All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt or habitat?

For me, it's hunting. I purchased my first property last fall. I made my decision on a county about an hour from the house that is known for producing big deer. I knew I couldn't afford a large piece with tillable land in this county so I shifted my search and found 100 acres of wooded hills. I made sure the property had good funnels to hunt and was good area within the county. I'm 28 and would choose hunting right now, but could see myself getting addicted to habitat work as I get older.
28 with 100 acres! Good for you! There's a ton of management to be done in the woods.

Dollars spent, it's no contest though. Habitat gets the bulk of the budget. I think half my hunting clothes are still Trebark or original Realtree, and my rubber's soles are Gorilla taped on. On the flip side I bought a high end stapler for window screen.

I am shocked by this message, but not surprised, instant gratification because hunting didn't work? You started habitat management 1.5 years ago ... that sounds liked you started to plant a few plants and shrubs from Walmart and planting them in your yard ....

Nobody can answer your question, because what you are asking is what are you about ... The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has started to understand the meaning of life.

You can hunt any where, sculpting a land has no finishing line ... what is your vision for your property? :emoji_wink:
What's shocking? I owned the land but got divorced at 50 about the time I got the land. Was paying alimony, 2 tuitions, and remarried a few years later. Money was tight, but did what I could with an ATV and implements. Also didn't have the knowledge. Broke down and got a skid steer 2 years ago and started working the land. Took a weekend course at UGA on Wetland ecology to learn what to do for the birds. Then completed Level One QDMA Stewardship course. Finally started bringing together knowledge and equipment. I saw a quote once that the secret to a happy life was to find a project you were passionate about and could work on all your life, but make sure it was something you could never finish. I know what that is! The passion everyone here has for management is obvious and fun to see. I just never knew how much fun it would be to be able to make such a big difference for the critters from bugs to predators. It makes me feel like I'm doing my little part to give back to the world that has given me so much. My vision? Work with land and water as much as possible to create a paradise for the animals. And when Bullwinkle strolls by, or the waterfowl pour in, I'll be there waiting for them with my sons and hopefully some grandkids!

Dollars spent, it's no contest though. Habitat gets the bulk of the budget. I think half my hunting clothes are still Trebark or original Realtree, and my rubber's soles are Gorilla taped on. On the flip side I bought a high end stapler for window screen.
Good Lord, true about the money...and time!

sculpting a land has no finishing line ... what is your vision for your property?

That’s rough :).

The vision for my property scares me. I’ve spent years molding what I think works for deer hunting.
When I’m dead some Amish farmers kid or just some farmers kid is going to hire a bull dozer and fix it :emoji_astonished:

Oh well $hit happens.

When I’m dead some Amish farmers kid or just some farmers kid is going to hire a bull dozer and fix it :emoji_astonished:

That is what I figure will happen to all the trees and shrubs I planted.... some buyer will sub divide or a developer will put in a skate park - something horrible like that:emoji_cry:

As for the question --- Habitat, I made the switch a long time ago, now my neighbors shoot the bucks that I dont get time too.... I still get out and hunt but far less than I used to before I owned land.

Habitat,baby trees and bees

i hunt with field glasses,I-books, and Coors Lite

Keep the Buck knife sharp and listen for my wife/kids to shoot

bill

That’s rough :).

The vision for my property scares me. I’ve spent years molding what I think works for deer hunting.

Oh well $hit happens.

Or they come in and put a golf course in with house along the fairway :emoji_angry:

Or they come in and put a golf course in with house along the fairway :emoji_angry:
Oh. That would suck.

For me, it's hunting. I purchased my first property last fall. I made my decision on a county about an hour from the house that is known for producing big deer. I knew I couldn't afford a large piece with tillable land in this county so I shifted my search and found 100 acres of wooded hills. I made sure the property had good funnels to hunt and was good area within the county. I'm 28 and would choose hunting right now, but could see myself getting addicted to habitat work as I get older.
That was exactly me 10 years ago. I’ve moved up and property size and habitat and opportunities and added a wife and son along the way. My son is 1.5 now and he was the reason I sold my timber farm and bought a more diverse farm with fishing ponds and other critters to chase. I bought a new tractor this year as well. When I was about to pull the trigger on a Kubota 7060 I realized it didn’t have a buddy seat option. I went with my close #2 (a Massey 4707) so my buddy can ride along with me. My guess is that in another 5-10 years I’ll be 75% habitat, 25% hunt. Right now I’m pretty well split. 10 years ago it was 90% hunt.

