All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction

Bluff Buck

Buck Fawn
I am introducing myself to the group. I just finished my 50th deer season this year! I have been hunting the property I currently own since 1971. This property is in climate zone 5. In 1997 I purchased 40 acres in the Baraboo Bluffs, south central Wisconsin. The 40 acres is part of a one square mile chunk of woods. I started to do some habitat enhancement in 2016. These enhancements to date include some hinge cuttings, bedding areas/sanctuary and creating a small food inter-woods food plot. I have a lot to learn but also I can share of my past experiences which may help other members. My current interest is to learn from the members who have planted chestnut trees and how they are doing in zones 4 and 5. I look forward to being part of this group and contributing to help all of us grow in our habitat knowledge.

I am introducing myself to the group. I just finished my 50th deer season this year! I have been hunting the property I currently own since 1971. This property is in climate zone 5. In 1997 I purchased 40 acres in the Baraboo Bluffs, south central Wisconsin. The 40 acres is part of a one square mile chunk of woods. I started to do some habitat enhancement in 2016. These enhancements to date include some hinge cuttings, bedding areas/sanctuary and creating a small food inter-woods food plot. I have a lot to learn but also I can share of my past experiences which may help other members. My current interest is to learn from the members who have planted chestnut trees and how they are doing in zones 4 and 5. I look forward to being part of this group and contributing to help all of us grow in our habitat knowledge.
Welcome Bluff Buck!

Welcome.

Welcome I have land near Adams

Welcome. Can’t help with the chestnuts but hopefully someone can.

Welcome! I’m just south of you in Iowa County.

I have some American chestnuts going into year 10 this spring. They are growing well, but I haven’t seen any nuts yet. I want to say that I planted 4 dunstan chestnuts over a two year period. None of them survived their first winter. I may try some Chinese chestnuts some day though.

Happy to have you on here, Bluff Buck!! Welcome!! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome Bluff Buck, good intro!

I'm located in central Wisconsin and planted 25 Chinese chestnuts three years ago. So far they are all still alive. I did have some die back on a lot of the growing tips, but they did put on a lot of new growth this summer. I also planted three hybrid chestnuts from badgersett located in Minnesota in 2016. They have been growing great and I actually got my first flower this summer. I would have order more from them, but there service and quality was sub par. I also have one Chinese chestnut that I must have planted over ten years ago and has been struggling due to my neglect, but last year it did put out a new shoot that grew at least 8 ft . This spring I see the new shoot died on south west side low to the ground. I think is was some sort of sun scalding. This fall I painted all the trunks with white paint and will see how they due this winter.