All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am afraid to ask or start but is anyone trading scions???

Any good late drop crabs scions out there?
Got a new late drop apple plot going in this spring.
Trees this far will be
2 Yates
1 Arkansas black
1 golden hornet
1 I55 (wild mo tree)

Looking for suggestions on some other late drop trees that do well in Midwest. Got a handful of rootstocks to play with...

Terry Winter
Keener Seedling
Dozier Crabapple
Wickson

Looking for
Apples
gravenstein, keener Seedling, bevans favorite, yellow Newtown Pippin, Kinnairds Choice, winter jon

Pear
Harrow sweet

Have

Yates
Horse
Pink Lady
Ozark gold
Winesap
Wine crisp
Sundance
Golden delicious
Honey crisp
Arkansas black spur
Springdale
Cauley
Captain Davis
Enterprise
Liberty
Gala
Coffelt Beauty
Anna
Arkansas Sweet
Dozier Crabapple
What I believe is calloway Crabapple or similar to it. 1-1.5 inch red crabapples that hang on to the tree.

Limited amounts

Ashmeads kernel
Ribston Pippin
Bramley's seedling
Wolf River

Pears

Seckle
Warren
Moonglow
Keifer
Ayers
Phoenix
Harrow Delight
Magness
Gosnell Pear
Shinsheki

Possibly limited amounts

Arthur Ledbetter
John Ledbetter
Galloway
Mrs Laneen
Gate

What varieties are you looking for.
I went back through reading a bunch of of old posts and made a small list, i'll have to find it, but i do remember one of them was that Airport apple!!

I went back through reading a bunch of of old posts and made a small list, i'll have to find it, but i do remember one of them was that Airport apple!!
Can't find anything on Airport apple on net search. What is it

I'm betting it's the crazy ED airport apple

I'm betting it's the crazy ED airport apple

It is.

A picture was posted on here recently in another thread. I've been meaning to respond to that one.

I should be able to get you a piece of the Airport apple off of my tree.

I'm looking for some good crabapple scion wood for deer, varieties like:

Chestnut crabapple
All-Winter Hangover
Winter Wildlife crab
Trailman crab
Violi's hanging crab
Wickson crab
Centennial crab

I have a backyard orchard of 90 trees but it is still fairly young, the oldest trees are now 5 years old so I'll have some scion wood available come February.
Here's a list of some of the "older" (3-5 years old) trees in my orchard that I should be able to get some scion wood off of:

RJ Gold
Golden Delicious
Honeycrisp
Zestar
Liberty
Wolf River
Granny Smith
Smoothee
Ruby Mac
Crimson Crisp
Sweet Sixteen
Enterprise

I am already over 400 trees in my orchards and most are not deer trees and require a lot of care so I am taking it easy these days lol. I spray all my trees7 or 8 times per season

They give those chemicals away these days? :)

I won't be able to use all the scion from GRIN, no way as they send 2 sticks per and you can get about 6 graft of each variety off of them. Thats way to much for me, i'll be doing somewhere around 60 grafts this year.

I will have some personal scion available:

Chestnut Crab
Gala
Cortland
Winesap
Homestead Crab (can find out lots about it on my grafting thread, and heres a taste test).

My stock is pretty young, i'll have so many more varieties available in 2-3 years.

My grin list this spring if someone would like some.

GRIN 2017:
Egremont Russet 260000
orleans reinette 280028
Kidd's orange red 247026
Wetonka Crab 589622
Black Gilliflower 588973
Pitmastin Pineapple 280029
Transcendent Crab 589907
Otterson Crab 590178
northwest Greening 590182
Winesap #588799
Cowichan Crab 589057
Columbia Crab 588957
Dasyealyx Crab 589425
Shafer Crab 589465
Keepsake 589469
Hawkeye 590026
Haralson 589469
Imperial Stayman (late) 283698
Lord Lamborne 588884
Pumpkin Sweet 589257
Priscilla 589965
Weidners Goldreinette 590143
Trailman Crab 589519
Dayton 590183
Blue Pearmain 590180
Slor 613832
Grimes Golden 588791

I won't be able to use all the scion from GRIN, no way as they send 2 sticks per and you can get about 6 graft of each variety off of them. Thats way to much for me, i'll be doing somewhere around 60 grafts this year.

Chestnut Crab
Gala
Cortland
Winesap
Homestead Crab (can find out lots about it on my grafting thread, and heres a taste test).

My stock is pretty young, i'll have so many more varieties available in 2-3 years.

GRIN 2017:
Egremont Russet 260000
orleans reinette 280028
Kidd's orange red 247026
Wetonka Crab 589622
Black Gilliflower 588973
Transcendent Crab 589907
Otterson Crab 590178
Winesap #588799
Cowichan Crab 589057
Columbia Crab 588957
Dasyealyx Crab 589425
Shafer Crab 589465
Keepsake 589469
Hawkeye 590026
Haralson 589469
Lord Lamborne 588884
Pumpkin Sweet 589257
Priscilla 589965
Trailman Crab 589519
Dayton 590183
Blue Pearmain 590180
Slor 613832
Grimes Golden 588791

I see wetonka, a Nevis crab offspring on there.
My shafer from Grin did not take last year. I think it is on the Grin list again.

