All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this hail damage?

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
We have had lots of rain and plenty of severe weather. 2 or so weeks ago my fruit was beautiful. Now lots looks like this.
8a5bb7d424ed8be5e9dce759501c6bd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It sure looks like hail to me. Are you seeing this on most apples on the outer canopy and less of this in the interior? I had very small hail hit my orchard this season with some loss but not extensive enough so that won't get a good crop.

It sure looks like hail to me. Are you seeing this on most apples on the outer canopy and less of this in the interior? I had very small hail hit my orchard this season with some loss but not extensive enough so that won't get a good crop.

Yeah, pretty much anything exposed had these signs on the tops of fruit. I was up 2 weeks ago and the fruit was almost flawless on many trees.

I know last night they were calling for 1/2" hail but i doesn't sound like there was hail last night according to my grandpa. I was digging through trail camera pics and i had a tree go down in front of one of my trees on July 8 so they must have had some violent weather.

Either way i'm glad this is a hobby for me. Gotta be devastating if you are growing for a living. In the spring i pray for no late frost. During summer, pray for rain, and i'll add hail to the list. Gotta be a tough business, it's always something.

Unless it was that hail that had lots of bumps on it as opposed the smooth round type, I am not so sure it was hail. Either that or the hail was driven by some very strong wind. Those are pretty small dimples.

Same fruit 2 weeks earlier. This is pristine it was like this on many (all) varieties.
c82e7ba209df7b8a57fd5751ba8205dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can't tell. In my experience a good hail storm could rip leaves to shreds. See any leaf damage?

We had pea sized hail with a wicked wind from the west here in Waushara county on July 6th. Storm was mostly south of us so could have hit you too. I've only got 4 apples on one tree, so can't really compare damage.

Side Note, Pristine is AWESOME! 3 apples for only for ever and ever? Pristine, PixieCrunch, Honeycrisp. My Pristine tree is taking the year off after big crop last year.

I think a random hail storm in WI or MI is completely diff than what you guys experience in KS and the like.

Side Note, Pristine is AWESOME! 3 apples for only for ever and ever? Pristine, PixieCrunch, Honeycrisp. My Pristine tree is taking the year off after big crop last year.

Yeah, I am a big fan of Pristine. Very yummy early apple with good disease resistance. The only challenge I have with it, is it doesn't seem very vigorous. Mine have been really slow to grow on both M111 and B118.

Here is what hail damage looks like to young trees. We got about 5-10 mins of pea to marble sized hail on Monday afternoon driven by 60 mph+ winds. I have no fruit to speak of this year so cant post any pictures of that damage. Lots of small bark splits, broke the top 2-3" off most of the central leaders and removed about 20 - 30% of the leaves. Luckily it only hit one of the nursery spots!

DSCN0726.JPG DSCN0729.JPG DSCN0730.JPG

Yeah, I am a big fan of Pristine. Very yummy early apple with good disease resistance. The only challenge I have with it, is it doesn't seem very vigorous. Mine have been really slow to grow on both M111 and B118.

I have a couple of apples on a B9 Pristine that I am hopefully going to get to sample this year. Probably pick one next week. They are starting to get a nice blush on the sun side. I have had the same results though in terms of lack of vigor in the trees.

Man ya'll get some sick storms out that way!

Curious on the Pristine. I have not planted one because I've read about licorice flavors. Do you find that Pristine
have licorice flavors? Some years? Most years?

So i'm usually very good about taking pictures but this trip we had 4 little kids under 6 years old so needless to say we had our hands full. I really didn't get much time to do any close looks. But, I did snap 2 pictures with my Canon 5D MK2 and they are very high resolution, this is a centennial crab. I can't see any of the splintered wood, but the leaves do look like a few got hit by a weed whacker. Also 2 jap beetles if you look really close.

I
inMZ4w8pM9QZAASZxCMuOYqYU3QTNsg-mgiyno17t5yyPs9PO56N-R_o2ZIRnukgE6sfD_fKfI7-apLMv2wbcP9_s0Hvhzvx-NsvBKPEbzFi4dIFIl9BZDAErB7jlIxU-PxPyKZCLioREZriJIaq3S7vbrK3S6JtJ7LQ-th1m7sDVbTyPQihVPkfMWjt3Mndk-3W83cE4ihkcA3hjcDIzeixu_sjD0HYjFDTKAHCfF_947d-9_5VBAfTCfBtkF3_nl0Wh978jnA85F9YPakUNYVfvYs_bxVhiX47fVwvY2MH2HlCE_hJjiNhcKAtkBbc3CmnA0hs-hIsgTpDWosTmSfNf1D89pYd9vrZM8VecRj11Ghr13-efU2pqRQggHjgQX0WGYeOFfx0GVqmhJP-yiNS7YIl6URYnC8cRsrzt_dXayCZVDhfSpxKsmSJHIj7XlMeHVg--nmxh0zXTT5_QCtCwL59mkIxU95aF50VQOHZ7JWr3Y6bv3Afjp0ZyjwFh1WPNMXD7Bh_e0nd6s6LsttNNFhJPcwfiWbBYm4wqqXC7uSSCuqYPdVqhQFKpegdRbtQ1Vh9X9SNs-FLIfS-ePKtWVhVn1Y5qjWEQOOgP_YCBc381LMuR06xZmzB420Gusn5VCs9-V9EpkKsiKyng0jput24m74SXrpISiPWiSOthjY=w1388-h917-no

