All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting land insurance?

Bill

Administrator
who do use for this?

As a life member I have purchased liability insurance for years from the guys with a pretty magazine cover.
Time for a new agent. But they had what seemed like a good policy. Anyone using a different company?

I use farmers mutual out of Missouri for our Missouri farms. My liability policy and home owners policy is pretty well priced compared to up here in MN

My guy is about half way between your place and mine Bill. He may be worth a call.

http://tonybaxterinsurance.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I use them for the house.

Didn't know they also covered hunting related stuff.

who do use for this?

As a life member I have purchased liability insurance for years from the guys with a pretty magazine cover.
Time for a new agent. But they had what seemed like a good policy. Anyone using a different company?

Use your agent who understand your whole financial situation. They can add a rider to your current policy. Have your agent explain what you are insuring against.

What you are effectively insuring is against liability in the event someone sues you against your assets.

We have a $5 mil policy that is about an extra $400/yr.

Thanks. I use them for the house.

Didn't know they also covered hunting related stuff.

Bill you should be able to get a general liability umbrella policy from whomever sells you your auto and homeowners. I would try that first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have Auto Owners for my homeowners, vehicles, and umbrella. They also have a rider to cover my farm in MO as far as liability, plus I added $40K coverage to my equipment there. It was cheap.

I use All Auto for my land insurance. Got it through my insurance agent who handles all my other insurance. It is a $1 million umbrella general liability policy and costs around $300. I am not giving my land to someone who has an accident on it, especially someone who might be a trespasser or other nefarious character.

I have found that most companies offer a policy for liability.I do know that there are different laws for different states.Such as in Kansas I was told that the landowner will need to file trespassing charges against a person that and gets trespasses and gets injured and I have seen this done when a hunter that was trespassing fell out of a tree.I also insured my ranger with same company

Bill,

Big difference when you don't live on the property. We have our liability insurance through the same place as you. We could not find fire/theft for the barn and equipment at the time so we've been risking it in that area. One of my LLC partners deals with the insurance. He said he has a line on something through the farm bureau that might offer fire/theft in addition to the liability. He is looking into it deeper but has not reported back yet.

Thanks,

Jack

As well, might inquire about timber insurance if you have assets tied up in this regard. Arson, ice, beetle, wildfire, wind damage...tough to find a super great policy but there are decent policies that might be worth considering.

Thanks for the ideas. One part I left out is that I lease land. With the old policy I could add this land and the owner to the policy so he had the warm fuzzy's.

Guess it's something I can ask
My agent. Worst case it looks like the NRA offers a policy similar to what I had that allows for a lease and the owner.

I called Tony Baxter to get a quote on my North MO farm insurance and he doesn't want to drive 40 miles to look at it???? He must be making buck if 2 hours of time isn't worth years of commissions.

Worst case it looks like the NRA offers a policy similar to what I had that allows for a lease and the owner.
Just curious Bill, and not sure exactly "how" you meant this ^^^, but exactly how is the NRA's policy a "worst case" scenario? Could you explain? Something sketchy in the coverage?

I called Tony Baxter to get a quote on my North MO farm insurance and he doesn't want to drive 40 miles to look at it???? He must be making buck if 2 hours of time isn't worth years of commissions.

Its missouri, lot of lazy bastards there, maybe he is one of them!

All I can say is he has done me good!

Just curious Bill, and not sure exactly "how" you meant this ^^^, but exactly how is the NRA's policy a "worst case" scenario? Could you explain? Something sketchy in the coverage?

Guess I worded that wrong. Not worst case at all. I guess more of a fall back if the company I currently use doesn't offer what I need. What I need is coverage on my land and land that isn't mine, coverage for the other landowner and coverage for hunting related activities.
I have no fear that any of my guests would sue. But they have wives. Then thier are lawyers representing trespassers.

Ah, gotcha!

Its missouri, lot of lazy bastards there, maybe he is one of them!

All I can say is he has done me good!

He must be content from the big commissions he makes from all your holdings, hehe!

I always get a little stumped when people talk about hunting insurance, but I guess Wisconsin has a pretty good Recreational Immunity Law.

I do understand the need to have property insurance for hunting land and health insurance etc.

If you need "the best" insurance for your hunting property you should call Duffy (from the QDMA site) and he will include at no extra cost, his new book "finding dead bucks a year later--my tips and experiences"

I always get a little stumped when people talk about hunting insurance, but I guess Wisconsin has a pretty good Recreational Immunity Law.

I do understand the need to have property insurance for hunting land and health insurance etc.

Ever heard of the phrase "attractive nuisance". We have great recreational liability laws as well. They don't stop folks from suing and litigation, even if you prevail, can be expensive.

Farmer runs a strand of barb wire. Trespassing kid on ATV is severely injured. Lawyers argue the farmers pond was an attractive nuisance and the kid on the ATV couldn't read and the farmer intentionally strung the barb wire in a way to easily injure someone on an ATV and did not provide flagging to warn the barb wire was there.

Just an example. It doesn't matter if the farmer would prevail. There is enough there for some attorney to take a gamble and litigate on contingency. Without out insurance to cover the litigation cost, the farmer still loses. To my way of thinking anyone with assets to lose and who owns land (just home or acreage) should carry liability insurance.

Thanks,

jack