Is this fawn going to make it?

Look at that pic again and look at all the food surrounding that fawn. According to the date, it's nearly Dec and there is still all those beans left. No, they won't make it until spring, but there still being that many bean pods left at that date tells me the area isn't in bad shape for winter food (browse, farm crops, food plots or a combo of them). Over winter food is a great equalizer in the north, more so than temps and snow depths, IME. That fawn has cream of the crop eating at least well into Dec (sure, that's an educated guess, but odds are that's true or those beans would be completely stripped), possibly into Jan. With that in mind and assuming a normal spring, I believe it's at a higher risk of being taken out by predators in the snow (because of size, would be relatively easy pickings in deeper snow) than not being able to survive winter. Go into Dec fat and sassy and they can withstand a bad Jan, Feb and March soooooooooo much easier.

Every study and deer farmer I've talked to says they can cycle numerous times, if the previous fails to catch for any reason.

As far as the timing of shedding goes, that's supposed to and I believe it is impacted by a bunch of stuff. Physical health is reported to be a big one, and I agree with it. If they are hurting, they produce less testosterone. That drop than sets off a chain reaction that cues antler shedding early. On the flip side, when they are in great condition (not injured or sick, exiting rut without it being overly taxing on them and not feeling serious bumps and bruises from past years), their testosterone stays higher for longer and antler shedding is delayed.

That said, it also seems that some physiological differences possessed by individual bucks play a role. Some individuals just seem to hang on longer every year, while others drop earlier, despite both appearing to be in good shape.

I hauled a chapter members sons first deer back to camp in my truck for them this year and when they gutted the doe the fetus was already the size of a mature cottontail. November 10 ish? I should have taken some pics but stayed in the moment as I was truly excited for the 16 year old young man.

Steve-- the beans left are about 1.75 acres and they were good beans(50 bu) of so. Great soils on that food plot

I think he'll havd food until Jan/feb or so, the deer are really in there!!

Ironically I have not seen a coyote on that farm while hunting of on camera?? Which is good!!

BW, what do you think your buck/doe ratio is? Poor little thing does not have a prayer this winter imo.

BW, what do you think your buck/doe ratio is? Poor little thing does not have a prayer this winter imo.

Buck to doe ratio is not good. This is on a 40 that borders a large oak timber. Biggest block of timber in our county-800 acres total. Full of does and the neighbors do not shoot many if any??

I have all the food so they hang on my end of the woods.

We take 2 or 3 does most years but the ratio is out of whack. We try to pass all bucks but 3 year olds....

Neighbors have shot all the nicer bucks we had on camera.

It's a frustrating situation. I have tried to buy more with no luck. It's typical story in MN ( although most guys are not seeing that many does).

I know about the does, Kirt. I saw one adult doe during hunting season. Count yourself lucky.

I know about the does, Kirt. I saw one adult doe during hunting season. Count yourself lucky.

That's just crazy?

Even though we have a lot of deer on this 40. Our county is not overrun with deer.

Pockets of good deer numbers exist. This is a wintering area as well so I we still hold off a bit on taking does.

I still support fewer doe tags for our area. I'd like to see something that gets the bucks past 2.5.... What exactly?? I don't know.

I'm pulling for that little bugger...I hope he/she makes it.

Update:

Little fawn is still alive!!

He went by my sons stand at 10 yds. Son said he looks healthy and appears to have gotten a bit bigger with thicker coat---still has spots.

25 deer heading to beans, only one was a buck

Only my opinion... but we are almost into January and winter hasn't even showed up as far as we are concerned in the North..... Snow showed up in November, then left for a month. It just now turned cold and we got a little snow. We are stealing days from spring right now. In 60 days it could very easily begin to warm back up. Compared to last year when we had almost 120 days of COLD and SNOW (lots and lots of it).

I would be amazed if this winter turned out to be tough on the deer. MANY fawns made it through last winter, and it started almost 60 days ago compared to this year. They are tough, that little dude can do it!

-John

I don't want to jinx it but there is almost nothing this winter can do to catch up to last winter. We have bare ground (getting a couple feet tonight) and have not been below 10 degrees yet. This point last year we were over 150" of snow and had many below 0 days. We really need every doe to have and raise fawns next year. This is easily the lowest population I have witnessed in the 12 years I have been here.

That is great.Thanks for the update bwoods.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear.

You are right John! Just last week guys were scampering to get their fish houses off the lake as we had 48 degree temps and 1/2 inch of rain.

The deer had even backed off my beans, as the neighboring bean stubble was all exposed. It's great for wildlife!!

Another update

Little fawn is still alive. He/she triggers the camera on occasion!

looks healthyimage.jpg

Some warm weather coming. That fawn's chances are going up every day.