phRqmYMotKOo2D8LeTsZFc778EIDxXhMlBYmKCk03D76wBF0GEmsDTCb35ZFTWOQI28LSkWCJKlAW2OrcoSdlPkoWY3m0_K7LYvRmThLEbkv17b6O4JpXka4MjfPORqO4L7hEXTNf28b-_gMn7zSZgHQV20kINUGZw2Qnz0wOc3RAh9X2XY_S6bdD7BzdnZC7DM2BRhGb7m4aJg7ERkRXTtIakXowj2sySAb4vHv6T3fyBpmGMR0cZZC5UYbIvKnKvV8AtF2WCk9TgsrguwjT3WJEYoqbj3ror3xbOoMW8CeBYf8idLQQxYYsC3Jm-seOq0a5GnVsWVBLku8yauJRo-fUERAitMndUv4wbKP5YCkiK0m3kynF98HO_gEligs2-_RAYjdfHniNKlt4zapHC7oSxdr3TrlJntbD0wSpzmgS7zndOQa2lpbpnn5ofQ60O-FLKSCv4SKSe-v8tM-wmeZttCKjDBfabfkXcmlt9E5ulJUxBM3Vw3MBMN6FEgF5cFfe7UBnBw8xtUrO-CN7OzdkXQdRUkf0P_ASyYkALuxfKzogsdmZV8pjGN8wIscfO6IVKlS5M_bae4Tl69E3T-BpmdTHJMn7y6SzAj3ZnTJ32sm6At25VLwymqe4shnrm3dn2D_74UKUe_1EqmwTbubwzvjWAnddt1i50dJ_IsM2kQ=w1682-h834-no

My guess would be hail damage.

Curious on the Pristine. I have not planted one because I've read about licorice flavors. Do you find that Pristine
have licorice flavors? Some years? Most years?

I've heard sweet 16 tastes like licorice, but never heard that about pristine.

No licorice in Pristine..just pure sweet apple! 3 girls with very discriminating tastes house hunt down the Pristines' and by way of conversation on the "earlies" say top-work over the Williams Pride, the mealy, cardboard-like thing..virtually inedible for them.

Sorry for the confusion. I see I mixed up Pristine and Priscilla. Priscilla is supposed to have licorice flavor. Looking at my orchard map, I have a couple Pristine that I bench grafted last year.

Going through some trail cam pics. Is this hail?
jci3TX8JTm2oXgiSltXgr8DyXQt0GERXsfVC5Y7uf1fa_qVLmWyDeuJlF7dcnTCReLRJHRIrMkTX-3QTpbi9lsV6ehURdJrGaHQwBGS0hNasbJspBMZh6e4sPIKmXgYgO_jKwTvE71w7WbMvzly6mpux4XCQT5j6090LIBwt80VPGWMdXc_AqFaO_guefxCJ6sE6TtP38pOzKVhZOmet8YTQNCNfYFMd7MXlYFaPOCxZmdhHIKOuq5WEP6r-SF2WRioyDdftF8v-EWoY-UTtSfiEjLjv83xNTMAPSAQeE3bikDm7APH6alQbEbSeqUg-eoioliYBEnFxuH30SrZ-HNlzAeN01MwpMqbiddaafScoMb_aDfcRwxPHd67V_nTGrau_RBeCtyjtszIyAphKZAhbjDz3kBSI64jKb-2I0RBpEpe0ewy1aosame2FvdthzplEjX3o7V4hE916cuEKjnlRVwnEj9-b7u_H5jf_xqo8S4btcHmCRTurCHkA-NTv2URKWlvaS4fdRo-RFDyS7CR1epGyvNt4yeSPi1UdyTAiWnDJ9z79Ld6q5tGE5SBh_DweKZeaNvzZFtVYQnWiQ3JrvQx1-Zo2L1U4qsMevCs_sFajJdYhNkuva_bG9Fh917pj3mRhN8wKea8rxwoqkFerzGNtkF5GnGmMgcjfT-Vw5Xo=w1139-h854-no