All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to ship a large heavy item ?

JFK52

5 year old buck +
I could use some information on how to ship a large and heavy (420+pounds) item. Specifically a single row tree planter. I have never shipped such an item. There is no way to disassemble the planter that would make it easier to ship. It currently sits on a "sled" that I made out of an old treated wood ladder from a stand that was in a fallen oak tree. This sled keeps the planter upright. I imagine I need to put it on a pallet or two for starters. Where do I find a freight company that will ship such an item? I could take the planter to Stevens Point or Madison WI to start it's journey.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can ship through Fastenal your store to nearest store of the person you are shipping to.

Check out their website

You would be shipping what is considered "LTL" less than truck load freight.

Google "LTL shipping" and you will find lots of options.

Sounds like you are in my region (I'm in Chippewa Falls). If you really need a hand, we could ship it for you from my day job located in Chippewa.

-John

Where are you shipping to?

Where are you shipping it to? Where is it shipping from? Called an O/D.. Then people can give you a quote on a lane. It will be obviously LTL. My neighbor runs a Mercedes Sprinter Van all of the country, not affected by DOT. I guarantee he will do it for cash contingent upon where it is. He will give you a decent quote. Nice guy.. His kid and my kid are best friends.

exact size of the item will help.

Pay attention for a couple days as to what freight companies have trucks frequently delivering goods in your area. Freight companies like Old Dominion, R & L Carriers, and even FedEx and UPS will ship LTL loads and ones that are already in your area daily can typically give you a lower rate. Height does not matter near as much as the square footprint of the pallet and the weight. If you keep it confined to the footprint of 1 standard sized pallet(40"x48"), that will be the cheapest route, if it gets larger than that, they may charge you quite a bit more.

I think you can ship through Fastenal your store to nearest store of the person you are shipping to.

Check out their website

FYI...now that I'm on a PC here is the page
https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third-party-logistics-(3pl)

I heard their rates are pretty good because they have trucks going to their stores anyways, but the downside is you have to drop off and pickup from a store.

You can also play the https://www.uship.com/ game as seen on Shipping Wars

The item is being shipped to Franklinville, NY 14737. I have no idea of the dimensions of the unit at present. I have just started this process, so I appreciate all the input. The planter is located at my farm in Almond, WI. I have the ability to take it to a depot as required with Fastenal. Their nearest store is in Waupaca WI.

UP Powers, PM sent