I ate a handful of crabs from an older tree on a farmstead. It was smaller than whitney, but tasted great. I wonder if it could be shafer.
It was not centennial or chestnut or dolgo.

Here is the link to that information.

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1017376

PI_589465.JPG

Looking for
Apples
gravenstein, keener Seedling, bevans favorite, yellow Newtown Pippin, Kinnairds Choice, winter jon

Neahawg,

If someone hasn't offered already, I can supply some Keener Seedling and if Newtown Pippen is equivalent to Yellow Newtown Pippen (this link suggests that it is: http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/descripts/np.html), then I can supply some of that too.

Lot2Learn

With that info, I'm about 95% certain that one of the unknown crabs I have locally is Shafer. Thanks BV :)

That kind of stuff is awesome, love it!

Do you know if that crab still has fruit hanging?

The crab I call LP VFW isn't whitney, centennial, chestnut, or dolgo. A good amount of the fruit is still hanging.

I doubt it is still holding fruit. It was an early crab, but the fruit resembled the GRIN pictures.

I have a Pillsbury crab and maybe a LP crab. Is that the same as they LP VFW?

Chestnut Crab
Gala
Cortland
Winesap

GRIN 2017:
Egremont Russet 260000
orleans reinette 280028
Kidd's orange red 247026
Wetonka Crab 589622
Black Gilliflower 588973
Transcendent Crab 589907
Otterson Crab 590178
Winesap #588799
Cowichan Crab 589057
Columbia Crab 588957
Dasyealyx Crab 589425
Shafer Crab 589465
Keepsake 589469
Hawkeye 590026
Haralson 589469
Lord Lamborne 588884
Pumpkin Sweet 589257
Priscilla 589965
Trailman Crab 589519
Dayton 590183
Blue Pearmain 590180
Slor 613832
Grimes Golden 588791

Buckvelvet, do you know anything about disease resistance of some of those crabapples? I am very interested in some of your late dropping disease resistant crabapple varieties. I have several different apple varieties I could trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should be able to get you a piece of the Airport apple off of my tree.

That would be great Rick, I would say that you have most of the varieties that i am looking for this year, and you don't live too far from me, How did your Loysburg apple graft do this year?

The LP crab is LP VFW, it grows near the memorial park in LP and was obviously planted by the city a long time ago (guessing 20 years). Fruit ripened sometime in September as I recall, there's still quite a few hanging now.

Pillsbury is a wild tree that grows on CR 105. There's still a ton of fruit hanging on that tree.

If you successfully graft a Shafer it will be interesting to see it and the LP VFW growing near each other. Should be able to find out for sure if they are the same variety that way.

edit - was just reading on Shafer and other Canadian hardy crabs. From the descriptions I was reading, and Art's description of the farmstead crab - I wonder if it's Rescue?

I think one Rescue graft seemed to take. Growth was very slow this year as compared to the dolgo rootstock and I am also pushing these trees towards wetter ground besides. Not a good thing.

I need a berm to plant them on, but winter kill could be worse in those conditions I suspect.

I ordered no rootstock for this spring, but will just topwork a few seedlings and flowering crabs.

Which ripens earlier, Shafer or Rescue? The fruit did run a bit under 2 inches, but had a very heavy fruit load this summer. It was in southern Stearns county.

Looking for
Apples

Pear
Harrow sweet

Have

Yates
Horse
Pink Lady
Ozark gold
Winesap
Wine crisp
Sundance
Golden delicious
Honey crisp
Arkansas black spur
Springdale
Cauley
Captain Davis
Enterprise
Liberty
Gala
Coffelt Beauty
Anna
Arkansas Sweet
Dozier Crabapple
What I believe is calloway Crabapple or similar to it. 1-1.5 inch red crabapples that hang on to the tree.

Limited amounts

Ashmeads kernel
Ribston Pippin
Bramley's seedling
Wolf River

Pears

Seckle
Warren
Moonglow
Keifer
Ayers
Phoenix
Harrow Delight
Magness
Gosnell Pear
Shinsheki

Possibly limited amounts

Arthur Ledbetter
John Ledbetter
Galloway
Mrs Laneen
Gate

Impressive orchard varieties! How does AB spur variety differ from AB? Wish I had some varieties you were after. Is their anyway you could ship me some dozier crabs or any other late droppers you recommend. Late droppers I have
AB, Goldrush, an enterprise thus far.
Be glad to pay for them an shipping.

Arkansas Black spur hasn't fruited for me yet but it's claimed to be a variant of Arkansas Black that has heavier spur production yielding more fruit. This is supposed to cause the tree to naturally dwarf more.