That was exactly me 10 years ago. I’ve moved up and property size and habitat and opportunities and added a wife and son along the way. My son is 1.5 now and he was the reason I sold my timber farm and bought a more diverse farm with fishing ponds and other critters to chase. I bought a new tractor this year as well. When I was about to pull the trigger on a Kubota 7060 I realized it didn’t have a buddy seat option. I went with my close #2 (a Massey 4707) so my buddy can ride along with me. My guess is that in another 5-10 years I’ll be 75% habitat, 25% hunt. Right now I’m pretty well split. 10 years ago it was 90% hunt.
How do you like the Massey? I Got the 4710 this January. At my age I am not planning on ever trading up again so I'm getting the biggest I can with each purchase :-) Waiting on grandkids for the buddy seat.

Congratulations on the new tractor! That is my goal, to hunt this for a few years and sell for a larger farm that is more diverse. One where I can plant tree's, install food plots, and a maybe a pond or two. I love being out there but always timid because I don't want to push the deer out.

How do you like the Massey? I Got the 4710 this January. At my age I am not planning on ever trading up again so I'm getting the biggest I can with each purchase :-) Waiting on grandkids for the buddy seat.
So far so good. I only have 11 miles on it so not even close to getting a real good handle on it. This is my first cab tractor so that in and of itself is a learning curve! I can tell I’m going to love having shade, AC and a radio though. I like the loader function...very smooth and easy to control at all speeds. Going from a hydrostatic transmission to the 6x6 w power shuttle has been a little learning curve as well.

So far so good. I only have 11 miles on it so not even close to getting a real good handle on it. This is my first cab tractor so that in and of itself is a learning curve! I can tell I’m going to love having shade, AC and a radio though. I like the loader function...very smooth and easy to control at all speeds. Going from a hydrostatic transmission to the 6x6 w power shuttle has been a little learning curve as well.
Lucky for me I don't have anything to UNlearn. I didn't shop other brands since my older son has worked for AGCO straight out of college. Figured since he was on THEIR payroll now, I'd support them best I could!

Hunting right now... I don't have enough time right now for habitat work since my properties our out of state. My long term goal is to get into habitat work when I am living on the property.

I spend way more time on habitat than hunting on my property. I'm like several others on here who save it for my wife and family and hunt public land or elsewhere. We've owned the farm for 6 years and it's been fun to see wildlife utilizing our habitat improvements. As far what's going to happen to it after my wife and I are gone consider a conservation easement. That's what we did and I can sleep well knowing my city born son in law won't be chopping it up into lots.

Deer hunting was my first real passion. Martial arts became my career and a unique passion all its own. Going on 38 years now. But being a new property owner (3 years) has been a new passion. Why can’t we love more than one thing? Love to do habitat work, love to teach, love to train, love to sit in a tree or even a blind and just enjoy the world, the thrill of the hunt has never waned. Faith first, Family second, and several things tied for third. I just know we’re blessed when we can combine all those things. I guess I answer Yes too.

Deer hunting was my first real passion. Martial arts became my career and a unique passion all its own. Going on 38 years now. But being a new property owner (3 years) has been a new passion. Why can’t we love more than one thing? Love to do habitat work, love to teach, love to train, love to sit in a tree or even a blind and just enjoy the world, the thrill of the hunt has never waned. Faith first, Family second, and several things tied for third. I just know we’re blessed when we can combine all those things. I guess I answer Yes too.
Good thing we don't have to choose!

For sure Habitat. I could do habitat projects from December thru August and be content watching family hunt from Sept thru November. I’d rather plant a tree than hang a bow stand! I love both, but my passion is habitat!

I hope my work creates a paradise for my kids, nieces, and nephews to enjoy together as I watch them form strong bonds and traditions hunting.