I saw a unicorn!

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
Okay, so not really a unicorn but just as rare. Armadillos have gradually moved into our part of the country the last couple of years. Usually we only see them dead on the road. Yesterday I had a couple of them rooting around under my stand. They’re strange creatures for sure.690A844D-C978-47D9-8F66-61EAF9405A77.jpeg452958D9-6011-4240-88A9-648E1602FD58.jpeg

Now this is a unicorn in a rare action photo...
Unicorn.png

Ok when he is not moving so fast he is only a single spiker so oh well
MFDC9858.JPG

Last edited:
Can somebody explain to a northerner all the armadillo hate?

Can somebody explain to a northerner all the armadillo hate?
They are a nonnative invasive that is a prolific breeder and nest destroyer. So for us they are one more threat to turkey, quail and other ground nesting birds. Also they are loud as can be in a hardwood stand. For me they are like a hog. Shoot every one you see.

Their spread north has been wild and frustrating to watch. I remember growing up hunting South Georgia and we had them there but they were a novelty. Then they started working north while I was in college in central Georgia, then to north Georgia, now to middle Tennessee. I haven’t seen one yet in kentucky but they are coming. I have a buddy who has shot over 30 since deer season started in middle/north Tennessee. Last year he had zero.

They are a nonnative invasive that is a prolific breeder and nest destroyer. So for us they are one more threat to turkey, quail and other ground nesting birds. Also they are loud as can be in a hardwood stand. For me they are like a hog. Shoot every one you see.nocturnal
They eat all the bird eggs we fight to save.
They also root up the yard, dig holes that can hurt livestock, and can carry/transmit leprosy.

Thanks guys. Had no idea. I feel fairly ignorant about them.

Howboutthemdawags....when you say non-native invasive...you are referring to their spread North correct? They are native to all of the Americas I am pretty sure.

Thanks guys. Had no idea. I feel fairly ignorant about them.

Howboutthemdawags....when you say non-native invasive...you are referring to their spread North correct? They are native to all of the Americas I am pretty sure.
No im almost certain they are native to South America and not here. Someone may correct me but I thought I read that.

Edit after some quick research it does look like they are a nonnative invasive from South America

No im almost certain they are native to South America and not here. Someone may correct me but I thought I read that.

Edit after some quick research it does look like they are a nonnative invasive from South America

Thanks! Did not know that.