Interesting

scott44

5 year old buck +
David Benscoter sent two of the newly rediscovered apples to me this spring. Goldridge, which I know nothing about and Givens also known as Arkansas Baptist.
I'm guessing it was identified late since the article stated 10 varieties found, but only names 9, Givens not being one listed.
This is one of 6 new Givens/Ark Baptist trees I grafted just coming to life.
e4376e630ba304e87f45b171b56f3edc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Merle, I’ve always admired your efforts to track down and preserve southern apple varieties – kudos for that!

Scott, it looks like the Lost Apple Project is based in Washington, but not limited to that area exclusively. Someone in the organization might be interested in looking at your old orchard, and have a contact in MI to refer you to. Regardless, that’s an interesting article.

Hey Scott, Gold Ridge is a seedling of Yellow Newton Pippin from Luther Burbank. David sent me this one plus Streaked Pippin, Kittageskee, and Ewalt ( a seedling from the early 1800's that originated within a few miles of my home here in Pa.) I might have to hit you up for some Given/Arkansas Baptist scion in a few years. :):)

Hey Scott, Gold Ridge is a seedling of Yellow Newton Pippin from Luther Burbank. David sent me this one plus Streaked Pippin, Kittageskee, and Ewalt ( a seedling from the early 1800's that originated within a few miles of my home here in Pa.) I might have to hit you up for some Given/Arkansas Baptist scion in a few years. :):)
Thanks! I have two Gold Ridge grafts growing from what David sent and it sounds promising.
Unless I'm hit with dicamba again this year I should have a few decent Givens scions next spring.
My hope is Collins clears quarantine so I'll have it also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk