbers faster to keep up with the wolf kills. In 5 years when all the transplant elk from Kentucky are here in Wisconsin the same thing will happen as it did in Clam Lake. The herd will not increase any more due to the wolves if the wolf numbers are not controlled.