Is this fawn going to make it?

I change my mind, it made a nice winter coat. Momma looks like she should be making good milk.

I change my mind, it made a nice winter coat. Momma looks like she should be making good milk.

I think he's got a good chance now, I was not so sure in November.

This winter has been tame for MN!

Kirt-do you think his mom is a yearling?

The only young fawn I have seen in the fall had a very small doe for his mom. I do not feel this reflects a problem from poor buck/doe ratios.

When and adult doe has a very young fawn, that might ve an indication fo a problem.

I do see high numbers of does in some lottery areas.

It sure would be neat to somehow mark that deer so if it survies you could continue watching it for the coming years knowing which deer it was.

I don't think it is a yearling doe, the mom is actually decent size. The boys and I have all seen the fawn, we think it's a little button buck. No confirmation yet,:)maybe he will be a giant someday??

Reminds me of the kids book, "The little engine that could".... I think I can... I think I can....:) That fawn is a great learning tool. Like others have stated, it would be cool to mark it some how and follow it's life.

We are brainstorming on that exact scenario. How could we keep track of him or her? The coat is a little lighter brown, but that might change?

One thing we will do, is keep cameras in that area year round and supplement feed.

We are brainstorming on that exact scenario. How could we keep track of him or her? The coat is a little lighter brown, but that might change?

If indeed it is a buck fawn the problem is come spring or in this case early summer mom will chase him off when she is ready to birth. You may not see him come summer time. Have your neighbors watching for a dwarf spike buck on their trailcams.

Gosh yeah that is true

Might be one of those yearlings with 3 inch spikes. And some hunters will say to shoot it because of poor genetics. It would probably be a good one to show that a small 1 yo spike can be a nice 8 pt as a 2 yo.

Paintball gun? :D

Or

For the 40 year old and older generation on here, might remember Marlin Perkins Wild Kingdom. They used to dart and collar everything. Well Jim did most of it--risking his life and Marlin would often watch in the helicopter. LOL

Looks as if he/she's doing real good. Chances get better every day now.

I saw a little dinker on my trail cam the other day and thought of this thread. Any more sightings of the little guy?

We had one more picture of the fawn in February. He must have made it.

It really helped that we had very little snow and I never saw one coyote all year while hunting or on camera on that property.